Coupling Page 6

Quote: smc4761 @ 11th December 2017, 6:47 PM

I do not recall ever seeing this when it first started. I was flicking through Netflix recently and saw this and thought I would give it a go.

Most sitcoms of this century just leave me cold they are almost completely free laughter zones, IMHO, eg Detectorists, Citizen Khan etc. This however was totally different, it is very very funny and the writing is first class. Did not realise that it was first broadcast in 2000.

On IMDB many have compared it to Friends but dont let that put you off. The only real comparision is that there are 6 friends 3 guys/3 girls.

Anyone have any thoughts on Coupling?

Yes; love it! Very funny from start to end, even with a major cast change. An underrated sitcom gem in my opinion.

I watched this all for the first time earlier this year. Really enjoyed it. Surprised to see some criticism towards Jack Davenport, I thought he was great.

The English version of Friends - i.e. funny!

I love Steven Mofatt and his clever-clever plotting, but with Coupling I could never get away from the sense that the actors were speaking written lines, just one zinger after another. I appreciate a lot of sitcoms are like this, maybe it's the performances, because I never had that problem with Joking Apart, a show I enjoyed a lot more than Coupling. That said, the episode where half the episode is in a foreign language is so brazen and well written it would be difficult to discount. A good show but not one I revisit very often.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd November 2018, 12:16 AM

The English version of Friends - i.e. funny!

Coupling is the English version of Friends in much the same way as Donovan is the English version of Bob Dylan - i.e. pretty good in and of themselves but absolute poo when compared with their American counterparts.

That's not to say I don't like Coupling: I do but it's not, in my view, worthy of mention in the same breath as Friends.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd November 2018, 3:54 PM

Coupling is the English version of Friends in much the same way as Donovan is the English version of Bob Dylan - i.e. pretty good in and of themselves but absolute poo when compared with their American counterparts.

That's not to say I don't like Coupling: I do but it's not, in my view, worthy of mention in the same breath as Friends.

Well I can watch Coupling but I can't stand the whole feel of Friends.