Walter The Softy Sham Page 2

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th December 2018, 2:44 PM

He didn't resign as an MP!

If Teresa May resigned today as PM she would still an MP

Two separate things

Ah I see what you mean and shows how much I know about politics! Surely the PM would sack someone who resigns from a role given to them by the PM from loss of confidence but Boris probably makes a handy distraction so is good value to keep.

A government minister may resign his position as a government minister (which is what Boris did when he resigned as Foreign Secretary) but no MP is allowed to resign his position as an MP.

If an MP wishes to cease being an MP, he must apply for and be appointed to a position which disqualifies him from simultaneously being an MP.

In times gone by, there were several such positions available but today there are only two:

Crown Steward and Bailiff of the three Chiltern Hundreds of Stoke, Desborough and Burnham

and

Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead.

If appointed to either position, an MP is disqualified as an MP and must immediately vacate his seat.

The above two positions offer only a tiny income and may be resigned at any time, at which point the officeholder is free to stand for Parliament again if he wishes.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 14th December 2018, 10:51 PM

One of those figures is a widely unpopular politician

Who, Rees-Mogg? He seems to be popular with the public to me.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 15th December 2018, 1:30 PM

I read somewhere that Mogg has said in interviews how he models his apearance on Walter for effect.

I see a bit of playing a character there myself. He does it very well and I think his politeness and non shoutyness is a breath of fresh air in politics.

Snakes never bark.

He speaks a lot of truth.
And some people just don't like that.
You know, the ones who think there should be a second vote because they lost the first one.

Steve I voted remain and I would love another vote but I can also see the Leavers stance and I can't argue with it which is unusual as I can argue with anyone.
But Rees Mogg is not about that and if everything goes wrong he will be sheltered from the front line hardship that any transition has to endure.
If we do leave with no deal then some will win others will lose , I fear I will be a loser as I am low paid, low skilled council tenant so for me it could be devastating.
If on the other hand I had the resources to not exactly exploit but shall we say benefit from it then I may have a different stance.
But I can only go with my instincts and when Old Etonians say there may be 'Initial Hardship' that usually means the poor get f**ked, so that's why I have my stance and yet can see others,
But Rees Mogg is no indicator of Brexit, he is a spiv like Bojo and does not represent that man on the street.
If the man on the street wants Brexit and is ready to dam the perceived consequences then thats fine by me as he will face the same hardship as me .
But I'm not having it hard from a billionaire who took on his leader , lost but never had the grace to stand down , which in my eyes would have been the quintessential next move for trhe character he portrays , its like watching Biggles strangle a bound Hun Prisoner, right out of character.

There is no disaster that hasn't been extorted by the remain camp.
They have been successful because everyone is now frightened and leavers are having second thoughts.
Their job is almost done!
But it isn't and won't be.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th December 2018, 3:23 PM

A government minister may resign his position as a government minister (which is what Boris did when he resigned as Foreign Secretary) but no MP is allowed to resign his position as an MP.

If an MP wishes to cease being an MP, he must apply for and be appointed to a position which disqualifies him from simultaneously being an MP.

In times gone by, there were several such positions available but today there are only two:

Crown Steward and Bailiff of the three Chiltern Hundreds of Stoke, Desborough and Burnham

and

Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead.

If appointed to either position, an MP is disqualified as an MP and must immediately vacate his seat.

The above two positions offer only a tiny income and may be resigned at any time, at which point the officeholder is free to stand for Parliament again if he wishes.

Cheers for that Rood Eye and interesting info. It makes sense when you consider the role of an MP is voted by constituents so it's a protection from being removed by someone unfairly but I still think Boris and the current cabinet are a shameful bunch who put themselves first and country second. Millionaires have no place in politics. I'm just thankful I don't need benefits because Universal Credit is a 5 week delay before the first payment. Which Eton twerp thought that would work. Five week delay?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th December 2018, 9:20 PM

I'm just thankful I don't need benefits because Universal Credit is a 5 week delay before the first payment. Which Eton twerp thought that would work. Five week delay?

The average person will die after 30 days without food, so it's quite clever of them. Think of the savings! Errr

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 15th December 2018, 7:28 AM

I told a joke on a comedy page and thats all . Now as its comedy and I want to keep it that way, lets have any replies done through comedy on the Critique page . I think thats the best way to resolve it and if its funny I will be the first to agree even if I am the target (Not like that would happen on here)
So lets comedy write our way out shall we? . I've just set the ball rolling down there with a flimsy innuendo piece and I don't take offence at Scouse stereo types or that I'm a bit thick and uncouth, so theres plenty of material. Lets do it

You wouldn't let it lie!

If you don't want a second referendum there is always "it was all a dream" storyline.

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE ! Hope you're all sitting down as I'm about to amaze you (I do love amazing people)
I AGREE WITH TEDDY.
Background: the first 8 years of my life were spent living in 'single ends' ( you can probably Google it) till we had the joy of being given a tenement flat in a scheme, where we sometimes lived side by side with scummy arseholes. My father was always in work but was unskilled and poorly paid. He was desperate that I was given a better life and with much sacrifice I got to graduate from a good university . After that life was as rosy as life can be, but I've never forgotten the hard times, so I'd happily string Rees-Mogg and his filthy ilk from a lamp post by the balls. Those of you who live comfortable lives ( and I don't mean you're wealthy) haven't a f**king clue how it is to be bottom of the heap. It's scandalous that, in a supposedly rich country, people have to go to food banks to survive, even working people. It's scandalous we have people living on the streets. I saw a man recently in one of the fancy streets in Glasgow (Yes we do have them) lying on cardboard sleeping in the rain. Brexit will be fine for the bastards who have loads of money, but not for the people further down. Don't know if It's true but hasn't bloody Mogg moved a lot of his business to Eire? If I believed in Hell I'd pray that (almost) every bastarding Tory ended up there. If we ever get to have another referendum, think of of those less privileged than yourselves. TEDDY Don't apologise for your place in life.

Come on!

There was a recession

Someone has to bare the brunt of it

Why not the poor? Theyre used to living in their own filth anyway

So they can take a bit of austerity I'm sure

Seriously though , any working class person who is suffering since 2008 and the Tory cuts - if they voted Tory - theyre a moron and frankly deserve what they've got

You reap what you sow ya bloody cretins

Teddy reaches out the hand of friendship and solidarity , but could f**k it it quite quickly knowing Teddy .

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 17th December 2018, 8:51 PM

Teddy reaches out the hand of friendship and solidarity , but could f**k it it quite quickly knowing Teddy .

I think you've maybe had some sort of counselling. And It's paid off.
:D