Newsjack Series 20 - February 2019 Page 9

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 15th February 2019, 12:15 AM

Thanks Gjp. The German hangover sketch was great. Although the actor's German accent was, for want of a better word, sketchy.

Do you write for any other shows or things?

Hi Stobbart42
In the past I had credits on open door shows Tilt and Recorded for Training. Also, have had pieces on a couple of shows on Radio Scotland going back about 10 years, one of which has turned into a regular thing which I still contribute to and get something used most weeks. I've even had 5 or 6 tv credits on a BBC Scotland sketch show which airs every Hogmanay. There has also been about 2 million rejections but the tiny bits of success make it worthwhile.

Quote: B T F @ 15th February 2019, 7:58 AM

I really liked the Coro one and hangover one. The sketchy accent made it more hilarious for me.
Curious - how many words were in your original German sketch roughly? Am interested in lengths as they always sound quite long on the show. The doctor's one was shorter though.

Thanks BTF. My original sketch was pretty much exactly 2 pages long, including intro. The 1st page was almost word for word on show then the rest of sketch was almost completely rewritten. I'd say it was probably twice as long as my original. I liked what they did with it. It definitely built to a funnier sketch than my original.

Good show last night - the Doctors sketch was my fav I think.

Pleased they're opening up good news/bad news - I was hoping before this series started that they'd replace the 'pedias - having both is fine.

Nine oneliners per week!

Congratulations to Gjp69 on a sketch credit, those are like hen's teeth so doubly well done.

Congratulations too to Bonzo (and writing partner) for keeping your good run going!

And GoWithIt good to have you in the First Losers' lounge or as I like to call it, Second Winners' Lounge.

If anyone is interested here's what got cut of mine:

1. It's been a good week for London cyclists as a report revealed cycling is the quickest way to get somewhere. It's been a bad week for Boris Johnson as, despite years of cycling, still hasn't got to Number 10.

That's what you've got to do better than to get on!

Quote: StephenM @ 15th February 2019, 11:14 AM

Congratulations to Gjp69 on a sketch credit, those are like hen's teeth so doubly well done.

Congratulations too to Bonzo (and writing partner) for keeping your good run going!

And GoWithIt good to have you in the First Losers' lounge or as I like to call it, Second Winners' Lounge.

If anyone is interested here's what got cut of mine:

1. It's been a good week for London cyclists as a report revealed cycling is the quickest way to get somewhere. It's been a bad week for Boris Johnson as, despite years of cycling, still hasn't got to Number 10.

That's what you've got to do better than to get on!

Thanks for sharing that. StephenM in terms of the good week/bad week thing where was the info about this so people knew to send it in to the show just aired? Just curious as I did not have a clue.

Yeah, also interested to know where you heard about good week bad week. I thought that was internal for week one...it was the surprise I mentioned.

The doctors sketch was way longer at recording and included Russell Brand and a perfect James Acaster.

Enjoyed the GCSE and Police oneliners, and particularly liked the Cardi B and Royal Mail newsjackipedias

Now do we think that the good week / bad week has to be in that order? Or can the joke go bad week / good week?

J x

@GoWithIt - I've tweeted NJ asking that very question. No reply yet.

Although Stephen made the script with one that began with good week and the examples on their updated submission guidelines start with bad week. So I guess we can infer it's either...

Quote: Auditchris @ 15th February 2019, 2:14 PM

@GoWithIt - I've tweeted NJ asking that very question. No reply yet.

Although Stephen made the script with one that began with good week and the examples on their updated submission guidelines start with bad week. So I guess we can infer it's either...

Ooh good call! Although I bet they say it's either.

Thing is though it might ruin the flow when they're performing them if the good/bad rhythm is disturbed!

Would you mind letting us know what they say?

J x

Well they haven't replied but the wording of their guidance does suggest either:

"Who in the news has had a good or bad week? Who has benefitted or suffered as a result?"

I agree with you about flow if they mix it up though.

They e-mailed the Newsjack Unplugged e-mail list to say submit them as they wanted to introduce a new oneliner format but wanted an example in the episodes to show people first.

In Unplugged you can do it either way round and occasionally they done it's been a good week for / better week for or bad week for / worse week for but best to stick to good week / bad week or bad week / good week most of the time.

Of course now 600 people are going to submit GW/BW my chances are going to be considerably lower in future episodes!

Ours was the Patisserie Valerie good week bad week.

Quote: StephenM @ 15th February 2019, 4:08 PM

They e-mailed the Newsjack Unplugged e-mail list to say submit them as they wanted to introduce a new oneliner format but wanted an example in the episodes to show people first.

In Unplugged you can do it either way round and occasionally they done it's been a good week for / better week for or bad week for / worse week for but best to stick to good week / bad week or bad week / good week most of the time.

Of course now 600 people are going to submit GW/BW my chances are going to be considerably lower in future episodes!

Thanks for the info.

Quote: Bonzo @ 15th February 2019, 5:14 PM

Ours was the Patisserie Valerie good week bad week.

That was good.

They did a mixture at the recording (good / bad). Go with whichever leads to the punchline.

Exciting to have another format to play with.

Oh by the way, the cut Grammy sketch was an acceptance speech from a seagull. It was ridiculous.

Shame it didn't make it in as it was a lot of fun.