Sally4Ever Page 3

I finally managed to see the first episode, and thought it was great. The intercut scene of the two women making love and the man flossing his teeth was hilarious.

If you've seen one JD comedy,you've seen them all
Next!

From Hannah Jane Parkinson in today's Guardian:

"Have you been watching Sally4Ever? If not, I will track you down and make you."

Read the full article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/dec/08/watching-sally4ever-comedy-track-down-julia-davis

Doesn't really do it for me, tonally it's just the same cruel, monster cringe comedy Davis has produced before, deritive of The Office, Green Wing and of course Nighty Night, perhaps with some extra gross-out scenes. More relief from the obsessive egocentric idiots that account for nearly every character would be welcome as it gets repetitive very quickly. As for Sally herself, she's so passive it's difficult to sympathise with her as victim of the world's heartless habit of treading all over her hopes. If we're talking gender and comedy, maybe that is something women are more able to associate with?
This seems like the same joke told over again and again.

Quote: tenbeersbold @ 8th December 2018, 10:35 PM

deritive of The Office, Green Wing and of course Nighty Night,

Those aren't bad things to be derivative of

It's essentially a one woman show, the passivity of Sally and boyfriend is intensely irritating. But having seen the second episode, two scenes stand out: the dinner table confrontation, with three different conversations woven together, everyone talking over everyone else, was marvellous, and the poor mother, dumbstruck by the horrors she witnessed, trying to convey what she saw with her fingers, had me howling with laughter.

Quote: beaky @ 9th December 2018, 12:03 PM

It's essentially a one woman show, the passivity of Sally and boyfriend is intensely irritating. But having seen the second episode, two scenes stand out: the dinner table confrontation, with three different conversations woven together, everyone talking over everyone else, was marvellous, and the poor mother, dumbstruck by the horrors she witnessed, trying to convey what she saw with her fingers, had me howling with laughter.

The passivity of Sally really irritated me too, especially as the series goes on, but Davis' monster is so entertaining to watch I didn't mind quite so much

Quote: beaky @ 9th December 2018, 12:03 PM

It's essentially a one-woman show

That's true in as much that Julia Davis is the only actor whose character is permanently turned up to 11.

On the other hand, the performances of the other actors, although in most cases restrained, are nevertheless as good as you're likely to see in any sitcom in the world.

As many a professional actor will confirm, doing nothing onstage isn't easy - especially if you're doing it well. :D

I just watched episode 5 and poor Sally continues to be dominated and railroaded through life in ways that I find entirely convincing.

Why does she allow herself to be treated like this? The answer, I suspect, is simply that some people do allow themselves to be treated like this. Complete and utter bastards will always be around to take advantage of such people.

Wonderful stuff!

I've just seen Episode Six and it continues to be one of the finest sitcoms I've ever seen: it's certainly the most original.

In fact, it's so original it's difficult to think of another sitcom (by another writer) to which it might reasonably be compared. That being the case, it's impossible to say whether or not it's better or worse than another very different sitcom.

All I can say about it is that it's wonderfully entertaining and Julia Davis is a brilliant comedy writer.

I've at last seen Episode Seven in which the televisual envelope was pushed even further than most people could have imagined in their worst nightmares.

Will there be a second series? I hope not.

If Julia Davis calls it quits now, Sally4ever will go down in TV history as probably the most remarkable and original British sitcom ever made.

If she decides to write a second series, I think that would be a mistake. Fans of the first series are currently numb with a mixture of shock and admiration. A second series consisting (as it must) of more of the same is therefore very unlikely to impress fans still reeling from the impact of the first.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 8th November 2018, 12:46 PM

The writing, the acting, the everything . . . wondrous to behold.

There's a BAFTA in this series, surely?

And it came to pass: "Sally4ever" won the BAFTA for scripted comedy!

I couldn't be happier. I love Derry Girls as much as anyone but the fact that Julia Davis was able to make such a breathtakingly shocking cringe comedy that was both addictive and repulsive and everything in between deserves all the plaudits.

I'm just re-watching the series via NowTV and yes, Emma's a total monster, but extremely entertaining. I agree that it wouldn't have run to a second series.