This Time With Alan Partridge Page 3

I loved the first episode, I think it's very unfair to compare this to any previous Alan Partridge shows as this is totally different but I thought it was great and it definitely knocked Warren into fits.

Legend. A Spice Girls reunion, Bianca Guaccero on TV every weekday, AND new Alan Partridge. Even I'm positive.

Micheal that has to be more wishful thinking than anything else because what I saw was a diluted character working a script bereft of comedy. The only joke being noted on the show is so old that its embarrassing .

Quote: G180e @ 26th February 2019, 10:09 AM

I think it's very unfair to compare this to any previous Alan Partridge shows as this is totally different........................

Yup, you nailed it there - it's not funny.

There are writers on this page including myself who would give their first born to have a 28 minute slot on BBC 1 at prime time. And if we got it we would make a better fist of it than this, it was piss piss poor and in no way reflects the pool of talent that gets no chance while 'Names' just drift through and bring tat with them . It happened with Open All Hours , Fools & Horses and a host of others and it burns my head out.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 26th February 2019, 6:40 AM

Coogan's inability to see how poor that was serves to shows that he just turns up dressed like him and says the words on the script.............Partridge is the solely child of Armando Iannucci.

Spoken like a writer. You make some good points but Steve Coogan has clearly filled out much of the details of Alan Partridge. So much so that he doesn't need to reveal his thoughts, you just know from his expressions. His whole character is so well rounded and credible. He's a credit to them both.

The chemistry here is wrong. The Gibbons brothers (the writers) also wrote on Alpha Papa and Scissored Isle, they got nominated for an award for the latter, so is it about having the right team dynamic ? Peter Seller and Hancock never wrote anything funny, yet I wouldn't discount them. I've also see Armando Iannucci fall flat.

I agree on all counts Firkin, but taken in isolation Coogan should be able to steer a writer if they wander slightly, these ones did more than wander and he let them? KMKYWAP is to date Iannuccis Swan Lake , it is faultless daring and hilarious. What we are seeing is the dancer in 'Swan Lake' bouncing around to Black Sabbath to a crowd expecting a set standard. Surely if Coogan is a major part then he could have sorted this out before the first draft.
Both men are funny and all of us fall on are arses and Coogan is a superb actor , but from what I saw last night Alan Partridge is clearly Iannuccis baby and Coogans is a step parent And if the two get together to make a show where Alan Partridge is a step parent I would pay to see it .

The big difference between this series of AP and all the previous series is that, in the past, Alan occupied a relatively powerful and respected position in the world portrayed in the shows.

We've seen him as the star of his own TV chat show, we've seen him as the star of his own radio show and we've seen him living in a motel and enjoying the respect of his personal assistant, the hotel handyman and (on the face of it, at least) the rest of the hotel staff. In all those situations, there have been people who clearly thought him a dickhead but for all intents and purposes, he's been the king of his own little castle.

This time (see what I did there?), things are different: he is co-hosting a TV show with another presenter who is infinitely better at the job than he is and he appears to be respected by nobody. Everybody around him knows he's a dickhead and treats him accordingly and where is the comedy value in that? There isn't any.

Rood that is a fair point but the character has a large following many of who could have easily done a better job based on their knowledge of the character , they could have easily extrapolated from the character on KMKYWAP which is in essence what I believe his fans want to see.
When you go to see a rock band you want the hits or the old tracks not the new album not all in one sitting. There should have been the remnants of AP that they bounced off on, but it wasn't there . So in essence what we were shown was almost an entirely different character?

Not so good this.
It just feels old.
And I can't believe how little effort they've put in to make it look authentic.
Not sure I'll watch another.

Quote: Firkin @ 26th February 2019, 12:33 PM

Peter Seller and Hancock never wrote anything funny..........................

I am a massive fan of both, and I grant you Tony died on his feet whenever he tried to do his own thing - one has only to look at his toe curling performance at the Festival Hall in the mid 60s; but Sellers (!?) he did some fabulous work during and post The Goons with albums such as Songs for Swinging Sellers and his hilarious takes on Beatles numbers - the most well know being of course him as Laurence Olivier/Richard III doing "Hard Days' Night" AND I highly recommend the Dr.Strangelove's "She Loves You" and then there's the wonderful and hilarious albums with stuff like 'Balham - Gateway To The South'

Quote: Lazzard @ 26th February 2019, 3:02 PM

Nit sure I'll watch another.

Said previous, I'll stick with my two strikes and you're out and give it one more week, otherwise I certainly won't bother

I thought it was mostly funny. I particularly got a good laugh out of the hand washing bit.

It was very funny and I know when I watch it again it will still have lots of lol moments. I have a feeling it's going to get better each week with a few surprises. Mind you they have had long enough to work on it because this thread was started over a year ago. The Twitter segment was the best part because it was such a failure. Not Alan's fault but still made him look inept.

It's even better a second time, it was so densely packed with stuff to notice, and apparently it's more fleshed out in the later episodes. I can't wait

First few thoughts as it was aired, was that Coogan had forgotten how to be Alan Partridge and was more like David Brent - but not a convincing Brent.

Too many awkward silences and just overdone a little too much.

A bit bland - but I'll watch the whole series.