The Young Ones Page 10

Quote: teenage comedy freak @ 8th July 2014, 3:01 PM BST

I think it's a show that grows on you and you notice something new each time you see it

I would completely agree with you about this. I have watched the show countless time and was always finding something new or different to laugh about that I had never noticed before.

Watched 'Time' yesterday, daughter was in hysterics about the light bulb walking out the door with its suitcase!
Then there are those really quick clips, that you can only fully see if you pause the frame. A potter's wheel and a bird flying spring to mind.
Now there's a challenge, can anyone name all of them?

Hi all.

I'm new here, thought I'd join to share a video I've just uploaded. Its the raw, unedited dailies from The Young Ones, the VHS tape that has done the rounds with collectors through the years. There are snippets on YouTube, but this is the full thing, if any of you are interested. It's two hours long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WGpJlOUnF0

I hope you all enjoy :)

Quote: harrycarrie @ 18th July 2014, 10:28 PM BST

Hi all.

I'm new here, thought I'd join to share a video I've just uploaded. Its the raw, unedited dailies from The Young Ones, the VHS tape that has done the rounds with collectors through the years. There are snippets on YouTube, but this is the full thing, if any of you are interested. It's two hours long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WGpJlOUnF0

I hope you all enjoy :)

I got a copy of it years ago and it bored me to tears.

Fair enough! I know it's done the rounds, just hadn't seen it fully online.

I'd not come across this!
One for the real die hard fans maybe. Thanks for the link, I will check it out when I have 2 hours spare.

Just finished watching the series (2 discs) and still most enjoyable, although I still shudder at some of the violence, especially for example when Vyvyan uses a hammer to beat Rik's head in. Errr

The only violence I disliked was the Hell scene (Boring) and when Lex breaks the guy's arm (Time) - too realistic. The rest is hilarious.

So Neil having 6 inch rusty nails hammered into his skull was fine?!

I love slapstick violence àla Tom and Jerry, but that Hell bit where they break his nose is horrible and I still can't watch it - and I'm amazed no one else has ever criticised it! Thanks for ruining an otherwise perfect series...

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th February 2019, 1:44 PM

So Neil having 6 inch rusty nails hammered into his skull was fine?!

Yeah cos it's beyond realism, hence amusing. Seeing blood squirt out of a nose or hearing an armbone cruch is too credible.

The arm break didn't bother me but I really didn't like that scene where he gets smacked in the face. I was only 7 or 8 and that scene was too torturesque to be slapstick funny.

What offended me more in that episode was the racist policeman throwing the 'N' word around

Quote: lofthouse @ 11th February 2019, 10:14 PM

What offended me more in that episode was the racist policeman throwing the 'N' word around

I was thinking of that scene when I was typing out my last post. Really don't know why it had to be included. I can't see Rik or Lise thinking of it so it must have been Ben.

Said scene was cut from some repeats and I couldn't agree less. It's very potent satire, especially for the time. The n-word is offensive in isolation, but in the scene it's the perfect term for the asshole to use. 'Sorry, I thought you were foreign / black / not English' - what a limp punchline that would've been. It's all about context / character. 'Bloody Hell', on the other hand, IS gross.