Merry Christmas Page 6

Merry Christmas

Quote: Firkin @ 10th January 2019, 10:06 AM

Agread.

You gov states 53% remain 47% leave. Remain has been ahead since 2017. See here:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-there-was-a-referendum-on-britains-membership-of-the-eu-how-would-you-vote-2/

In my humble opinion a petition totalling 0.5% of the population is less democratic than professional and respected census company, that avoids leading questions and comes under scrutiny, such as NatCen (above).

Check the number of people polled, if that is the same as the "Sample Size" it was a mere 1275 persons compared to 578,990 on the petitions. https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-there-was-a-referendum-on-britains-membership-of-the-eu-how-would-you-vote-2/?notes

I make that 578,990 as about 3.9% of the voting population (46.8 million).

Opinion polls are notorious for being wrong.

The key parts of the question described, i.e the options for the answers seems to be missing from the website.

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th January 2019, 8:46 PM

I used to run a club for 'gifted children' (note Da Butt, actually gifted, not your paid up Mensa shit).

I was in the gifted program during my school years. School officials wanted to promote me a year or two, but my parents chose to let me remain with my peers.

However it seems you know better than all these clever people. I really think you believe you know better than the experts who're telling us 'No'.

Bill has merely been pointing out that Brexit has wide support. Even if your friends and family do not support it, the results of the referendum speak for themselves. Your personal anecdotes do not change the fact that the majority of voters wanted to leave the EU.

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th January 2019, 9:33 PM

I'm very tempted to tell you to f**k off, since you don't live here and don't see the wider picture, which is more or less what you've said to us in the past about the US.

Yet only one of us has even contemplated telling the other to f**k off. The other one is open-minded, civil, and willing to hear the other's opinion.

Really you just want an argument.

Argues the angry Scottish woman...

your first task is to learn to be human.

Ah yes, "dehumanize your enemy" - one of the 10 Commandments of fascists and totalitarians.

You and I share more than 99% of our DNA. We're both quite human.

And, by the way, here we are again with your allegations of how brilliant you are. Give it a rest, or see a psychologist about why you have a need to assert your cleverness so often.

And yet every time it is in response to you, who continue to bring it up. Perhaps you should see a psychologist and she if they can figure out why you're so obsessed with my level of intelligence.

Bill doesn't need your help to defend himself. He and I have known each other for years and have had these debates many times on Facebook.

Are you as charming on Facebook as you are in these forums?

I, too, have known Bill for years, and I've never seen him post anything that wasn't well-reasoned and polite. He's a good egg.

No offence to anyone because I'm strictly neutral when it comes to online discussion but is this constant bickering going to continue throughout 2019 as well? I ask because it's depressing seeing grownups arguing with each other on a public forum and this has evolved in to being offensive. Personal and vindictive comments. Maybe private messaging is more appropriate to sort out differences or perhaps not talking at all is the order of the day. We all have our own opinions and it shouldn't result in personal attacks and disrespectful behaviour to other members. Is that not in the rules of posting?

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th January 2019, 10:35 PM

Open-minded and willing to listen to others' opinions?

Yep. I may disagree, but even if I do, I don't cast aspersions, nor do I tell someone they're less than human.

You're only interested in your own opinions and in boasting how clever (you think) you are.

Nope. Not even close to the truth.

Admit it - whenever I post, you jump in and try to be smart-arsed with a disagreement.

Nope. I don't call you out by name, either.

You don't like me

100% untrue.

Maybe I hit a nerve there with my suggestion you should see a psychologist.

Not at all. Perhaps that's what you were hoping for, but you're just an angry woman on the Internet. Sticks and stones, etc.

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th January 2019, 11:11 PM

I was having a discussion with Bill which was interrupted by our American, simply because he doesn't like me. I'd rather hear Bill's response. God knows why Da Butt felt he had to interfere.

