Island of Dreams

First new comedy of the year, what do you think

If ever a sitcom pilot were destined for mixed reviews, I think this is it.

However, as I've always said, it matters not one jot how many people hate a programme or couldn't care less about a programme: all that matters is how many people watch a programme - and I think "Island of Dreams" has tremendous potential for success.

The talent of the cast is as colossal as it is undeniable. Morgana Robinson is, in my view, one of the greatest comedy talents of modern times and Harry Enfield is, of course, one of the greatest comedy talents of all time. Samantha Spiro's foul-mouthed, slutty JK Rowling was a joy to behold although I think the BBC might be hearing from JK's solicitors very soon. The rest of the cast are also to be commended for their contributions to what was a thoroughly entertaining half-hour.

Yes, comedy experts can, if they wish, tear it to shreds on a variety of justifiable grounds but, even if they do, I hope it rises again to become a fully fledged series.

The scene of Gregg Wallace playing connect 4 was very funny and anything with Harry Enfield in has potential. Morgana Robinson as you said is very good as well, and perfect for this

A lot seemed a bit unpolished, I don't think Elon Musk has an Eastern European accent, for example. But they have a good example to follow for this kind of idea in The Windsors so I'm interested to see how this develops

Best part for me was the steward telling Branson's hologram his trains were shit.
Talented cast definitely but I thought the script didn't live up to the cast.
I presume it was written with the teenage boy in mind based on the f**king swearing.
Hopefully any subsequent episode proves worthy of the talent on show.

Wasn't quite as fast-paced or gag-packed as I expected, but I enjoyed it and would welcome a series to see how it might develop. Here's hoping.

There were a few moments I laughed out loud. Branson in his underpants is such a sexy sight.

Quote: jsg @ 3rd January 2019, 11:22 PM

A lot seemed a bit unpolished, I don't think Elon Musk has an Eastern European accent, for example.

I don't think I've ever hear heard her speak but I'm sure JK Rowling doesn't have a Northern accent. It just made it funnier.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th January 2019, 12:21 AM

Wasn't quite as fast-paced or gag-packed as I expected, but I enjoyed it and would welcome a series to see how it might develop. Here's hoping.

Do you think it would be better with the same celebs or different ones staying each week?

My instinct is it'd be better with a core of the same celebs, and maybe a couple of spots for guests as and when.

For what it's worth, JK Rowling's accent was West Country, and Elon Musk's was South African.