Newsjack Series 20 - February 2019 Page 2

Quote: AidanMcComedy @ 5th February 2019, 12:00 PM

Has anyone ever not submitted a joke because it's probably too obvious only to then see it appear in the episode from someone else's submission? Although I couldn't see the joke mentioned anywhere online, I dropped the below from my submissions today at the last minute.

"A Kansas man has been arrested for assault after a family game of Monopoly ended in a wild brawl. The police released the man without bail, as he was still holding a Get Out of Jail Free card when they picked him up."

If you replaced it with something else, fair enough. Otherwise I would've left it in

Yours from the water works, KB

Well this rolled around very quickly. Good luck everyone!

Quote: Kenny Bania @ 5th February 2019, 12:09 PM

If you replaced it with something else, fair enough. Otherwise I would've left it in

Yours from the water works, KB

Yeah I replaced it with another joke.

@Aiden it hasn't happened to me where I've written a joke and then scrapped it only for it to appear on the show.

But what has happened a few times is I've thought of a pun, realised it's way too hack and obvious to even bother trying to write a joke around, and then still seen it appear on the show.

Sometimes the obvious crap gets through.

Same here! This week, I've not submitted:

"I'm not racist - but all Liam Neeson films look the same to me!"

because it's too obvious.

I'll kick myself if someone else gets it accepted, though!

wonder which particular set of skills will be used to handle that particular twitter storm?

Quote: Steev @ 6th February 2019, 4:13 PM

"I'm not racist - but all Liam Neeson films look the same to me!"

Haha, I haven't heard that one yet. You should've gone for it! Might've been hard to put in the headline format though, I guess.

Hi All, here are the sketches I remember from last night's recording (*spoilers!*):

Thatcher statue defences
MPs stockpile groceries
Russel Brands hands-off parenting
Extreme decluttering
Merkel quits facebook
Jaws 5 trailer in chipshop
Gene screening couple
Corbyn Mattress ad
Mps debate phone ban
Geordie ambition
Queen's escape plan

It was a fun recording. Kiri got involved in most of the sketches more than some previous hosts. Some of the one-liners got really big laughs but I can't remember what they were.
One of the set-ups to the sketches was virtually the same as one I submitted, so for a second I thought I was going to hear my sketch performed and nudged my guest! But it was a completely different premise in the end.
If you ever get tickets, note the queue forms pretty early! that I joined the the queue at 5.45 for a 6.15 ticket check and a 7.45 entry to the radio theatre. I was 117inth to turn up (they give you numbered stickers) and the capacity is about 250?

Quote: nabbit @ 7th February 2019, 6:00 AM

Extreme decluttering

I wrote a sketch about Extreme decluttering. But it might not be mine. Do you recall what happened in it?

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 7th February 2019, 8:26 AM

I wrote a sketch about Extreme decluttering. But it might not be mine. Do you recall what happened in it?

Not a lot after Marie Kondo script-edited

Hi everyone. Finally got around to entering my login details and joining the discussion.

Looking forward to following the highs and crushing lows of another series with you.

My intention was to stick to one liners this year but the temptation was too strong and I went all in. I went with Victorian diseases in a modern workplace and Wetherspoons home delivery - so nothing even close on the recap list.

Good luck tonight everybody.

So it doesn't look like I've got a sketch on. I did one about the endangered sharks in restaurants but it looks like they've gone with a very different premise for that one.

And so much for my mockney Tories sketch.

It's week one though, so particularly difficult to get on.

Good luck for email o'clock!

Huh, I wrote a sketch based on the Queen's Escape Plans...so maybe I may have made the cut... (fingers crossed) Although I have a feeling that topic may have been quite popular.

Excellent. Sounds like some people on here may have got on. Fingers crossed and toes, etc...

I also did a sketch about the shark story, also a sketch on the Ralph Northam story. I focused on solid, funny sketches, with good intros and outro jokes and nice joke in the middle (all germane to the premise) and what's an interesting reminder about the Jaws 5 premise is that the sketch also has to be surprising. For me that's a useful lesson for next week's submissions.