Father Brown

I'm currently watching the new Series 7 which was shown on the BBC in the afternoons over the last couple of weeks.

It is becoming more humorous with the addition of a couple of new characters. Firstly Emer Kenny plays a typical jolly hockey sticks public school girl who gets into all sorts of scrapes.

Jack Deam plays Inspector Mallory who refers to Father Brown as Padre and has obviously based his character on James Finlayson, the famous squinting man with the moustache in the Laurel and Hardy films. He always thinks he knows better than Father Brown.

Then of course there is Mark Williams who plays Father Brown himself. He has a long tradition of comic acting.

A sort of Midsummer Murders in the 1950s.

Yes, I like to watch this. The 3/4 hour running time is just right too - 2 hours of Midsomer Murders is too long for my attention span.

Don't know why they have to show it every day, though, rather than weekly. The latest series (series 7) is already finished - and it only started on 7 January. They were back to repeats of series 6 today. I record them so I can watch them a little more sparingly.

Yes 10 episodes - one a day for two weeks. They'll be on Drama soon.

And, as you say, they're all the better since Bunty arrived in the village a couple of series ago.

It's back! As from today. But without Mrs McCarthy and Bunty. Whether their absence is permanent remains to be seen of course.

Seems to be on weekly at the moment rather than daily as before.

Isn't his new "help" Barnaby's daughter from Midsomer Murders?

Quote: Chappers @ 6th January 2023, 10:35 PM

Isn't his new "help" Barnaby's daughter from Midsomer Murders?

No idea. IMDB is your friend there. At two hours Midsomer Murders was always too long drawn out, and with too many characters coming and going, for me to have any idea of what was going on.

However, I believe I recognised her from Lark Rise to Candleford back in the day.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th January 2023, 8:16 AM

No idea. IMDB is your friend there. At two hours Midsomer Murders was always too long drawn out, and with too many characters coming and going, for me to have any idea of what was going on.

However, I believe I recognised her from Lark Rise to Candleford back in the day.

Which day was that?

Watching the 1954 film Father Brown on Film4 (re-showing 3.30pm Wednesday and, I believe, available on All4 until Thursday) with Alec Guinness in the title role and a stellar cast including Sam Kydd (of course!), Sid James, Cecil Parker, Peter Finch, Joan Greenwood, Ernest Clark (Doctor in the House etc), John Horsley (Doc Morrissey), Noel Howlett (Please Sir) & Bernard Lee (M).

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 21st January 2019, 10:16 PM

Yes, I like to watch this. The 3/4 hour running time is just right too - 2 hours of Midsomer Murders is too long for my attention span.

Don't know why they have to show it every day, though, rather than weekly. The latest series (series 7) is already finished - and it only started on 7 January. They were back to repeats of series 6 today. I record them so I can watch them a little more sparingly.

Looks like I've missed most of them; I saw only a few of the new ones as they did not seem to come up on the Freesat searches for me to record them.

Oddly enough there was an old black&white film of a Father Brown story on the telly a few days ago.

Quote: billwill @ 23rd February 2023, 11:27 PM

Looks like I've missed most of them; I saw only a few of the new ones as they did not seem to come up on the Freesat searches for me to record them.

All episodes of the current series are available on the BBC iPlayer for 10 months and episodes from earlier series are shown on Fridays and Saturdays on Drama.

Quote: billwill @ 23rd February 2023, 11:27 PM

Oddly enough there was an old black&white film of a Father Brown story on the telly a few days ago.

As I might have mentioned...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 21st February 2023, 6:27 PM

Watching the 1954 film Father Brown on Film4 (re-showing 3.30pm Wednesday and, I believe, available on All4 until Thursday) with Alec Guinness in the title role and a stellar cast including Sam Kydd (of course!), Sid James, Cecil Parker, Peter Finch, Joan Greenwood, Ernest Clark (Doctor in the House etc), John Horsley (Doc Morrissey), Noel Howlett (Please Sir) & Bernard Lee (M).

There was a decapitation in Friday's episode.

Watched today's. I think they're running out of ideas for stories.

Alibi is starting a repeat run from the very first episode on Tuesday (11 April) 8pm.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th April 2023, 9:49 AM

Alibi is starting a repeat run from the very first episode on Tuesday (11 April) 8pm.

Aren't they still available on iplayer?