George And Mildred - The Film

Sadly, one of those sitcom films that simply does not work when you take the main characters out of their usual environment - even the Fourmiles only feature briefly at the start and end of the film.

Considering the superb TV series, this verges on the dire, there's a couple of reasonable jokes............

When she introduces herself to the Spanish lothario, and then bores him to death with the state of her marriage.

Mildred : "Mildred Roper, nee Trembler"

Mildred : "And the honeymoon? Two solid weeks of Monopoly! The only thrill of the fortnight was when he landed on my waterworks"

As you say, not the best, but certainly not dreadful. I recall being amused by the "bloody pervert" line in a hotel room scene.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th January 2019, 12:21 AM

Sadly, one of those sitcom films that simply does not work when you take the main characters out of their usual environment

It's the lack of a studio audience that ruins it for me. Maybe it would work better seen in a packed cinema with gales of laughter.

It's rare for a TV sitcom to be expanded successfully to the cinema screen and "George and Mildred" was not only spectacularly unsuccessful on the big screen but is also widely regarded as one of the worst British films ever made.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th January 2019, 1:47 PM

It's rare for a TV sitcom to be expanded successfully to the cinema screen and "George and Mildred" was not only spectacularly unsuccessful on the big screen but is also widely regarded as one of the worst British films ever made.

Come, come, there were loads of atrocious sex comedies about that time. Such as What's Up Nurse! and Queen Kong. George and Mildred suffered from that prolonged cafe scene with the thugs near the start but certainly isn't one of the worst British films ever.

Quote: Kenneth @ 27th January 2019, 4:29 PM

Come, come, there were loads of atrocious sex comedies about that time. Such as What's Up Nurse! and Queen Kong. George and Mildred suffered from that prolonged cafe scene with the thugs near the start but certainly isn't one of the worst British films ever.

Agreed - Carry On Emmanuelle seemed to be much worse. I quite liked the George and Mildred film as I recall.

Good but not great, don't think they should have taken them out of the usual setting as the lack of Fourmiles in this film really shows and only appeared at the start and end. The TV series in a different league to the film. Good but not great. Some bad scenes in there like at the cafe with the bikers, and Mildred boring the Spanish guy to death with her marriage

Quote: Wheel @ 3rd January 2021, 3:38 PM

Good but not great, don't think they should have taken them out of the usual setting as the lack of Fourmiles in this film really shows and only appeared at the start and end. The TV series in a different league to the film. Good but not great. Some bad scenes in there like at the cafe with the bikers, and Mildred boring the Spanish guy to death with her marriage

Oi! Naughty person. :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th January 2019, 12:21 AM

Sadly, one of those sitcom films that simply does not work when you take the main characters out of their usual environment - even the Fourmiles only feature briefly at the start and end of the film.

Considering the superb TV series, this verges on the dire, there's a couple of reasonable jokes............

When she introduces herself to the Spanish lothario, and then bores him to death with the state of her marriage.

Mildred : "Mildred Roper, nee Trembler"

Mildred : "And the honeymoon? Two solid weeks of Monopoly! The only thrill of the fortnight was when he landed on my waterworks"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd January 2021, 3:59 PM

OI!

Yep, I have the same sentiments as you LOL. Well taking them out of the normal setting is a bad thing and hardly any Forumiles is even bad, as I missed a lot of the conflict between George and Jeffrey Fourmile and his son picking up some of George's habits. You can't put George and Mildred in a top London hotel, just doesn't work. You wouldn't ever see them in that type of setting.