Anyone for Eggheads? Page 4

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 22 2009, 7:47 PM BST

which designer started out as a tailor on Saville Row and chalked the word 'c**t' in the inside the lining of a suit made for Prince Charles.

Treason! Behead that designer!

Quote: Aaron @ July 24 2009, 12:16 AM BST

Treason! Behead that designer!

Alexander McQueen. I'm sure Camilla wears his stuff.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 24 2009, 7:29 AM BST

Camilla's a cross-dresser? I'm shocked, but not surprised.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 24 2009, 1:58 PM BST

Ah, what if Alexander (or Lee to give him his real name) is the cross-dresser?

What? A man in a dress? Come off it! How naive do you take me to be!?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 24 2009, 1:58 PM BST

Yes - she gets very angry putting on her twin sets.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 24 2009, 7:29 AM BST

What, the bald guy from the Thick of It and Inbetweeners?

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd July 2009, 10:24 PM

I frequently watch this and am amazed.

Why do the challengers never know some of the most basic of general knowledge.

Why are most of the teams of a similar age - ie all in their 20s or all in their 50s?

You need a balance of ages and knowledge.

Would anyone be interested in POSSIBLY putting a BCG team together?

I'd love to try myself against Judith.

Did this ever eventuate?

Your post still rings true today.

No. Although I'd prefer to go up against Lisa now though.

Well, make hay and all that. If I lived in the UK, I be on those shows like a shot. Unless they have "no arseholes as contestants" policies.

I think quiz shows are very much a thing of the past and nowadays, for all practical purposes, not dissimilar from a competition to see who can hold the most cabbages at once.

In the past (before the Internet), there was a colossal gulf in society between people who knew a lot and those who knew very little. Leaving the aristocracy out of it, people who knew a lot were at the top end of society and people who knew almost nothing were at the bottom.

Nowadays, of course, with the advent of Google, everybody has almost immediate access to every fact in the world that might reasonably be demanded from them on a TV quiz show. Clearly, one isn't allowed to use Google on a TV quiz show and so the winners on such shows will always be people who carry the information around in their heads rather than in their pockets but the point I'm making is that nowadays people on TV quiz shows are demonstrating an almost useless ability as there are very few situations in everyday life when it's important to come up with a general knowledge fact in 2 seconds rather than in the 15 seconds it might take the average person in the street to Google it.

In the days before the Internet, people who knew a lot were admired and respected but, nowadays, having a vast amount of general knowledge is no more useful or admirable than being able to recite the telephone directory from memory would have been in the days when we actually had telephone directories.

Given that having an extensive general knowledge is a characteristic of someone who's spent a great deal of time reading books when they could have been outdoors playing football, climbing trees, cavorting with members of the opposite sex, singing, dancing, drinking and generally enjoying themselves - and given that all the general knowledge in the world is now available almost instantly to people who have never read a book but have instead spent their lives deriving pleasure from the aforementioned activities - surely the day is not far off when the producers of "Eggheads" are going to change the name of the show to "Knobheads".

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd March 2019, 9:21 AM

Given that having an extensive general knowledge is a characteristic of someone who's spent a great deal of time reading books when they could have been outdoors playing football, climbing trees, cavorting with members of the opposite sex, singing, dancing, drinking and generally enjoying themselves - and given that all the general knowledge in the world is now available almost instantly to people who have never read a book but have instead spent their lives deriving pleasure from the aforementioned activities - surely the day is not far off when the producers of "Eggheads" are going to change the name of the show to "Knobheads".

What poppycock. I read a lot and cavort with trees of the opposite sex and get drunk with footballs. And while those home-team Eggheads regulars might look like a bunch of boring stiffs (that's just a manufactured image for the show), I have it on good authority that they spend most of their time outdoors, making merry and attending tree-top football orgies.

You may have access to all this but you have to be able to remember it.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd March 2019, 10:42 PM

You may have access to all this but you have to be able to remember it.

Only if you're intending to use facts acquired from Google to compete on a quiz show, and I wasn't suggesting that anybody could do that.

I knew I wasn't doing a very good job of explaining myself. :(