Dad's Army - The Lost Episodes Page 3

I don't know if it was on here or elsewhere, probably here that I saw a still of a cartoon version of these three destroyed episodes. The characters looked just like the real ones and I believe I read that they were voiced by the original actors. I'd much prefer to watch these than another remake with dubious cast choices (Nighy as Wilson made me cringe) although I'd like to see both.

I've YouTubed them with no success does anyone know if these animated versions are available to view or buy anywhere? AFAIK they've never popped up on DA boxsets even as extras although surely they should have to properly complete the set, or have they been wiped too? Angry

So many of these older comedies were part of my childhood and bring fond memories of watching with my parents and enjoying their laughter. I've actually realized I don't tend to rewatch any comedies of that era...and I think it's because, deep down, I don't want to watch with fresh, grown-up eyes that might ruin those memories.

I have, however, been rewatching Man About the House and George and Mildred, including episodes I hadn't seen as a child. I caught a couple on an ITV channel and one of my daughters happened to be watching. She's late teens and absolutely loved it, so we bought the DVDs.

I also caught a couple of Dad's Army, but, without my dad's constant references to his own amusing experiences of the war and the odd references he'd make about his own father's part in it, I lacked that feeling of togetherness and it just didn't feel right. I felt awkwardly distant from the whole situation. That's a very personal reason for not rewatching and doesn't, in any way, reflect my views on the quality of the comedy.

I'm not a big fan of remakes anyway. However, I love Bernard Cribbins, so I might give this a go.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th February 2019, 9:06 AM

I don't know if it was on here or elsewhere, probably here that I saw a still of a cartoon version of these three destroyed episodes. The characters looked just like the real ones and I believe I read that they were voiced by the original actors. I'd much prefer to watch these than another remake with dubious cast choices (Nighy as Wilson made me cringe) although I'd like to see both.

I've Youtubed them with no success does anyone know if these animated versions are available to view or buy anywhere? AFAIK they've never popped up on DA boxsets even as extras although surely they should have to properly complete the set, or have they been wiped too? Angry

All 3 episodes in question were recorded for radio (with Graham Stark playing Walker in "The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Walker") so it could be done, using the radio soundtrack with an animated film.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th February 2019, 9:06 AM

I've Youtubed them with no success does anyone know if these animated versions are available to view or buy anywhere? AFAIK they've never popped up on DA boxsets even as extras although surely they should have to properly complete the set, or have they been wiped too? Angry

You're thinking of Dad's Army: A Stripe For Frazer. Sadly only that one episode was produced. (With audio from the TV original, not a radio adaptation.)

It was broadcast last year, I think, but was created and available through the short-lived BBC Store originally. I believe it will be included on the DVD release of the new filmed versions.

Alternatively, it can be bought individually, or as part of Series 2 as a whole, from Amazon.

It's bloody good, BTW.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 7th February 2019, 11:16 AM

I have, however, been rewatching Man About the House and George and Mildred, including episodes I hadn't seen as a child. I caught a couple on an ITV channel and one of my daughters happened to be watching. She's late teens and absolutely loved it, so we bought the DVDs.

That is wonderful to hear. Get her to sign up! :)

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th February 2019, 11:53 AM

All 3 episodes in question were recorded for radio (with Graham Stark playing Walker in "The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Walker") so it could be done, using the radio soundtrack with an animated film.

That's reminded me to get hold of some DA audio eps to listen to at bedtime, it's always intrigued me how they'd differ to their sitcom performances. I'm guessing they're a bit more casual but I'll get round to finding out one day. And surely DA must be the last sitcom to have recorded radio versions as well?

I think One Foot In The Grave had a radio version. To The Manor Born started as a radio series. There are probably many more.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th February 2019, 12:30 PM

You're thinking of Dad's Army: A Stripe For Frazer. Sadly only that one episode was produced. (With audio from the TV original, not a radio adaptation.)

It was broadcast last year, I think, but was created and available through the short-lived BBC Store originally. I believe it will be included on the DVD release of the new filmed versions.

Alternatively, it can be bought individually, or as part of Series 2 as a whole, from Amazon.

It's bloody good, BTW.

I'll check the prices for series two, it'll will encourage me to finish getting the complete set as I only have four series 3 - 6, the essential ones ie. the colour series with Walker in. I'm puzzled as to how the TV audio survived the wiping???

A Stripe For Frazer Radio version has always been prized by fans for being the last piece of work James Beck did so it is a big piece in the canon. That's in the canon/cannon in case you didn't notice. Oh ok.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th February 2019, 8:40 AM

I'm puzzled as to how the TV audio survived the wiping???

Cost. The difference in price between video and audio tapes. For example for the man in the street at that time it was ENORMOUS!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th February 2019, 8:40 AM

I'm puzzled as to how the TV audio survived the wiping???

Recorded at home by someone on a domestic reel-to-reel machine.

Every missing episode of Till Death Us Do Part also survives by this means, and many hundreds of other episodes too.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 20th February 2019, 8:23 AM

To The Manor Born started as a radio series.

It did not. It was developed for radio but only a pilot recorded and never broadcast.

10 episodes were later made and broadcast from 1997. 6 adaptations and 4 new, I believe.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 7th February 2019, 11:16 AM

I'm not a big fan of remakes anyway. However, I love Bernard Cribbins, so I might give this a go.

Timothy West to replace Bernard Cribbins? Well that's just brilliant. Just scrape the last bit of happiness from my life, why don't ya!

Just booked tickets to see this being recorded next month. By my reckoning the last time Croft and Perry scripts will be professionally recorded for television. So looking forward to seeing it!!

Just watched ten minutes of a fifty year old Dad's Army episode - I'd forgotten how crap they could be.

Quote: beaky @ 23rd February 2019, 9:17 PM

Just watched ten minutes of a fifty year old Dad's Army episode - I'd forgotten how crap they could be.

I would be amazed if any of the so-called comedy programmes produced in the last 5 years (whether made for terrestial tv or, for example, for Gold) are still being watched in 50 years' time.