Interrupted? You specifically called me out by name:

Bill, I really don't know where to start with you. I know lots of intelligent educated people. I used to run a club for 'gifted children' (note Da Butt, actually gifted, not your paid up Mensa shit).

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th January 2019, 11:16 PM

See your psychologist for guidance.

Never had the need to avail myself of mental health care.

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th January 2019, 11:16 PM

By the way the only way any of us know about your alleged IQ is because YOU brought it up.

After you insisted that I was unintelligent. I offered to prove otherwise.

...So it will continue throughout 2019 thanks for confirming guys.

Briosaid, If you bothered to actually read my posts instead of flying into a rage when you see the word Brexit, you would actually see that I have not been encouraging anyone, especially yourself, to support Brexit.

I have merely presented links to real hard facts and invited readers to read the real hard facts and make up their own minds about Brexit. There is so much rubbish and exaggeration being said by economists and polititions that it is quite hard to burrow down to real facts and give the links to them. Where I have expressed an opinion that the UK should leave the EU it is clearly maked as my opinion and readers are invited to ignore it and make up their own minds. I only chip in on your comments when you describe unsubstantiated stuff as if you know for sure that it is the majority opinion of the whole UK.

Now for some more real facts that you seem to have chosen to ignore.
Here are the results of the 2016 referendum. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36616028 On the map of the LEAVE votes, you can see a few pale blue areas mainly London and Glasgow. If you burrow down to Glasgow City you find:
Leave 33.4% 84,474 votes
Remain 66.6% 168,335 votes

So in your mini poll of your friends it looks as if you missed about 84,000 supporters of LEAVE in your neighbourhood. Theres no doubt at all that the predominant votes in Glasgow City was to REMAIN, but remember that does not reflect the opinion of the rest of the UK which on the map is mostly dark Blue.

Further down the page is a yellow and blue map shoing the areas that predominately voted Remain (Yellow) or Leave (Blue). As you and probably the rest of the readers here know, Scotland voted Remain and most of England & Wales voted Leave and the total votes for Leave exceeded the total votes for Remain.

So you insult my intelligence when you say I must be wrong to support leaving, I'm a member of the majority opinion, you are a member of the minority opinion. Also you are living in a location which had less than average voters turn out, yet earlier you dared to say that the referendum ommitted a third of the voters.

But honestly I can't really be bothered to continue this post as you will not read it rationally anyway, you have a closed mind, You made up your mind and choose to ignore any real facts, you won't even bother to read them.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 11th January 2019, 11:24 PM

...So it will continue throughout 2019 thanks for confirming guys.

:D

The next time I'm in the UK I'll buy you both a pint and we can hug it out. Hug

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th January 2019, 11:49 PM

You'll need to come to Scotland.

It's on my list, as are Wales and Ireland. I don't think I've ventured much more north than Birmingham.

And is that a pint of wine?

Pick your poison.

Quote: Briosaid @ 12th January 2019, 12:02 AM

Da Butt, in spite of our differences, if you ever come to Scotland, I'd welcome you. We could growl at each other.

It's a deal.

I used to run a club for 'gifted children'

That's a bit cruel trying to bring them down to your level.

You'll need to come to Scotland. I'm not venturing into the cesspit that is London.

That's a blessing!

While I do not skip gaily across the meadows hand-in-hand with DaButt on guns, Trump and Chevy Chase, I do envy him his cool-headed imperturbability. He seems to possess an infinite fuse that can never be lit. One of the highlights of these boards, when I first joined about a decade ago, was the civility. It seemed to be clever or young people (sometimes both) engaging in insightful and witty banter. Always politely. Many of those members no longer post, perhaps because the forum was gradually devolving into tedious banality, punctuated only by the rancorous sniping of people too old and too bitter to focus on creativity and clever critique of current comedy. Such is life.

Quote: Kenneth @ 13th January 2019, 3:07 AM

One of the highlights of these boards, when I first joined about a decade ago, was the civility.

[Googles "Will a mouthful of coffee damage my keyboard?"]