Rob has his first interview ever and it's not going well...

This one is slightly longer than normal.

https://youtu.be/HgrqDC8XVD4

Being slightly longer than normal isn't a problem in itself. You do have a huge problem however because it's very much longer than it needs to be. Even worse, it's very much longer than it should be by any comedic standards.

The idea is first-class and if you rewrite it properly and edit it properly, in my opinion you'll have your funniest video ever!

If you put it in Critique, I'll tell you how I think it should be done with only two lines of dialogue, the second of which you already have.

Others may have very different ideas, of course.

Thanks Rood Eye, that's some good feedback. We'll probably not do it again but I'm curious now. Can you tell me the two lines of dialogue anyway? I'd probably kick myself after but I'll take it on board for next time.

The video only needs two components:

Firstly, the audience needs to understand that the guy is going to the interview in an attempt to go straight after a significant number of serious criminal convictions. At the moment, you give the audience written information to that effect before the action actually begins. To my mind, you must convey the information either with signage outside the office saying that the company is part of some government initiative to rehabilitate offenders, combined with a line of dialogue from the interviewer pointing out that the interviewee's criminal record would deter most companies from ever employing him but that this company takes a very different attitude and that, if he gets the job, he can look forward to a long and successful career OR you forget about the signage and do all the above with a longer line of dialogue.

Secondly, you then proceed as per your original video with the interviewer asking him a typical simple introductory interview question and the guy answers "No comment".

The video ends at that point and, in my view, that's all you need to make it an absolute cracker of a video.

By telling the audience beforehand of his many experiences of being interviewed under caution, you're pretty much explaining the joke before it happens. It would pay you to give the audience a bit more credit for intelligence and let them get the joke for themselves. :D

I see what you mean, it was the written information bit that I had trouble with what to write. A bigger and better build up, and with a single punch coming in to finish it all off.

Yes, better if just a single frame of exposition captions at the start (or none), or a 'sign' or line to explain the background. I enjoyed the "If you were an animal, what type of animal would you be?" line and Rob's thoughtful pause -- as I have been forced to attend management "training" sessions where that exact stupid question was asked.

Thanks both, I will have a play around with it as I won't need to film it again just cut out some bits and see what it looks/feels like. I need to trim it to under 1 minute for Instagram so I will use your thoughts on it for that.

I did ask Rob to ponder on the animal question as if it intrigued him and he wanted to answer it.

Thanks again for your feedback.