Newsjack Series 20 - February 2019 Page 7

Thanks for the perspective Thosisd, pretty much confirms that we're all bat shit crazy for trying LOLs

It does Danno. They also must get lots of good jokes. I can see from the rejects that many people who post rejects are often doing at least one joke that I think could be good enough for the show - in my opinion anyway but what do I know as I have been sending something most weeks since Angela started and got nowhere yet.
I find sketches a challenge which is why I like to try them.

I think another point to keep in mind is that the script editors play a big part.

I've had sketches performed but cut. When I request the script it's near enough a complete rewrite.

If you have a solid idea, that's unique and fun to perform - they will work with it. Your job is to prove the concept is funny and to reduce the amount of work required from the in-house team by packing as many gags as possible.

Also, endings are important. Massively important. Kiri does an over-the-top hand gesture to signal the end of the sketches as sometimes the closing line isn't apparent. She forgot to do this once or twice and people were a bit slow on the uptake that the sketch was finished. This results in a delayed applause that although I'm sure can be fixed in the edit, may leave the sketch feeling a bit underwhelming.

Oh and on the note of 'fun to perform'.

This is a big one.

Give the cast something to play with. Accents, crazy personalities, strong lines to get an applause. They interact with the audience through banter and give a bit of a commentary - "this is my favourite", "watch out for this accent" etc.

It has a comedy club vibe. So think of something with energy that feeds the audience and makes the performer look good by demonstrating their range.

This is very useful information, Thosisd. You should write a blog.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 14th February 2019, 11:19 AM

This is very useful information, Thosisd. You should write a blog.

Funny you should say that...I've been thinking the same.

I've got a few things to share, including my promised original draft and process for Victorians in workplace from ep1.

I'll let you know when I've got something. Really pleased it's useful. I think I've read everything there is online about NJ (sometimes 2-3 times). There's a load of useful stuff out there but often it's from the experts. I'm definitely not an expert and only have two credits but I think that can offer a more realistic insight.

Quote: Thosisd @ 14th February 2019, 12:25 PM

Funny you should say that...I've been thinking the same.

I've got a few things to share, including my promised original draft and process for Victorians in workplace from ep1.

I'll let you know when I've got something. Really pleased it's useful. I think I've read everything there is online about NJ (sometimes 2-3 times). There's a load of useful stuff out there but often it's from the experts. I'm definitely not an expert and only have two credits but I think that can offer a more realistic insight.

Definitely.

Thanks Thosisd, that's really helpful stuff. It's all too easy to forget that NJ is its own thing and not just an outlet for new writers. What might work for John Finnemore or Mitchell and Webb might not be suitable for the high energy world of NJ. Despite some very modest success I don't think I've quite cracked the show's tone. Sounds like attending a recording might be a requirement rather than a nice to have.

And even if you're not an expert if you've had a few sketches in the script you're definitely doing something right!

Really interesting and helpful, Thosisd. Thanks.

And so I keep refreshing the page to see if any of you have got it this time on the oneliners!

Very excited! An email! Oh not from Newsjack. From the Big Questions. Thank you for being on the show bla bla data bla.:(

Hold on. You were on The Big Questions? I love The Big Questions.

Anyone yet?

Nothing yet - but also no 'we've let everyone know' tweet from Newsjack so there's still hope for a few more minutes.

Sorry to ruin everyone's hope but I just got the 'something in the script but not the show' e-mail.

So now that's all our evenings ruined. ;-)

I got the final cut email too!
Into the script but not the show!
So close!

On to episode 3!

J x