Seeing as it's coming toward the end of the year and it doesn't look like there's any new series to come until next year, I was wondering what people really enjoyed this year.

My favourites were Mum and There She Goes, but I also really enjoyed Derry Girls, Defending the Guilty, Sick of it, Sally4ever, Upstart Crow, In The Long Run, Sick Note, The Bisexual, Flowers, and the Car Share specials

Outside of narrative stuff, I thought the last series of Would I Lie To You was really good. As standup goes, James Acaster's Netflix special might be my favourite standup show of all time. Stewart Lee's Content Provider (BBC2) and Jon Richardson's Old Man tour (DVD) were also very good indeed.

I enjoyed the re-runs of Hi-de-Hi, Are You Being Served, Dad's Army & Ever Decreasing Circles on various channels, the broadcasts of Hancock's Half Hour, Round the Horne, The Men from the Ministry & Brothers in Law on Radio 4 extra and some of the films on Talking Pictures tv.

Yet to come, of course, are the two "lost" Morecambe & Wise shows on Boxing Day.

Quote: jsg @ 13th December 2018, 8:36 PM

As standup goes, James Acaster's Netflix special might be my favourite standup show of all time.

I've just checked on Netflix and I found "Repertoire" which is a four-part special by James Acaster.

I was surprised to find that I'd already scored the first part with two stars, which means I didn't like it. Actually, I can't remember a single moment of it so I don't know how much of it I watched before deciding it wasn't for me.

Encouraged by your glowing testimonial, however, I decided to watch the second part. It was less than five minutes before I decided it was probably the dullest five minutes I've ever spent in my life. I won't be watching another moment of James Acaster.

Is this the Netflix special you refer to in your post?

Yep, that's the one

Quote: jsg @ 13th December 2018, 10:21 PM

Yep, that's the one

In that case, I have never come across a better example of the subjectivity of comedy than your view and my own.

:D

The finalist are: Fleabag, Mum, Flowers and Lady Dynamite. The winner is Fleabag.

I was mainly talking about things that had a series this year. There's only been one series of Fleabag so far, and that was in 2016

Well to me the ONLY new sitcom I've watched and enjoyed was Bad Move.

For me it would be Cunk on Britain and This Country. And recently I am enjoying Ministry of Justice, it is very much like Brass Eye which is my type of humour.

The "Cunk on . . ." programmes are among the funniest I've ever seen.

"Sally4ever" is very funny indeed and very different from most other sitcoms.

"Bad Move" is very funny and very similar to many other sitcoms. I can understand that it might not be everybody's cup of tea but I can't understand how anybody can find it totally unfunny. Like many sitcoms before it, it's about a man and his wife and their neighbours but it's written and performed so well that it outshines most previous attempts at comedy in that most basic of situations.

Quote: Carlos Manwelly @ 14th December 2018, 4:44 PM

Cunk on Britain

I knew I'd forget some. Yeah, that was very good!

I hadn't seen any other Cunk on stuff before that but the humour really took me by surprise, I loved it.

I watched all the Sally4ever but didn't enjoy it as much as I liked her other stuff, it was good and like you say very different.

Can only think of Upstart Crow as being very good but most of that list of shows at the top I haven't watched, I'm not very good at watching new stuff these days as it usually fails to impress. Bad Move I just can't get into because of the actors. Derry Girls is the one I would genuinely like to see after all the good write ups. I might take a daring glimpse of Sally Forever through my hands when drunk enough as I find JD's work scarily sex obsessed.

Yep Derry Girls was great too, its second series shouldn't be too far away now

Hope you'll all be voting in the Comedy.co.uk Awards 2018 in a few weeks' time!