Stand-ups who laugh at their own material

There's nothing wrong with a comedian laughing at his own material, as long as the laughter is genuine.

I'd even go as far as to say there's nothing wrong with a comedian laughing at his own material even if the laughter is fake - as long as it appears genuine. It is an "act" after all.

Having said that, I do get annoyed with comedians who laugh at their own material in a way that is obviously fake.

The worst offender is probably Joel Dommett, who giggles and chuckles his way through his act in the most unconvincing and embarrassing way I've ever seen in my life.

Perhaps he's worried that if he stops laughing at his own jokes, he'll be performing in total silence?

I've said before, Joel Dormett is the unfunniest comedian around. I have never laughed at one thing I've heard him say.

Billy Connolley does a lot of forced fake laughter - but he gets a pass

Quote: Will Cam @ 4th January 2019, 8:11 PM

I've said before, Joel Dormett is the unfunniest comedian around. I have never laughed at one thing I've heard him say.

I've never heard of him. Am I getting old? Don't answer that.

When I do stand-up, I only laugh at unplanned stuff. This is because:
1. I know my own stuff inside out.
2. My persona is deadpan.
3, My own stuff is total shit.

I understand that Joel Dommett will be appearing in "The Stand-Up Sketch Show" - coming this month to ITV2.

Quote: Will Cam @ 4th January 2019, 8:11 PM

How funny, only the other day we were trying to supposes why he's popular. I would agree his material is very week, but I think he has a touch of the Des O Conner. In that he's likeable and he presents well. He's also very animated and creates a sense of excitement, in that reality show star kind of way.

I got the impression, he's only doing stand up to get in the spot light. I see him as a presenter, maybe actor. That said I though Bruce Forsyths and Jonathan Ross fell into the same category, presentation over content. I can only assume, their piss poor material is purposeful any ideas why it's popular ? Is it because it reminds us of the corny jokes our relatives tell ?

Quote: Chappers @ 4th January 2019, 10:59 PM

I've never heard of him. Am I getting old? Don't answer that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlHM6mxueBo