Newsjack Series 20 - February 2019 Page 6

Well done on all that got on/nearly got on last week! Episode 1 is a massive achievement!

Good luck all for this week!

J x

Just submitted for this week - but struggled for inspiration / ideas this time round
Good luck all

Struggled for time. Good luck

Just submitted my one-liners. Reasonably happy with them, which usually means they're doomed.

Oneliners Sent! Good luck everyone!

J x

Know what you mean Sillysausage!

Had some to cull this time, though I'm less confident with the Newsjackpedia ones.

On the plus side, the husband liked the slightly rude ending of the only sketch I sent yesterday.

Good Luck everyone!

i tend to brainstorm the bejesus out of a oneliner to the point where only i can understand the punchline...and then, from nowhere, a headline drops into your lap and you rustle up a gag in 10 seconds flat and are left thinking 'that can't be funny because it was way too easy.'

'tis a lonely old trade this oneliner malarkey! good luck y'all

As long as I can get across on time, I'll be attending the recording tonight. It's my first time so not sure what to expect but I have a pad and I'll do my best up report back!

Looking forward to seeing how this all works. Anybody else attending?

Great experience going to the recording tonight (...even if I didn't hear any of my submissions). I suggest you all try and go if it's possible. Interesting to see the range of people in the audience and hear what they get behind.

I'm left feeling inspired and also struck with how ridiculously high the standard is. It makes me wonder how I slipped through last week! It feels almost impossible - I need to raise my game.

The edit must be a massive task as you can't pick any obvious cuts when you're there. If you get the maybe email...take that as a BIG win.

Sketches were:

Chris Grayling Valentines plans
Corbyn in court
Boris in hell
Chope in a bar
Theresa won't leave
Relevant school lessons
Yellow vest confusion
Top Shop's new range
Ikea obliterates New Zealand
Facebook car
Comedian doctors (amazing performances)
German drink experiments
And a wild Grammy sketch which I won't spoil...but if it's yours I bet your chips you know what I'm taking about and it was amazing.

They said there had been 400 people submitting sketches and 600 with one liners.

There was also a surprise but I won't steal NJ's thunder...

The best thing about going and not hearing any of my stuff is I get a Newsjack Thursday off!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Thosisd.

Out of interest, how many one-liners do they include at the recording? Is it a lot more than the final edit, or about the same?

It's good to know the numbers. Just think how all that needs sorting through to get a viable show. Even if you are only realistically going to be competing against a third of that in terms of acceptable pieces, that's quite some feat to get on!

So, I know my sketch didn't make it, because it was about Chope, but a hypnosis CD.

Well done people who got through!

Thanks for reporting back. Will have to get down there myself one day.

No sketch for me then but that's not exactly a major spoiler!

It's interesting that I recognise a lot of those stories but when I read them I didn't think for a minute 'there's a sketch in that.' Need to free my imagination and work harder on my angles...

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 13th February 2019, 11:36 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience, Thosisd.

Out of interest, how many one-liners do they include at the recording? Is it a lot more than the final edit, or about the same?

That's a tricky one. I want to say that each segment had eight, with all performers taking two each. They work along the line then repeat. I could be wrong though...they may do theee rounds. I'll try and workout how many I notice our missing when I hear the episode.

I'd say it's not THAT many more than makes the recording. Like with the sketches, it's hard to know which will go as the quality is consistent.

A 'nearly' email shows your submission was definitely good enough for broadcast but for whatever reason didn't quite justify its place. So this could be due to length of show in edit, the audience on the night not going for it (it's a VERY diverse crowd) and also if the subject has been covered in a sketch (although you do sometimes get stories repeating in the show).

Quote: Thosisd @ 13th February 2019, 10:10 PM

Great experience going to the recording tonight (...even if I didn't hear any of my submissions). I suggest you all try and go if it's possible. Interesting to see the range of people in the audience and hear what they get behind.

I'm left feeling inspired and also struck with how ridiculously high the standard is. It makes me wonder how I slipped through last week! It feels almost impossible - I need to raise my game.

The edit must be a massive task as you can't pick any obvious cuts when you're there. If you get the maybe email...take that as a BIG win.

Sketches were:

Chris Grayling Valentines plans
Corbyn in court
Boris in hell
Chope in a bar
Theresa won't leave
Relevant school lessons
Yellow vest confusion
Top Shop's new range
Ikea obliterates New Zealand
Facebook car
Comedian doctors (amazing performances)
German drink experiments
And a wild Grammy sketch which I won't spoil...but if it's yours I bet your chips you know what I'm taking about and it was amazing.

They said there had been 400 people submitting sketches and 600 with one liners.

There was also a surprise but I won't steal NJ's thunder...

I guess of those 400 many will submit 2. So probably there are 600 or 700 ish sketches of which they only put on 4 to 5 of the non com on the show. I bet most of the 600 submit close to the full quota of 6 on average of one liners. Bet they get over 2500 one liners. How many one liners go in the show? Maybe 25 or 30? Not sure. There is a lot of luck in it. So good luck!