I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,005

You can be a member of Mensa and lack emotional intelligence.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 6th January 2019, 11:53 AM

That is true.

Emotional intelligence and some other types of intelligence are not normally measured by IQ tests.

Having said that, in order to obtain Mensa membership a person must demonstrate exceptional mental agility which is, of course, a very good thing. It's not something for which anybody can reasonably be criticised.

To come up with an unreasonable flaw then, it is the higher intelligent quotient in a specific country. And it depends on the country.

I think psychologists and "educationalists" have been complaining about the flaws in IQ from the beginning?

IQ testing has strong links to fascist ideology, being originally developed to find out which low-scoring children needed special educational help, then used to sterilise such people. The Nazis used it a lot. Mensa is well-known for attracting oddballs and the socially insecure. My IQ score is off the top of the scale, of course.

Quote: beaky @ 6th January 2019, 1:08 PM

Mensa is well-known for attracting oddballs and the socially insecure.

I have no doubt that's true.

People with very high IQs often have difficulty fitting in with "normal" society.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 6th January 2019, 11:53 AM

I wasn't familiar with that term, so I did a little reading about emotional intelligence. It seems to be something that kicked off 25 years ago and isn't held in high regard by psychologists, but businesses have jumped on it as another method of categorizing their workforce. If I understand correctly, it's mainly a measure of how well a person is aware of his own emotions, while also recognizing and being able to work with/around another person's emotions. Self-control and empathy, in other words.

A year ago I was enrolled in a class where they made us take the Clifton Strengths test. The standard mumbo jumbo: answer a pile of questions and we'll tell you what your strengths are. Here are my top 5 results. As you can see, there's an emphasis on learning, analytical thinking, empathy, inclusiveness and fairness:

Learner
People who are especially talented in the Learner theme have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excites them.

Includer
People who are especially talented in the Includer theme are accepting of others. They show awareness of those who feel left out, and make an effort to include them.

Connectedness
People who are especially talented in the Connectedness theme have faith in the links between all things. They believe there are few coincidences and that almost every event has a reason.

Analytical
People who are especially talented in the Analytical theme search for reasons and causes. They have the ability to think about all the factors that might affect a situation.

Consistency
People who are especially talented in the Consistency theme are keenly aware of the need to treat people the same. They try to treat everyone in the world with consistency by setting up clear rules and adhering to them.

I think it's a load of hogwash, personally. :)

Quote: Rood Eye @ 6th January 2019, 1:23 PM

People with very high IQs often have difficulty fitting in with "normal" society.

I have no desire to hang around with a bunch of eggheads, unless it involves drinking beer. :)

For what it's worth, my SAT score of 1260 is only 10 points above the Mensa cutoff, so if I were to join I'd be one of the thicker members.

Well that's another day wasted when they could all have been doing what they're paid for and actually doing something constructive towards sorting it all out.

AAWWWWWDAAAAA!

AWWWWWDAAAAAA!!!!

Guy Fawkes had the right idea

Prince f**king Phillip anybody?

Glad everyone is not seriously injured because it could have been much worse. I don't doubt Prince Phillip wasn't over the limit but can you imagine how tough it must have been for the police to take a breath test from him. Makes me wonder if they would be permitted to do that if it was the Queen who had crashed.

If it was a 97 year old Joe Bloggs they would have their licence revoked so it seems he is getting special treatment. I can't imagine what kind of fall out would have resulted if he had caused a fatality.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 19th January 2019, 11:04 PM

I don't doubt Prince Phillip wasn't over the limit but can you imagine how tough it must have been for the police to take a breath test from him. Makes me wonder if they would be permitted to do that if it was the Queen who had crashed.

The police have no authority over the queen. If she were driving a vehicle that was involved in a road traffic accident and was as drunk as a lord (lady?) at the accident scene, there would be no point in requesting a breath specimen as, even if it proved positive, no prosecution could follow. Even if she'd produced a gun and shot all the police officers stone dead while being videoed by a passerby, no legal action could be taken against her.

There is a legal maxim: rex non potest peccare (the king can do no wrong).

It applies equally to a queen who is the reigning monarch.

It's a good job she's such a nice lady, isn't it?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 19th January 2019, 11:45 PM

Even if she'd produced a gun and shot all the police officers stone dead while being videoed by a passerby, no legal action could be taken against her.

Interesting and some googling found a lot of discussion and this is the easiest to digest from Quora:

"It's her law. It's her courts. It's her police. It's her armed forces. It's her government. It's her country. It's her people. She is Queen, by the Grace of God. Defender of the Faith. No law of the land binds the sovereign, by whose hand the laws are given force. No court is competent to judge her, no officer of the crown entitled to make arrest.

But this could be described as dated legal theory, for all practical purposes, the rule of law does apply to the Queen like any other British person. However the constitutional nightmare of having to deal with the event would be a disaster, best avoided."

That makes me think if the Queen did go on a shooting rampage there would be an appropriate repsonse from the old bill.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th January 2019, 12:05 AM

for all practical purposes, the rule of law does apply to the Queen like any other British person.

I don't know who said that on the Quora site but it's difficult to imagine a statement more at odds with the truth.

Somebody else on the Quora site says very accurately "So, for the queen to be prosecuted, her own police force would have to investigate her, she would then need to prosecute herself, find herself guilty - and then lock herself up in own of her own prisons. That is, of course, unless she chose to pardon herself."

I think she's pretty safe.

If it's something trivial then I agree the queen enjoys an untouchable status but if the monarch started shooting people like you suggested I also have no doubt there is a mechanism in place to remove them from power. It's an unthinkable scenario but I would hope if the queen did start murdering people then the government would instruct the military to take action in the face of an impending civil war.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th January 2019, 1:16 AM

If it's something trivial then I agree the queen enjoys an untouchable status but if the monarch started shooting people like you suggested I also have no doubt there is a mechanism in place to remove them from power. It's an unthinkable scenario but I would hope if the queen did start murdering people then the government would instruct the military to take action in the face of an impending civil war.

You lot are bloody lucky to still have Phil the Greek. He's the most entertaining Royal there is. Just need to limit him to driving himself on private roads and get him a chauffeur for public roads. There really should be a talk show, Phil the Greek Speaks, in which he chats about local and international news, and tells a few jokes. Would be the best show in the world.