Newsjack Series 20 - February 2019 Page 5

Well done Thosisd, CC and Sillysausage and nearly well done to Danno.

Tosisd - episode 1 sketch is a proper win, that's full NJ achievement unlocked that is! Congratulations!

Good aftercare from auntie Gwyn.

It was my newsjackpedia gag that didn't make the cut..

'Divorce Bill': What Hilary Clinton's friends were all saying during the 90s

Quote: Danno @ 8th February 2019, 12:03 PM

Good aftercare from auntie Gwyn.

It was my newsjackpedia gag that didn't make the cut..

'Divorce Bill': What Hilary Clinton's friends were all saying during the 90s

I really like this.

Kind of embarrassed but my NJpedia was

Blair Kinghorn:
Cherie Blair's pet name for Tony in the bedroom.

Hate to be nostalgic but Angela Barnes is a tough act to follow, but have to give Kiri a chance. My fav sketch was the Victorian disease one this week. I tried one linking the late Jeremy Hardy and Jeremy Corbyn but there may have been a question of good/bad taste. Best of luck to everyone for next week!

I've requested a copy of the final script of the Victorian sketch. Will post in a new thread showing my draft vs broadcast. Although I'm now a bit embarrassed about my draft!

Excellent work, Thosisd
and thanks for future posting of the sketch - always helpful to see what stays in and what gets changed

One of my Newsjackipedias was Super Bowl: What millions of people saw Sunday evening on the Antiques Roadshow.

Close but no cigar!

Quote: Auditchris @ 8th February 2019, 2:06 PM

One of my Newsjackipedias was Super Bowl: What millions of people saw Sunday evening on the Antiques Roadshow.

Close but no cigar!

I went with:

Super Bowl - Fans left confused and underwhelmed by latest movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The one that got through did make me smile though.

Quote: StephenM @ 8th February 2019, 11:07 AM

Well done Thosisd, CC and Sillysausage and nearly well done to Danno.

Tosisd - episode 1 sketch is a proper win, that's full NJ achievement unlocked that is! Congratulations!

Thanks, I was pleased with it. Had two sketches cut before but this was my first one on. As the episode reached the end I assumed I must have snuck a Newsjakpedia in. Couldn't believe it when the intro started.

@Thosisd...just had a listen, well done, it was a snorter. I also really liked the Billy Elliot themed Nissan sketch. Some good voice work, NJ do well to land Luke Kempner on the regular, plus a very on point Theresa May. Did I miss something or was there only a couple of short rounds of breaking news? Again, shame they can't do an extended version or spin-off but I guess that's one for the unicorns to chase around. Congrats again to everyone who aired.

Quote: Danno @ 8th February 2019, 5:50 PM

@Thosisd...just had a listen, well done, it was a snorter. I also really liked the Billy Elliot themed Nissan sketch. Some good voice work, NJ do well to land Luke Kempner on the regular, plus a very on point Theresa May. Did I miss something or was there only a couple of short rounds of breaking news? Again, shame they can't do an extended version or spin-off but I guess that's one for the unicorns to chase around. Congrats again to everyone who aired.

There were three rounds, last one was quite short. Probably an unpopular opinion in these here parts but I do think shows like this and Mash Report should do less breaking news and more long form skits/ sketches; as a viewer/ listener it's a slightly jarring thing to KEEP going back to. (And I say that as someone who finds writing the one liners way easier than the sketches!)

Ah, I must have temporarily zoned out. The oneliners seem like the best way of keeping the show grounded and in touch with Joe/Jane public, I think if it dropped them or skimped down, it would be in danger of becoming a bit too exclusive and erode that 'anyone can write for newsjack' quintessence?

Only had time to finish one sketch this week, after penning notes for a few stories. Now fretting about whether the end line was too rude/could have been ruder to make more sense.

I sent off my pair of very hopefuls. Bit miffed I couldn't come up with more zany settings, was very much focussed on the tennis of dialogue. Trying hard to resist the equine flu jokes. Thought I had a really funny oneliner until i read it back and started heckling myself. Week two and I'm already miserable as an odd sock in a washing machine.

Did one last night and one quickly before work this morning.
One before work - rushed.
Very little hope but fun to do.
One was on Macron. Do not know why - just had a silly idea. The other was on baby banks - the more rushed one.
Good luck.