Which comedy stars have you met? Page 14

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 18th December 2018, 6:18 PM

Stewart Lee, despite being seemingly shy, had a good chat about comedy.

I bumped into him in a supermarket but as I'm not a fan I thought it would be pathetic and hypocritical to engage him in conversation.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 18th December 2018, 6:18 PM

Stewart Lee

I've never met him but, for me, he's one of the most entertaining stand-up comedians the world has ever seen.

If I'm not allowed to speak for the world, I'll modify the above comment to "He's one of the most entertaining stand-up comedians I've ever seen."

I admire Stewart Lee for speaking up for jungle canyon rope bridges.

Well you wouldn't want anyone to talk them down. Leave them where they are.

Ted Robbins last night (Kate Robbins brother)

In a carpark in Bradford center. He was asking someone for change for the meter.
I gave him the 'ey up Ted' and he smiled and waved.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th February 2019, 10:05 AM

(Kate Robbins brother)

Never have three words in brackets said so much. Laughing out loud

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th February 2019, 10:05 AM

In a car park in Bradford center.

In America was it? :D

That would be Bradford PA

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th February 2019, 12:46 PM

That would be Bradford PA

Eee lad, now drop t'Mauser and coom quiet like or thee will't git reet thumpin' wit t'black puddin'.

Am waiting till't musket wounds stop festerin

Melvyn Hayes in a Tesco till queue many years ago, when he used to run a pub on the Suffolk/Essex border.

Quote: Chappers @ 18th December 2018, 11:11 PM

I bumped into him in a supermarket but as I'm not a fan I thought it would be pathetic and hypocritical to engage him in conversation.

But you love crawling up someone's arse Chappers! :P

As a very young man, I met Charles Hawtrey at a cinema in Manchester (he had dropped in to have a word with the manager and I just happened to be in the office at the same time).

We chatted about various comedy-related matters, especially "Carry On" films, and he remarked that Frankie Howard's work had improved considerably in recent years.

Had he invited me back to his hotel room for a drink and further theatrical discussions, I would have accepted immediately and felt quite flattered. It would not have occurred to me for a single solitary moment that he might have been expecting more than conversation.

At that time, I had never (knowingly) met a gay man nor had I ever (knowingly) seen one on television. I knew that gay men existed but I had no idea where they were.

Innocent times indeed.

Michael Barrymore when I was a wee nipper. My Nan (God rest her soul) volunteered me to go up on stage when he was doing panto. I can't remember what the panto was, but I know I cried..

I've met some of the cast of Only Fools thanks to the annual conventions.

Many years ago, I drove round to visit a couple I knew at the flats where they lived.

Unfortunately, there was no reply when I rang the bell and so I decided to stand outside for a while on the off chance they'd return in the relatively near future.

After about ten minutes, the door opened and out stepped a little dog followed by one of the best-known faces on British television. I'm not going to name her on this site but, apart from her TV work, I do know she played a role in a film alongside one of Britain's most successful TV comedians.

I explained what I was doing and who I was waiting for and it turned out that she lived in the flat directly above my friends and was on nodding terms with them.

She wandered off with her dog and, upon returning some minutes later, asked me if I'd like to come up to her flat to wait for my friends rather than stand outside in the cold.

Being a sociable sort of person, I accepted her offer.

I'm writing this before the watershed and so I can say only that I didn't see my friends that day, or even that night.

Happy days!

Bella Emburg?