Catastrophe - Series 4 Page 2

My current highlight of the week.

Well, there's only a few episodes left so if Rob is sick, there's not long to flesh it out. But it looks like it's just diarrhoea ;)

To start on the minor things, a few lovely references - dark web being one. They never seem too much, they always work and seem appropriate. The thing on Bake-off was delightfully brief.

As in the whole series I think them talking behind people's backs in the bedroom really works, and I also like how the scenes usually end on a lighter note to contrast with the rest of the episode. The lighter moments run parallel to the topics in each episode.

The near empty party, the 'miserable' text, the mid life crisis, all on the morbid side and pointing to larger themes (aging, loneliness, family arguments) brought together with carefully written dialogue. It can be a lot to take in, and if you look at it written down, it's hard to see how it works so seamlessly on screen.

Catastrophe presents a caustic outlook but it's the juxtaposition with moments of relief that make it what it is. With excellent characterisation to boot. But it's done well enough that it isn't off putting, quite the opposite in fact. It's a great programme and a shame it's ending so soon.

Quote: jsg @ 29th January 2019, 11:08 PM

Catastrophe presents a caustic outlook but it's the juxtaposition with moments of relief that make it what it is. With excellent characterisation to boot. But it's done well enough that it isn't off putting, quite the opposite in fact. It's a great programme and a shame it's ending so soon.

My thoughts exactly. I'm most amazed by the fact that Rob and Sharon as characters are quite awful people, the oxymoron being that they are nevertheless likeable, and as you say those lovely carefree moments of them making each other laugh is lovely and a relief from whatever else happened in the episode!

I haven't watched any of this and maybe I'm missing something but it looks to me like yet another example proving (most) Female writers of shows these days are incapable of writing anything that isn't about relationships, romance or sex. I find them a bit narrow focused, those I've seen eps of.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 31st January 2019, 5:18 AM

I haven't watched any of this and maybe I'm missing something but it looks to me like yet another example proving (most) Female writers of shows these days are incapable of writing anything that isn't about relationships, romance or sex. I find them a bit narrow focused, those I've seen eps of.

I would probably try watching some of it before coming to that particular conclusion.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 30th January 2019, 8:31 AM

My thoughts exactly. I'm most amazed by the fact that Rob and Sharon as characters are quite awful people, the oxymoron being that they are nevertheless likeable, and as you say those lovely carefree moments of them making each other laugh is lovely and a relief from whatever else happened in the episode!

Exactly. Sharon always comes across as one of those women who's amusing to be with, but you'd wonder what she was saying about you behind your back, but you cannot take away her comedy credentials.

I wish that they'd stop showing Rob with his top off - he looks like a guy who's covered himself in Pritt Stick and rolled around the floor of a barbers.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 31st January 2019, 4:16 PM

I would probably try watching some of it before coming to that particular conclusion.

And checking the writing credits.

Speaking of Sharon Horgan's writing I've just been watching some Dead Boss for the first time and really been enjoying it, and it isn't particularly heavy on sex or relationships. But back to Catastrophe.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, it really is brilliant, I can't recommend enough. Worth watching for yourself rather than making a sexist assumption because one of the writers is a woman.

Still great, I really enjoyed that joke near the beginning about there being burglars that got no reaction. I also quite liked that brief but in the assembly.

I feel like we got a bit of closure with Fran's family. As for Sharon and Rob though, I'm not sure if I'm expecting much of a satisfying end in the finale, but I'm sure it will be brilliant all the same, good to see the standard kept up :)

I was so worried going into the finale that they still had so much to cover/set up for it to be a worthwhile ending. Of course I needn't have worried, it's Horgan and Delaney. I cannot think of a better way to have ended the series, and it's a beautiful test for whether as a viewer you're an optimist or a pessimist.

Incidentally the whole series has now finally come out on DVD so I'll be picking that up soon for a rewatch from Series 1.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 13th February 2019, 9:00 AM

it's a beautiful test for whether as a viewer you're an optimist or a pessimist.

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point! I'm an optimist with a slight tinge of caution...

Beautiful ending, and I thought the episode had great pacing. In a worse script I could easily imagine that situation with Rob being angry at Sharon being drawn out a lot more, but instead they resolved it quickly and naturally, and went with an open-ended finale

Sharon and Rob (as writers) certainly did a fine job of messing with our heads at the end of the finale episode.

They've also done a fine job (as both writers and actors) of entertaining us throughout the four series of "Catastrophe".

Great stuff!

Tell me ... Are you the one who was slagging off Emily Atack on another thread? You sound great btw.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th February 2019, 3:48 PM

Sharon and Rob (as writers) certainly did a fine job of messing with our heads at the end of the finale episode.

They've also done a fine job (as both writers and actors) of entertaining us throughout the four series of "Catastrophe".

Great stuff!

Horrible laugh free ending. I hope the kids are OK left in the car. Plus it was filmed in fecking Whitstable, not Boston.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 13th February 2019, 8:18 PM

Tell me ... Are you the one who was slagging off Emily Atack on another thread? .

I don't think anybody was slagging her off. I merely suggested that her professional comedy credentials seemed a little on the skimpy side for somebody about to embark on a one-woman stand-up comedy tour.

The tour starts on April 1st and all I can say is that, in years to come, whenever a woman is walking along a street in Britain and strangers stop her and ask "Aren't you the one who was in that feckin' Catastrophe?" I sincerely hope they're talking to Sharon Horgan.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 13th February 2019, 8:18 PM

You sound great btw

Thank you. I do my best. Cool

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 31st January 2019, 4:16 PM

Surely I'd come to the same conclusion anyway, or is Catastrophe nothing to do with relationships and sex, and all the photo shoots, trailers and reviews which I have seen somehow a conspiracy to mislead?

Quote: zooo @ 31st January 2019, 4:57 PM

And checking the writing credits.

I did and have done so again. Sharon Horgan and...

I have to conclude that as the established star on British TV I'd assume confidently that it's her project, her idea whoever she partnered with to script it.

Quote: jsg @ 31st January 2019, 11:42 PM

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, it really is brilliant, I can't recommend enough. Worth watching for yourself rather than making a sexist assumption because one of the writers is a woman.

I'm sure it is brilliant and made no comment to suggest it wouldn't be. I did not make a sexist assumption because one of the writers is a woman, I made a sexist assumption based on Pulling; on Julia Davies' Nighty Night, Camping and Sarah &... the one off Thelma & Loiuse inspired dark comedy; and Drifters, all of which I watched.

Am I being sexist? Or are they? I'm not the one writing mainstream TV shows showing women to be preoccupied with relationships and sex above all else.