Newsjack Series 20 - February 2019 Page 15

Quote: Newbie @ 25th February 2019, 12:46 PM

Hi, complete newbie here... I've just submitted my first ever sketch at 12 o'clock exactly (12:00), but got an automated reply (below). I guess that means my email didn't arrive in their inbox till 12:01 and I've missed the deadline - does anyone know? Lesson learned I guess :-)

Thanks for submitting to Newsjack

Our new series starts on 7th Feburary on Radio 4Extra, and we will be taking submissions from Thursday 31st January.

Any submissions recieved before this date will not be read.

Once the series has started, the deadlines will be the following

Monday Midday - Sketches
Tuesday Midday - One liners

Thanks!

Team Newsjack

You get that message whatever time you submit.
I've no idea how strict they are if you're 30 seconds over the deadline though.

Hey there. Nothing to worry about, that's been the standard auto response email this season. As for the deadline, as far as I'm aware, NJ give a few minutes wriggle room after the deadline.

Quote: Thosisd @ 22nd February 2019, 11:38 AM

The sketch was my take on the 'class clowns' in space story. Instead of sending comedians, I changed the concept to a captain trapped on a journey to Mars with a clown he's secretly terrified of.

I also did a sketch on the clown in space story and I think one of the reasons yours was picked over mine is that extra twist, the clown-phobia angle, which instantly comes off the page as a funny concept. I went straighter in my premise with the clown, clowning around as disaster befalls the crew.

FYI here's my version of the sketh (which I was pretty happy with). Would be interested to see yours: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/34874/

Quote: TheTrashBat @ 25th February 2019, 12:56 PM

You get that message whatever time you submit.
I've no idea how strict they are if you're 30 seconds over the deadline though.

Hi Trashbat
What was the nearly email for? Congrats on that.

Quote: B T F @ 25th February 2019, 1:07 PM

Hi Trashbat
What was the nearly email for? Congrats on that.

Hi

Thanks!!
It turned out I had 2 gags in the script!
I was a bit surprised which two, neither were exactly groundbreaking.

"This week FlyBMI announced that all of their planes have been permanently grounded.
Unless they tidy their rooms and apologise to their Mum."

"India's fastest train broke down on its first trip this week.
Further evidence that the British influence is still strong in Delhi."

It did inspire me to have a punt at my first sketch this week though, submitted with 9 mins to spare!

@Danno, TrashBat and BTF - Thank you, that's a relief! I'd be very surprised if my little sketch gets picked anyway, but it's nice to (almost) know it is going to be read. Good luck to everyone else who has submitted something today!

But late to the party but congratulations to all those who got an e-mail last week, well done.

And special mention to Thosisd for getting three things, including a sketch in. Does that mean you've got 2 sketches in the script for 2 shows? If so I'd definitely be angling for a writers' room invite (seriously, that is an incredible non-com hit rate).

Bad luck too to Trashbat. For me the FlyBMI one they used was the pick of the episode so you were up against the best.

Good luck everyone for the week 4 lull!

Quote: Danno @ 25th February 2019, 12:04 PM

I bottled it this week. Contracted the inevitable mid-series blues.

Hey Danno don't give up. You got a nearly!

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 25th February 2019, 1:02 PM

I also did a sketch on the clown in space story and I think one of the reasons yours was picked over mine is that extra twist, the clown-phobia angle, which instantly comes off the page as a funny concept. I went straighter in my premise with the clown, clowning around as disaster befalls the crew.

FYI here's my version of the sketh (which I was pretty happy with). Would be interested to see yours: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/34874/

Thanks for sharing that. It was fun. I really liked it.

@BTF...thanks for the encouragement...a full house of sketchy oneliners has just been submitted.

I managed only 5 this week. As always, I think there's some broadcast-worthy material in there, only to be proved wrong by Thursday evening. But I had to submit earlier than normal since "the day job" is too distracting ATM and I'd rather send 5 now, than wait for mid-morning inspiration and miss the deadline.

Good luck everyone!

Quote: StephenM @ 25th February 2019, 1:40 PM

Bad luck too to Trashbat. For me the FlyBMI one they used was the pick of the episode so you were up against the best.

Thank you, very kind!

Soooooo, the NJ template...... I just checked my sent messages and realised the formatting for the stuff I've sent is a right mess. It looked fine on my screen! Anyone else having the same issue?

Managed to submit a full house. I suspect I may have gone slightly dark this week.

Quote: TheTrashBat @ 26th February 2019, 12:15 PM

Thank you, very kind!

Soooooo, the NJ template...... I just checked my sent messages and realised the formatting for the stuff I've sent is a right mess. It looked fine on my screen! Anyone else having the same issue?

Tbh I had to type freehand today so did not use the template. Am sure it will be fine. They will be able to work out what you mean.
I was tired and stupid and rushed and sent in a bad week bad week one...

Quote: TheTrashBat @ 26th February 2019, 12:15 PM

Thank you, very kind!

It looks really odd when viewing back on mobile phone. I'd not worry too much.

My formatting always looks off after sending. All shifted and strange spaces.

It'll be fine.