Never The Twain Page 3

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ 12th December 2012, 2:17 PM

Hard to believe it ran for 10 years straight.

I didn't know it ran for ten years.

I remember watching the first episode (or perhaps just a bit of the first episode) and thinking how terribly old-fashioned and dreadfully dull it was.

It is, of course, entirely possible that I misjudged it.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible I didn't.

This was another typical ITV sitcom.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st January 2019, 10:25 PM

This was another typical ITV sitcom.

Yes, I agree, although a mate of mine who's two years my junior seemed to love it. I looked up the theme tune last night - it's baroque and pretty impressive.

11 years and 11 series back to back and weirdly with only one Crimbo special, and all ITV primetime slots. Many writers would kill for that level of success.

Caught an episode of this on one of the ITV channels, and it wasn't too bad - quite enjoyed it in fact and may give another episode a look.

Never ever watched it before. I like Windsor Davies "shoulders back, lovely boy", but with Donald Sinden (who I like) I watch with a smile as I remember all the brilliant impersonations that have been done of him over the years.

11 series? Unbelievable. I think I've only seen one or two episodes.

I find it unbelievable that an actor of Sinden's reputation was happy to be in a television show with such poor, unfunny scripts.

It's very weak.

Quote: tonecapone @ 25th July 2021, 12:14 PM

11 years and 11 series back to back and weirdly with only one Crimbo special, and all ITV primetime slots. Many writers would kill for that level of success.

Yep, especially now with the doors being almost shut on new sitcoms.

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th April 2023, 12:41 PM

I find it unbelievable that an actor of Sinden's reputation was happy to be in a television show with such poor, unfunny scripts.

Have you known or met any actors, Lofty? Turning down regular paid work in a notoriously competitive and unstable profession is not something that's encouraged for professional actors, whatever their reputation in 'more serious' formats of the trade.

I agree, actors - no matter how good or respected- will often do any old crap for the money. Writers too.

And to quote a famous actor, 'If actors were builders, there'd be no housing shortage', as actors are incredibly reliable at turning up for work, builders less so.

But we're talking about Donald Sinden here, hardly a Richard Burton or Laurence Olivier - I've always bracketed him with the likes of Brian Rix et al.

Sitcoms probably sullied his reputation slightly as he was a Shakespearean actor, and very good in films like The Cruel Sea and Villain.

It's like Albert Finney being in Two Packets of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

I'd say he was more at the stage where he'd done his name making in more serious work, and was able to relax and enjoy himself in a lighter role. It was also a playful nod to his ham acting reputation he'd been given by some. They look like they had a ball together, especially in the earlier series.

Just recently discovered this when I found a used DVD. Wasn't sure I'd like it; didn't particularly enjoy Two's Company with Sinden and Elaine Stritch. Oddly, I've been completely charmed by Never The Twain's hammy acting and predictable scripts. Can't explain the reason when I'm usually fairly picky. In the end, what matters is whether it makes me laugh. This does.