Cold Feet Page 4

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 3rd February 2019, 3:18 PM

OFAH in its later years drifted towards comedy drama

"Only Fools" started as a sitcom and eventually drifted towards comedy-drama but unfortunately never quite made it, instead drifting right past and into melodrama.

"Cold Feet" started as comedy-drama and, mercifully, has retained that identity.

The running time doesn't mean a thing anymore, there've been plenty sub 30min comdrams and at least one post 30min sitcom OFAH. 90s OFAH was still sitcom although slower and less funny and brought down by Cassandra and Damien and staying at home too much. (Yes it did veer towards comdram in patches but with its same daft characters was clearly a sitcom). It's definitely harder to keep a sitcom funny and farcical for longer than 30mins and there are many unfunny sitcoms under 30mins.

I agree about OFAH but Fawlty Towers was NEVER more than 30 minutes.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd February 2019, 11:21 PM

Fawlty Towers was NEVER more than 30 minutes.

I believe "The Wedding Party" runs 33 minutes, "The Germans" runs 31 minutes, "Communication Problems" runs 31 minutes, "The Psychiatrist" runs 36 minutes, "Waldorf Salad" runs 32 minutes, "The Kipper and the Corpse" runs 31 minutes and "Basil the Rat" runs 34 minutes.

Having said that, "Cold Feet" runs for 45, 50 or sometimes 75 or 90 minutes and so may be considered a much better contender for the description of "comedy-drama".

Talking of running time, four 90-minute episodes were made and broadcast for the fifth series in 2003 but, for international distribution and the DVD release, they were edited into six episodes of various lengths, causing several plotlines to make no sense. Laughing out loud

Plus with OFAH I always felt that the extended ones were never as good. The plots lagged, and sitcom primarily works on the tightness the 30 minutes demands. Fawlty is a good example, twelve perfect farces that would have run out of steam had they been longer. Anyway yes, sorry to drag this discussion away from Cold Feet!

Latest episode was good, Paul Kaye is a nice addition and I like how they're dealing with David's homelessness

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 6th February 2019, 8:22 PM

Latest episode was good, Paul Kaye is a nice addition and I like how they're dealing with David's homelessness

And Jenny's breast cancer. My partner had the same operation - but I don't remember her bursting out laughing because of the effects of the anaesthetic.

Surprised to see Jacey Salles who played Ramona in Casualty this evening playing yet another woman with a strong foreign accent.

I'm surprised that foreign actresses are not up in arms complaining about the lack of acting work.

Probably Equity Union rules, if they haven't been overturned by the EU like many of our working rules - Prods have to give a preference to our own actors wherever possible. And doing foreign accents is part of actor's trade. So foreigners can f**k off, go and act in your own prods.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st September 2019, 10:08 PM

Probably Equity Union rules, if they haven't been overturned by the EU like many of our working rules - Prods have to give a preference to our own actors wherever possible. And doing foreign accents is part of actor's trade. So foreigners can f**k off, go and act in your own prods.

It doesn't worry me. It's just that she seems to have become typecast. I wonder what her normal accent is?

Quote: Chappers @ 1st September 2019, 10:32 PM

I wonder what her normal accent is?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1154451246998118400

Click the speaker icon (bottom right) to hear the sound.

With music from New Order's record breaking offshoot, The Other Two. Two albums in 30 years and they're both total and utter f**king shit, must be a record.

I was thinking about this today as I loved the show. I've got the boxed set of series 1-5 and then of course it was resurrected around 2016. I'm sure I've seen it all but I was surprised that there were another 4 series produced in the second run.