Monty Python's Flying Circus Page 6

Quote: Aaron @ 27th January 2019, 1:20 PM

Interesting array of explanations for this! The previous reasoning I'd heard was that he felt they were starting to repeat themselves and so didn't feel able or interested in participating.

Sat at his own table to avoid silly antics:

The BBC had offered us a fourth season, and John was definitely not keen on the idea. For him, the Canadian tour was the tipping point. He hated it. He took to dining alone at a table in the same restaurant as the rest of us, reading a book and pointedly ignoring us as we got rowdier and rowdier. He had some silly idea for a sitcom he wanted to do, about an angry hotelier, set in a British holiday hotel in Torquay...Well, good luck with that. He decided to turn down another Python series. Graham broke the news on the flight to our final gig in Vancouver. To those of us who were enjoying the newfound adulation, John's decision seemed crazy. To Graham, who needed the money, it was disastrous. He persuaded us to do a fourth season without John.

And as Carol Cleveland recalled the same episode:

Everyone started getting rather serious then and concerned, because everyone really wanted to continue with Python, and it was a period when John had decided that he really didn't want to go any further. The friction was noticeable and he was not an easy person to be with. The most difficult period I remember was when we were touring the stage show in Canada, and he was just so unfriendly to everyone. I hadn't realized quite what was going on with him until we got there and I was taking it personally at first--I thought, "Oh, no, he doesn't like me anymore, what have I done?" And they were, "No, Carol, he's going through one of his questioning periods in his life," like what's life all about, and of course he was going through his divorce with Connie.
I remember one evening he wouldn't socialize with any of us, we would all go and have a meal after the show and John didn't want to talk with anyone after the show--he just would go off and do his own thing. I can remember one evening when the rest of us all went off to a restaurant and at the end of the meal we were just getting ready to pay our bill when we noticed over in the corner there was John, he had been there all the time, and he was just getting up and leaving. So we quickly paid up our bill and went after him, about five or six of us. I remember going down this road, down a hill, and he's sort of striding along as he did and we were sort of tiptoeing, having had a few drinks we were all giggling: "Oh, let's all pounce on John!" We were tiptoeing up behind him and he'd suddenly hear something and he'd stop, and we'd all jump into a doorway and hide and then quickly tiptoe up behind him. He'd stop, we'd stop in another doorway. He was obviously aware by now that we were coming, and we got about four feet from him and he turned on us and pulled himself up to his greatest height and looked out and--I have never seen such an evil look! He just screamed and abused us and we're all shaking in pure terror, thinking, "We better not do that again!"

Quote: Kenneth @ 27th January 2019, 4:50 PM

Sat at his own table to avoid silly antics:

The BBC had offered us a fourth season, and John was definitely not keen on the idea. For him, the Canadian tour was the tipping point. He hated it. He took to dining alone at a table in the same restaurant as the rest of us, reading a book and pointedly ignoring us as we got rowdier and rowdier. He had some silly idea for a sitcom he wanted to do, about an angry hotelier, set in a British holiday hotel in Torquay...Well, good luck with that. He decided to turn down another Python series. Graham broke the news on the flight to our final gig in Vancouver. To those of us who were enjoying the newfound adulation, John's decision seemed crazy. To Graham, who needed the money, it was disastrous. He persuaded us to do a fourth season without John.

And as Carol Cleveland recalled the same episode:

Everyone started getting rather serious then and concerned, because everyone really wanted to continue with Python, and it was a period when John had decided that he really didn't want to go any further. The friction was noticeable and he was not an easy person to be with. The most difficult period I remember was when we were touring the stage show in Canada, and he was just so unfriendly to everyone. I hadn't realized quite what was going on with him until we got there and I was taking it personally at first--I thought, "Oh, no, he doesn't like me anymore, what have I done?" And they were, "No, Carol, he's going through one of his questioning periods in his life," like what's life all about, and of course he was going through his divorce with Connie.
I remember one evening he wouldn't socialize with any of us, we would all go and have a meal after the show and John didn't want to talk with anyone after the show--he just would go off and do his own thing. I can remember one evening when the rest of us all went off to a restaurant and at the end of the meal we were just getting ready to pay our bill when we noticed over in the corner there was John, he had been there all the time, and he was just getting up and leaving. So we quickly paid up our bill and went after him, about five or six of us. I remember going down this road, down a hill, and he's sort of striding along as he did and we were sort of tiptoeing, having had a few drinks we were all giggling: "Oh, let's all pounce on John!" We were tiptoeing up behind him and he'd suddenly hear something and he'd stop, and we'd all jump into a doorway and hide and then quickly tiptoe up behind him. He'd stop, we'd stop in another doorway. He was obviously aware by now that we were coming, and we got about four feet from him and he turned on us and pulled himself up to his greatest height and looked out and--I have never seen such an evil look! He just screamed and abused us and we're all shaking in pure terror, thinking, "We better not do that again!"

