I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,006

Yeah entertaining if you like demented racist old bigots

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th January 2019, 1:16 AM

If it's something trivial then I agree the queen enjoys an untouchable status but if the monarch started shooting people like you suggested I also have no doubt there is a mechanism in place to remove them from power. It's an unthinkable scenario but I would hope if the queen did start murdering people then the government would instruct the military to take action in the face of an impending civil war.

I doubt it, I seem to recall that the soldiers swear allegiance to the Monarch, not to Parliament. The government does not directly control the Military forces.

Quote: lofthouse @ 20th January 2019, 12:24 PM

Yeah entertaining if you like demented racist old bigots

What a show it would be! It's a shame Prince Edward has stopped making TV shows. A Royals edition of Pointless or Have I Got News For You would be amazing, provided Phil the Greek participates.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th January 2019, 1:16 AM

if the queen did start murdering people then the government would instruct the military to take action

The queen is Commander-in-chief of the British Armed Forces and every soldier has sworn an oath "I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty".

The oath, in full, also includes allegiance to the queen's heirs and successors but that detail need not concern us here.

In short, if the queen goes on a murderous shooting spree, there is little the country can do other than to take cover until she runs out of ammo.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th January 2019, 5:30 PM

The queen is Commander-in-chief of the British Armed Forces and every soldier has sworn an oath "I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty".

The oath, in full, also includes allegiance to the queen's heirs and successors but that detail need not concern us here.

In short, if the queen goes on a murderous shooting spree, there is little the country can do other than to take cover until she runs out of ammo.

I expect it would take a Magna Carta situation, all the barons would have to unite and force the monarch to accept restrictive terms, which she would not necessarily be bound to.

As happened with King John. I seem to recall he cancelled the first Magna Carta, but another one was agreed by John's successors some years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta

In the Magna Carta situation, a group of barons and their army seized control of London and said to King John "Stop being such a greedy bastard with all your ridiculous taxes or we're going to take your power, your money and your country away from you!"

John replied "Enough with the threats already. I'm a reasonable man!" and a mutually satisfactory arrangement was thereafter arrived at.

In the hypothetical modern-day situation we are discussing, however, I don't see any way that the queen could be persuaded to take any course of action that would result in her being prosecuted for the murder of several police officers and spending the rest of her natural life in prison.

This is such an incredible load of shite. What citizen in their right mind would stand by while a monarch would do this? Let's face it - Auld Lizzie is too busy counting her millons to jeapordise the proceeds,

To the guillotine .......

Quote: Briosaid @ 20th January 2019, 8:43 PM

This is such an incredible load of shite.

One thing of which I am very sure - in the entire history of the world, there has never been a great work of art that has not at some time been described by somebody in those very words.

Laughing out loud

Yes, I remember my 16-year-old self standing in front of the Mona Lisa thinking these very words.Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: billwill @ 20th January 2019, 7:19 PM

As happened with King John. I seem to recall he cancelled the first Magna Carta, but did another one some years later.

So she did die in vain...

Quote: Briosaid @ 19th January 2019, 9:00 PM

Prince f**king Phillip anybody?

Is that what you want to do?

That just had me reaching for the sick bucket.SickSickSick

Just read that Fuller's have sold their brewery operations to Japan's Asahi. Sad day for an iconic London brewery.

London pride is one of my favourite beers.
I order 5L kegs direct from them.

One of the most popular beers of all time but I've never got on with London Pride, just personal taste. Their Chiswick Ale I like. Another depressing sell off to foreigners, that'll be my last drop of Fullers then. At least the brewery is staying put, one of the few left in London, after Youngs sold theirs to be demolished for flats, with only its pretty little draymans archway intact I believe but I've not passed that way since to check. :(