Laughter In Paradise

This is, to my mind, one of the finest comedy films of all time. In fact, it is probably the finest comedy film of all time.

The screenplay is absolutely superb and the performance of each and every actor is equally wonderful.

With star turns by Alastair Sim at his best, plus George Cole, John Laurie, Joyce Grenfell, Eleanor Summerfield and other comedy stalwarts, not to mention a couple of fleeting appearances by the then unknown Audrey Hepburn, what's not to love about this classic British comedy?

Surprisingly, however, it is rarely mentioned when comedy aficionados get together to discuss the all-time great productions of British cinema.

I'm sure all BCG members "of a certain age" must have seen it but it's entirely possible that a few younger members have never heard of it, never mind seen it.

If you haven't seen it or if you haven't seen it for a while, I think you'll find that watching it, whether for the first time or not, is 90 minutes very well spent.

It's on Talking Pictures tv overnight early next Monday morning @12.45 am so set your boxes to record.

More out of curiosity than hope I've ordered Some Will, Some Won't, which is a 1970s remake.