Derry Girls - Series 1 Page 2

Absolutely loving this! Fantastic characters! :)

OMFG! What an amazing show! The cast are absolutely amazing! It is a bit like the new in-betweeners, but I mean that as a complement! Talk about instant classic! One episode and I'm hooked! This is comedy for people who love comedy. How did they find these actresses, they are all fantastic. WOW!

Finally caught up with Episode 2, it's so rare to have characters this well established by Episode 2, they're a joy to watch (extra points for casting Kevin McAleer, two minutes onscreen and he steals the episode!)

Quote: beaky @ 12th January 2018, 12:32 AM

Loved it, although the accent's a bit hard to understand at times.

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it, although I would have been almost completely lost without subtitles. I've never had any trouble understanding my Irish friends, so I guess it must be a regional accent that I'm unfamiliar with. It's funny how such drastic changes can be found in such a tiny geographic area.

Excellent episode last night - I think Clare is becoming my favourite character. :)

Yes, another great episode! Erin and Clare's twitches, Sister Michael's facial expressions, Michelle's ... Michelle. Hilarious.

Love this, a masterclass in comedy acting. A modern classic.

Ashamed to say it's taken me this long to catch up with the final episode. Can we all just take a moment to reflect on how bloody good Lisa McGee's writing is? In 24 minutes she has laughs, a coming out story and brings the Troubles back into the foreground (with that lovely touch of Joe gently gripping Gerry's shoulder in an act of solidarity after all the cutting remarks over the previous episodes).

Series 2 cannot come fast enough!

I can't wait for the DVD myself.

Also just caught up on the final episode. This is wonderful stuff. Silly and real. I had been chuckling throughout and then that final moment when Joe clasped Gerry's shoulder had me welling up.

With Series 2 on the horizon, is there any reason this isn't on DVD yet? Or is it a case of them wanting to capitalise with a Series 1 and 2 boxset? (Which I guess is now the precedent given that Catastrophe wasn't released until the end of the 4th series!)

That's probably it yeah, there's a lot of things that didn't do as well as this that got an individual series release, don't know why they do it though, maybe they figure for the better things they can get more people to buy the whole set?

Yeah, I'd have thought it'd be a great cash-in opportunity last year, but as you note, Catastrophe has only been released once it's come to a final conclusion. A range of other Channel 4 stuff hasn't been released either - I think perhaps they've found their shows work best as digital formats.

It's hilarious I love it! Why is there no DVD or Blu Ray release yet? Yes I'm old fashioned!!!!

I've read a lot how people are finding the accent hard to understand the subtitles are there if your having trouble understanding. It was hilarious how Lisa McGee joked that Irish people outside Derry do not understand their accents!

Finally caught an episode of this from S1 I believe. I'll have to wait for the repeats of S2 now I see I've just missed it. Read the reviews and posts and thought they must all be over doing it. But no, the quality was evident, the acting was stunning, the busy narrative also top notch. A talented lot the Norn Arrrsh. C4 do find some good stuff to put on don't they. What are they doing that the Beeb is struggling with? Actively searching for good scripts?