Warren

Just reading about this coming this year starring Martin Clunes.

I seem to remember reading the same thing last year. Why has it taken so long?

That is just how long TV seems to take to make these days.

It's out very soon, I'm surprised there hasn't been more promotion for it considering it's on BBC One.

Paul McKenna's previous sitcom "Brotherhood" was a decent enough effort, ruined only by the gales of laughter that followed almost every line of (often amusing but invariably several million miles from hilarious) dialogue.

If "Warren" has a laugh-track or is filmed before an audience of absolute effing idiots, I shan't be watching very much of it.

This is a bit ironic considering he was binned off by Churchill car insurance company for getting himself banned from driving some years ago.

Also - he looks a little thin in that photo.

Huh?

https://twitter.com/paulwhitelaw/status/1096172284543467522

If that's a critic's response, it's likely to be very funny.

I think even Martin Clunes's worst enemy might admit that he's not a bad actor, especially in a comedy situation.

Likewise, Paul McKenna's worst enemy would probably admit that he's not a bad sitcom writer.

If we add the above encouraging truths to the fact that the scope for comedy in the life of a driving instructor is almost limitless, I think we can look forward to "Warren" with something approaching optimism.

I, for one, won't be knocking it until I've tried it.

Well the advert made me chuckle, which is always a good sign. I automatically assumed this was another Simon Nye, but glad to see some newer writers getting a chance.

The trailer looked interesting, we'll have to see

Quote: Chappers @ 27th January 2019, 8:24 PM

Just reading about this coming this year starring Martin Clunes.

I seem to remember reading the same thing last year. Why has it taken so long?

Or perhaps it's that bad?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th February 2019, 5:10 PM

If "Warren" has a laugh-track or is filmed before an audience of absolute effing idiots, I shan't be watching very much of it.

I've just watched episode one and there's no laugh track - thank God!

I have to say it's actually a pretty decent sitcom.

Similar to Bad Move in some ways but very funny. Strange that it's taken so long though.

I thought the plot about the keeping up with Jones's was far too cliched and the clairvoyant scene was weak in its dialogue and concept.. Victoria Wood mastered that type of dialogue as did Last of the Summer Wine so the writer should have used those instead of using a diluted Peter Kay type.
I hate being negative abut new stuff and I'll watch the next one as there is promise in there I just hope they try less hard and act more natural and say more realistic stuff.

What is the incidental music though? It sounds annoyingly familiar but I can't put my finger on what it is.