Who do you fancy? Page 1,288

Quote: David Carmon @ 8th January 2019, 8:38 AM

How? Just how is this thread still here after all this time?

Because it is awesome.
Bianca Guaccero.

Quote: David Carmon @ 8th January 2019, 8:38 AM

How? Just how is this thread still here after all this time?

But so not to risk going "off topic"

Jack Laugher

Now I've googled him, I concur.

Closing thread.
We already have a who do you fancy thread. Which no mod has ever even hinted will be closed. You bunch of weirdos.

Aaron disapproved of our sexist comments of Emily Atack, saying we should love her for her work. Just saying.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 11th January 2019, 12:29 PM

Aaron disapproved of our sexist comments of Emily Atack

Yes, in a completely different thread, about her career, where several posters were being disgusting misogynists.

I quite fancy Emily Atack.

Did you know she's the daughter of Kate Robbins, niece of Ted Robbins and an indirect descendant of Paul McCartney? I'm surprised her genealogy isn't mentioned more than it is.

Apparently, she's just unleashed a rant on Twitter complaining about the countless people who've said she "scrubs up well", meaning that she looks a hell of a lot better wearing make-up than she does without it.

She is keen to inform all those people that to tell a woman she "scrubs up well" is not a compliment.

Quite right, Emily.

I fancy you with or without make up.

I thought scrubs up well is referring to without makeup.

Eh?

I saw your response Rood Eye which seems to have gone so not sure how that has happened but I appreciate your definition and your attention to detail in general. I didn't think it was possible to delete posts so do you know what happened to it?

I think of 'scrubbing up well' as a scene from something like Annie. Someone going from filthy to clean rather than already clean to accessories like makeup.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 11th January 2019, 11:08 PM

I saw your response Rood Eye which seems to have gone.

Yes, I deleted it because it was quite lengthy and I often lose sight of the fact that my love of words and meanings is not shared by everybody.

There's nothing worse than writing something, posting it and then beginning to suspect that people might be losing the will to live before they're even halfway through reading it.

I think of 'scrubbing up well' as a scene from something like Annie. Someone going from filthy to clean . . .

Yes, I think that's exactly how the phrase originated and its current use is, in fact, a humorous reference to that process. Nowadays, it's used mainly when someone who we are used to seeing in work clothes or very casual everyday clothes suddenly appears dressed smartly.

I think of 'scrubbing up well' as a scene from something like Annie. Someone going from filthy to clean rather than already clean to accessories like makeup.

Different nations, of course, but here it is referred to as "He/she cleans up well" and it means that someone is capable of looking good if they really try. It can have a slightly mean/rude tinge to it if you're insinuating that someone doesn't typically make any effort to look good, but it's often just a simple "Hey, you/I look pretty good. I'm not used to dressing up (or seeing you dressed up.)"

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th January 2019, 11:23 PM

Yes, I deleted it because it was quite lengthy and I often lose sight of the fact that my love of words and meanings is not shared by everybody.

There's nothing worse than writing something, posting it and then beginning to suspect that people might be losing the will to live before they're even halfway through reading it.

Yes, I think that's exactly how the phrase originated and its current use is, in fact, a humorous reference to that process. Nowadays, it's used mainly when someone who we are used to seeing in work clothes or very casual everyday clothes suddenly appears dressed smartly.

Fair enough and I didn't realise you can delete posts so they never existed. In future you should edit them instead of deleting because some people like your prose. Not if you keep deleting it thoughs.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th January 2019, 10:33 PM

Nancy Carroll, better known as Lady Felicia. I do like a bit of posh - especially as there's no longer any Lady Jane.

And Bunty is quite voluptuous too. AKA Emer Kenny,

Quote: Chappers @ 8th January 2019, 10:33 PM

I do like a bit of posh.

I prefer Sporty.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 16th January 2019, 12:41 PM

I prefer Sporty.

I meant REALLY posh!

Michel Barnier, when he's dressed in casual clothes. What a man! Macron is also a bit of all right.