Warren Page 2

I rather enjoyed this. I thought it got off to a slow start but definitely picked up as it went on. I will probably watch the remaining episodes. I must say though that I think Martin Clunes is a terrific actor and doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

Very weak effort. Laughter track might have saved it.

Unpleasant character, pointless insults, descending to swearing to get laughs. Wife annoying. Stepsons might be more interesting if they were the focus. Left me cold, barely laughed.

Fair play to it, despite terrible critic and audience reception, this got 3.8 million viewers on the first episode

JSG it was a Monday night they had 28 golden minutes handed to them on a plate, what they served up was crisp butties and flat coke.

The Telegraph described it as "The final nail in the coffin of British sitcom".

I'm not having that, I'm afraid.

Episode one was far from perfect but there were enough good bits in it to make me think the series as a whole is going to be worth watching.

To my mind, the worst sin a writer can commit is to have his characters say things that nobody in the real world would ever say in a particular situation. To put it another way, in any given situation there are certain things that only a bad writer could ever imagine somebody saying.

The characters in "Warren" were sometimes guilty of saying things that only a sitcom character would ever say but there were several other moments where the comedy came from character, from recognition and from various other places that good sitcom should come from.

It's not a great sitcom and I can understand why some people might think it's not a good sitcom - but it's certainly not a bad sitcom.

I'm going to keep watching.

Rood I think Clunes is good and I could legs in this but as the first episode to go with such an exaggerated keeping up with the Jones and a cliche clairvoyant was a bad call. The two lads and Clunes could pull this out the fire I just hope so but the neighbours are border line surreal and mimic the couple from Two Doors Down way way too much.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 26th February 2019, 8:43 PM

JSG it was a Monday night they had 28 golden minutes handed to them on a plate, what they served up was crisp butties and flat coke.

Both this and This Time with Alan Partridge did better than average for their slots. I didn't say Warren was good, just that it had high viewing figures.

I didn't think you did I got onto your point and I agree with it , this was more me registering my dismay at yet another chance squandered .

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying

I wonder how many people think the series is co-written by Paul McKenna, the famous hypnotist?

It's an interesting thought and, if it were really that Paul McKenna, I think he should have sent every household in Britain a DVD entitled "I can make you laugh" before the series started.

However, for the avoidance of doubt, this is the Paul McKenna who co-writes "Warren".

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 26th February 2019, 9:17 PM

Rood I think Clunes is good and I could legs in this but as the first episode to go with such an exaggerated keeping up with the Jones and a cliche clairvoyant was a bad call. The two lads and Clunes could pull this out the fire I just hope so but the neighbours are border line surreal and mimic the couple from Two Doors Down way way too much.

Could you use some punctuation Teddy? Not just on this thread but another one you wrote I couldn't understand.

"I could legs in this?" No idea what you mean.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th February 2019, 11:05 PM

"I could legs in this?" No idea what you mean.

I have a very good idea that he means he could see legs in this.

Quote: jsg @ 26th February 2019, 9:25 PM

Both this and This Time with Alan Partridge did better than average for their slots. I didn't say Warren was good, just that it had high viewing figures.

They both have a pedigree so people would watch the first episodes out of curiosity.

Viewing figures in future weeks will tell what people really think about both shows.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 27th February 2019, 6:58 AM

Chappers I'm sorry about my punctuation it is awful when I write fast. I have to work at it over and over on my scripts as I never went to school and it shows.
With my comments I often come over to this site during my working hours to sneak a peak and bang a reply out so its even worse.. So I apologise as I know it irritating and I'll keep an eye on it .

Good God, don't apologise to him - he's enough of a pedant already. I've seen far, far worse grammar etc on this forum and it only takes a bit of thought to see what the person is getting at.

Spit Hair Chapman he was called at school.

Hi Chappers! :D Love you lots.

But before I get greyed out - watched this on catch up tonight and thought it was quite good- certainly as many laughs as AP that followed it I thought.