Pantomimes Page 2

Quote: Kenneth @ 24th November 2018, 12:09 AM

Is there a Greyfriars/Bunter panto?

There were several Billy Bunter shows at Christmas time in the West End back in the day although not actually pantomimes. In 1958 Gerald Campion reprised his tv role in "Billy Bunter's Mystery Christmas" at the Palace Theatre and the following year starred in "Billy Bunter Flies East" at the Victoria Theatre, matinees only, alternating with the Crazy Gang in "Clown Jewels" (also with Peter Glaze), both shows replaced from December 23rd by the pantomime "Humpty Dumpty" with Harry Secombe, Alfred Marks & Roy Castle.

Billy Bunter's Swiss Roll ran at the Victoria Theatre in December 1960 (with Keith Banks as Bunter) again performing matinees only and alternating with the Crazy Gang, this time in "Young At Heart". These shows were replaced by the pantomime, "Turn Again Whittington" with Norman Wisdom, from December 22.

"Billy Bunter Shipwrecked" and "Billy Bunter's Christmas Circus" also ran at the Victoria Theatre in 1961 & the Queens Theatre in 1962 respectively and the last show was "Billy Bunter meets Magic" at the Shaftesbury Theatre in which he shared top billing with David Nixon in 1963.

Then of course there was the tv series which featured Christmas episodes over the years such as "Bunter's Christmas Party" (1952) & Bunter's Christmas Box (1956) and the holiday annuals that came out each year. And the Christmas stories published in the seasonal issues of the "Magnet", some of which were later reproduced in book form, were always a favourite, where Bunter would invariably wangle an invitation for the hols, often featuring ghostly goings-on and always featuring plenty of snow.

Thank you for your detailed response, Bunter. I have only one or two of the Christmas books. I recall one of them was a bit weak. Would that I had sufficient leisure to re-read the Bunter canon.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 23rd November 2018, 2:50 PM

I'm not big on Panto's but I can see why they are popular and the craft is apparent. What I don't get is how they still run after xmas? Now I know they sell the tickets in advance , but who's planning in watching pantos on wet Monday in January? Or am I missing something? Is it the cheaper seats or a long held tradition people have?
I would love to know the answer to that in all seriousness as I have often wondered about it? . I mean I can see why the company do it as its revenue , but its the people? Is it mainly schools or something in January?

Could be wrong but AFAIK yes schools do Panto visits in Jan or used to but in the main kids still off school on Xmas hols with their parents. I doubt that a 12 day run would be viable financially.

I always loved a good pantomime. 'Ere up north (where it's grim) we don't get the big stars - we always get Billy Pearce and somebody. But this year it's Christopher Biggins. (in what is billed as his last ever pantomime)

I used to take my daughters until they were too old but now I get to take my grandchildren. Grandad's just doing his duty ^^

And as a boy until my teens, I joined an am dram group that put a pantomime on every year at the Town Hall.
I loved it, the rehearsals, the dress rehearsals and grease paint slapped on - then enter stage left to a thousand faces all looking up at you.

Here's a program from one from about 1965

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th November 2018, 1:45 PM

There were several Billy Bunter shows at Christmas time in the West End back in the day although not actually pantomimes. In 1958 Gerald Campion reprised his tv role in "Billy Bunter's Mystery Christmas" at the Palace Theatre and the following year starred in "Billy Bunter Flies East" at the Victoria Theatre, matinees only, alternating with the Crazy Gang in "Clown Jewels" (also with Peter Glaze), both shows replaced from December 23rd by the pantomime "Humpty Dumpty" with Harry Secombe, Alfred Marks & Roy Castle.

Billy Bunter's Swiss Roll ran at the Victoria Theatre in December 1960 (with Keith Banks as Bunter) again performing matinees only and alternating with the Crazy Gang, this time in "Young At Heart". These shows were replaced by the pantomime, "Turn Again Whittington" with Norman Wisdom, from December 22.

"Billy Bunter Shipwrecked" and "Billy Bunter's Christmas Circus" also ran at the Victoria Theatre in 1961 & the Queens Theatre in 1962 respectively and the last show was "Billy Bunter meets Magic" at the Shaftesbury Theatre in which he shared top billing with David Nixon in 1963.

Then of course there was the tv series which featured Christmas episodes over the years such as "Bunter's Christmas Party" (1952) & Bunter's Christmas Box (1956) and the holiday annuals that came out each year. And the Christmas stories published in the seasonal issues of the "Magnet", some of which were later reproduced in book form, were always a favourite, where Bunter would invariably wangle an invitation for the hols, often featuring ghostly goings-on and always featuring plenty of snow.

God, I wish I'd been around then! The number of amazing sounding West End productions I will never get to see...

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 23rd November 2018, 2:50 PM

I'm not big on pantos but I can see why they are popular and the craft is apparent. What I don't get is how they still run after Christmas? Now I know they sell the tickets in advance, but who's planning in watching pantos on a wet Monday in January? Or am I missing something? Is it the cheaper seats or a long held tradition people have?
I would love to know the answer to that in all seriousness as I have often wondered about it? I mean I can see why the company do it as it's revenue, but it's the people? Is it mainly schools or something in January?

They're fun - not overly Christmassy. But I prefer to see them in the run-up to Christmas myself.

I always go to my local theatre's production - even though the celebrities are somewhat rubbish these days. I'm hoping I might get to the Palladium too, having shamefully missed out on the past couple of years.

Thanks Arron I just equate them with Christmas so I have never seen the sense in going in January when Christmas is all over . Its only a personal thing as always but I have always wondered why people go to see them in the New Year.

And, of course, it is only in relatively recent years that the build-up to Christmas has got underway so early as it now does. Originally the modern patomime season, as we now know it, was timed to coincide with the school holidays (and the 12 days of Christmas, which continues to the 6 January). As can be seen from the dates that I give in my post about Billy Bunter shows above, they didn't start in the 50s & 60s until a couple of days before Christmas day so the majority of people would have gone after Christmas.

Excuse my ignorance Mr Bunter I didn't know that. like I said I don't dislike them I'm just not into them, As they say everything is subjective and if people come away happy regardless of the viewing date then that's all that counts.

Here's a favourable review of a current London Panto: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6444473/QUENTIN-LETTS-reviews-Dick-Whittington-Windsors-Theatre-Royal.html

Off to the London Palladium tomorrow for Jack & the Beanstalk. Julian Clary, Dawn French, Nigel Havers, Gary Wilmot, Paul Zerdin & Alexandra Burke.

A little late into its run I'll grant you but, what with train strikes and tooth extractions, I had to exchange my original tickets. And there wasn't much to choose from at that stage.

Quote: Firkin @ 29th November 2018, 10:44 PM

Here's a favourable review of a current London Panto: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6444473/QUENTIN-LETTS-reviews-Dick-Whittington-Windsors-Theatre-Royal.html

First time I've heard Windsor described as London!

One of the last I was able to get to though, and it was indeed fabulous.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th January 2023, 4:39 PM

And there wasn't much to choose from at that stage.

Oh yes there was!

I've somehow not made it to a Palladium panto yet. Gutted. This year I'd promised myself I would go alone if need be, but have ended up injured! Harrumph. Do let us know what you think.

It's London Palladium Panto time for me again tomorrow. Peter Pan. With Julian Clary, Jennifer Saunders and the usual crowd (Nigel Havers, Gary Wilmot, Paul Zerdin...)