Thank you for quoting all of this - it's fascinating. Cleese seems a very odd man to work with, that's for sure.

Monty Python being repeated from the beginning starting 9pm tomrrow (Monday 14th) on That'sTV.

I'm trying to find the station. Apparently it's 91 or 264 on Freeview. I tried re-tuning my Freeview TV but neither station appeared. Freesat 178 and Sky 187.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th March 2022, 8:12 PM

I'm trying to find the station. Apparently it's 91 or 264 on Freeview. I tried re-tuning my Freeview TV but neither station appeared. Freesat 178 and Sky 187.

I believe it's 7 or 8 on Freeview depending on where you are. Certainly 187 on Sky.

Or do what I did many years ago, and bought all four series on DVD, cheap on eBay.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th March 2022, 11:32 PM

Or do what I did many years ago, and bought all four series on DVD, cheap on eBay.

Rather ratty quality though, and cut. Strongly recommend investing in Network's restoration if you enjoy the show.

Oh, can't say I noticed lack of quality or cuts - with a BBC DVD I would expect them to be complete. Do you know what was cut out?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th March 2022, 12:12 AM

Oh, can't say I noticed lack of quality or cuts - with a BBC DVD I would expect them to be complete. Do you know what was cut out?

It wasn't released by the BBC but by Sony.

Lots of little bits were removed over the years, starting from the very first run of repeats IIRC. So much so that no masters existed as originally broadcast. Some bits were trimmed and others removed entirely. Largely with the Pythons' say-so. Nothing was specifically cut for the DVD release as far as I know. Network's reconstruction used multiple sources - even some home video recordings - to piece (I think) every last sketch back in its rightful place and original length.

Quote: MrsLogicFromViz @ 28th January 2019, 3:14 PM

Cleese seems a very odd man to work with, that's for sure.

His personality type is very familiar to me. My brother hates people and was an extremely funny, intelligent frustrate dead pan man. Cleese was the kings of that style. Love them both.

I have the four series box set too. People remember the quality and forget how much total and utter shit there was in there.

What happened about the hotel idea? Any good?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 15th March 2022, 11:36 AM

People remember the quality and forget how much total and utter shit there was in there.

Agreed.
Watching the original series is a bit like panning for gold.

It's a bit like buying The Best Of New Order and getting the impression they were knocking out a Bizarre Love Triangle every day. Cleese himself said they were very unfocussed cos working in a team you could always blame someone else. With Fawlty Towers he was far more pro. Like Fellini, they make for an awesome anthology (like the first film), but a whole ep is hard going. The Young Ones are a guffaw a sec.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 15th March 2022, 11:36 AM

I have the four series box set too. People remember the quality and forget how much total and utter shit there was in there.

There were a number of classic, very funny sketches and that's all I want from my 4 discs - they cost me diddly squat S/H off eBay, so what care I. I can indulge myself at any time and there's always the FF button.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th March 2022, 2:37 PM

There were a number of classic, very funny sketches and that's all I want from my 4 discs - they cost me diddly squat S/H off eBay, so what care I. I can indulge myself at any time and there's always the FF button.

Not sure the point is wether your DVD's offered value for money - but were the Pythons as good as everyone remembers.
I think history has been far too kind to them.
It's no coincidence that the fans could recite every line of every sketch at the live shows - they'd seen the same few "great" sketches so many times.
In terms of consistency Fawlty Towers is leagues ahead.