Newsjack Series 20 - February 2019 Page 8

Quote: StephenM @ 14th February 2019, 6:28 PM

Sorry to ruin everyone's hope but I just got the 'something in the script but not the show' e-mail.

So now that's all our evenings ruined. ;-)

Well done Stephen,
We got the "in" email,
Really, really pleased!
:)

Quote: GoWithIt @ 14th February 2019, 6:52 PM

I got the final cut email too!

So close!

On to episode 3!

J x

Well done GoWithIt!

Well done everyone who got the e-mails. Nothing for me.

On a late shift at work and uncharacteristically totally forgot about checking emails until 7pm - which is good cuz it saved a lot of tension before finding out I didn't get in!

Mega congrats to Bonzo, StephenM and GoWithIt!

Well done you clever emailees.

Nothing here - I will console myself with the thought that all my NJ credits have been in the back half of the series. Just need a few more people to get disillusioned and stop submitting!

Congrats to those who got in. I'm including those who got the nearly.

Look forward to hearing which was yours.

Well done all who got in!
Do you know what you got the nearly for?

Well done to everyone who got an email. Nothing for me, of course, assuming they've all been sent by now.

bravo, brava & congrats!!!

Back late from work and M25 delay, ( partly offset by listening to my Christmas present best of news quiz 2018 cd ) so belated congrats to all who got in tonights show
- and many thanks for Thosisd for really useful feedback from Wednesday evening - very helpful

Liked the show. Kiri is very slick. I think that good week/bad week thing is something that they tried on Unplugged. Liked the beer and wine one and Chris Grayling one and the doctor one was notable for the impression, I thought. Some funny moments in all the sketches. Good voices and accents.
I have been celebrating tonight as per photo so am very much the worse for wear, I'm not going to lie, so did I miss the amazing Grammys one?

Thought it quite good too. Some good one-liners. I liked the Cardi-B one best.

I feel a tad put out that one of the jokes was basically mine but without the Brexit angle.

My joke: Last year 1.8 million complaints were made about rubbish bins not being emptied. The government responded: 'Don't panic. Once Brexit kicks in and the shops run out of food, you'll be the envy of the neighborhood'

The joke they included: [EDIT: I've delete it for now because I realised some people might read this before listening, which isn't fair on the person who wrote the joke.]

It's shorter, true, but I prefer mine. Excuse me while I make a show of pretending to sulk while secretly actually sulking a little bit.

I think this is the 1st forum of any sort I've posted on so forgive me for waffling.

I've been submitting to Newsjack from series 1 and had a reasonable number of credits. Mostly the Miles Jupp and Justin Edwards eras when you could write intros to JackApps etc. and all my credits were one liners back then. Even got an invite to a writers meeting, but got nothing on that episode.

Had a few barren series (The Nish Kumar years) but persevered as there are so few open door opportunities.

Got another couple of one liners during Angela's reign, and even managed to get a sketch on. Coronation Street product placement. Was overjoyed.

Was really happy to get the good email for episode one this series for a Breaking News, and even more so for a sketch on episode 2. I see a lot of folk asking about editing etc. My one liner on episode one (fitbit steps) was pretty much word for word. My sketch tonight was German hangover experiments. Started off as mine for 1st few laughs then was totally re-written by the team. A few of the gags towards the end were based on my original script but worded totally different (funnier). Although it was probably only about 30% my stuff it still felt like my sketch and was great to see what could make it better and hopefully give me ideas to make my next submissions funnier.

Hopefully this is useful info for everyone and good luck for episode 3

Thanks Gjp. The German hangover sketch was great. Although the actor's German accent was, for want of a better word, sketchy.

Do you write for any other shows or things?

Quote: Gjp69 @ 14th February 2019, 11:39 PM

I think this is the 1st forum of any sort I've posted on so forgive me for waffling.

I've been submitting to Newsjack from series 1 and had a reasonable number of credits. Mostly the Miles Jupp and Justin Edwards eras when you could write intros to JackApps etc. and all my credits were one liners back then. Even got an invite to a writers meeting, but got nothing on that episode.

Had a few barren series (The Nish Kumar years) but persevered as there are so few open door opportunities.

Got another couple of one liners during Angela's reign, and even managed to get a sketch on. Coronation Street product placement. Was overjoyed.

Was really happy to get the good email for episode one this series for a Breaking News, and even more so for a sketch on episode 2. I see a lot of folk asking about editing etc. My one liner on episode one (fitbit steps) was pretty much word for word. My sketch tonight was German hangover experiments. Started off as mine for 1st few laughs then was totally re-written by the team. A few of the gags towards the end were based on my original script but worded totally different (funnier). Although it was probably only about 30% my stuff it still felt like my sketch and was great to see what could make it better and hopefully give me ideas to make my next submissions funnier.

Hopefully this is useful info for everyone and good luck for episode 3

I really liked the Coro one and hangover one. The sketchy accent made it more hilarious for me.
Curious - how many words were in your original German sketch roughly? Am interested in lengths as they always sound quite long on the show. The doctor's one was shorter though.