Fern Brady

I've just been watching "Live at the Apollo".

One of the guests was a young Scottish woman called Fern Brady whose act consisted mainly of attacking people who aren't particularly fond of homosexuality, in theory or in practice.

She denounced Arlene Foster, the leader of the DUP, as a closet lesbian and went on to state as a fact that anybody who disapproves of homosexuality is him/herself gay. Does that mean that, if spiders make you feel uncomfortable, you are in fact a spider yourself? I hope not because I know lots of people who aren't keen on spiders and I can't, for the life of me, figure out where all those people are hiding their extra legs!

Also, by Ms Brady's logic, all those people in Scotland, Wales and Ireland who aren't at all keen on the English must themselves be English!

And does she think all anti-Semites are themselves Jewish?

The most worrying thing, of course, is that by Ms Brady's logic, all the people who watched her act and quickly realised she was talking complete and utter nonsense must themselves be Fern Brady.

Christ - as if one of them wasn't more than enough!

It's called comedy, Rood Eye. You're not supposed to take it literally and extend it to other arguments.

I find her quite funny.

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd December 2018, 1:51 PM

It's called comedy, Rood Eye. You're not supposed to take it literally and extend it to other arguments.

I reserve my rights under the Comedy Act of 1674 to tug at any loose thread I encounter and to keep tugging until I have a huge ball of wool in my hands.

I have, in fact, seen Fern Brady perform other material on other occasions: I came very quickly to the conclusion that she is remarkably good.

:D

I'd never heard of her until this post so looked her up on YouTube
Very professional with a great stage presence.
She cleverly delivers everything deadpan and holds your attention.
But, her material is not for me.
Way too crude.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd December 2018, 12:38 PM

Way too crude.

Some of her material and her language might be considered indelicate but, for me, she gets away with it mainly because it sounds entirely natural coming from her, she doesn't appear to be doing it for shock value and she performs with remarkable self-confidence that appears entirely natural without ever suggesting arrogance.

She's a woman with an original and, I think, fascinating turn of phrase - and that's a tremendous asset to a comedian.

I have a feeling she'll go far.