Only Fools And Horses - the Grandad years Page 3

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th November 2014, 9:23 PM GMT

Are you drunk?

Anyway, thanks for posting the link. I never heard of that episode/clip before. Is this featured on the latest complete boxset?

No I don't think so. I am pretty sure none of the specials like comic relief and stuff like that are on DVD.

Quote: Gazzo @ 13th November 2014, 9:38 PM GMT

No I don't think so. I am pretty sure none of the specials like comic relief and stuff like that are on DVD.

That is a real shame. I wonder if this is just laziness or if there are license problems.
The Dad's Army boxset for instance has all kinds of sketches or special appearances involving DA characters.

Licenced To Drill is not an 'episode', but a short commercial/infomercial/training film.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th November 2014, 9:56 PM GMT

Licenced To Drill is not an 'episode', but a short commercial/infomercial/training film.

Still worth including it on a boxset.

Would likely be an awkward legal situation for the BBC, as it'd be effectively advertising. They almost certainly don't own the copyright either.

If you type in Only Fools and Horses hole in one on Google there are a few images with Grandad in the wheel chair instead of Albert
They filmed the episode with Grandad first. But he died the day after they filmed the episode with Grandad in
The only footage that remains in that episode is when Mike looks up at the trotters from the cellar. They refilmed everything but that bit. All of the original footage with Grandad is probably in some archive

Quote: Dave @ 7th July 2014, 8:41 PM

How old is Del supposed to be, anyway? In 'Tea for Three' in 1986, Rodney says he's nearly 46, but he may have been lying. David Jason was 40 when the show started (and, funnily enough, Nick Lyndhurst was 40 when it ended).

That'll definitily be a case of Rodney trying to deter Lisa from fancying Del. Del and Rodney were trying every trick in the book to mock one another in order to win over Lisa.

For the record, Del is 35 as mentioned in Big Brother.

Quote: Alexei Q @ 21st August 2014, 12:18 PM

For me the best series were with granddad the funny stuff often being the little things he did like watching three TVs at once. Uncle Albert was fine but a little bit of the magic was lost when granddad went. However, more magic was lost when the shows went for 50 mins and when Cassandra and Raquel joined. Romantically pairing up lead characters often fails esp when Rodders got married and left Nelson Mandela Towers

You see, I just find that utterly bizarre - re:magic lost when 50 min shows were aired.

Are you on the wind-up? The start of 50 minute shows evolved the show for the better in my opinion. The viewing figures don't lie.

The 50 minute+ episodes brought you the likes of Yuppy Love, Chain Gang and Danger UXD. Series 6 was immense. And as for Jolly Boy's Outing!!

Fair enough re: Cassandra and Raquel - not everyone's cup of tea however, to evolve a comedy and make it belieable, Sullivan didn't think 3 ageing brothers with a huge age gap would still be living alone together in the same flat, whilst trying to pull the birds. I for one am glad Cassandra and Raquel weren't made to play the funny lines. That would have been trying a bit too hard.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 21st November 2018, 9:23 PM

That'll definitily be a case of Rodney trying to deter Lisa from fancying Del. Del and Rodney were trying every trick in the book to mock one another in order to win over Lisa.

For the record, Del is 35 as mentioned in Big Brother.

David was 40? He was still doing Open All Hours when OFAH first started.

It's also mentioned Del is 35 in Go West Young Man

Quote: Gazzo @ 13th November 2014, 6:57 PM

Here is the last ever episode with Grandad in http://vimeo.com/89823200 You should watch it I like it. A shame he died though.I had a thought if he didn't die and he died in 1988 I wonder what would of happened then? Would Albert be in it or Would Buster Merryfield would be in it?

My argument is that Uncle Albert added such a huge dymanic to the show and helped it to evolve in to a masterpiece. (No he didn't, he thought it was a mantlepiece)

I don't believe the storylines Albert had would be written for Grandad - they're two different people and I don't think Pearce had the slapstick ability in acting, as he seemed like a fairly weak man physically.

Albert had such hilarious and lovable mannerisms. The head wobble and his big stupid grin. Marvelous.

Also, Merryfield had written to Sullivan to replace Grandad when Pearce died, so the two would never have met.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 21st November 2018, 9:34 PM

My argument is that Uncle Albert added such a huge dymanic to the show and helped it to evolve in to a masterpiece. (No he didn't, he thought it was a mantlepiece)

I don't believe the storylines Albert had would be written for Grandad - they're two different people and I don't think Pearce had the slapstick ability in acting, as he seemed like a fairly weak man physically.

Albert had such hilarious and lovable mannerisms. The head wobble and his big stupid grin. Marvelous.

Also, Merryfield had written to Sullivan to replace Grandad when Pearce died, so the two would never have met.

Grandad could never pull that Albert moment in Rodney Comes Homes. It's hard to imagine Grandad in the later shows. Albert was better than Grandad.

Quote: Wheel @ 21st November 2018, 9:39 PM

Grandad could never pull that Albert moment in Rodney Comes Homes. It's hard to imagine Grandad in the later shows. Albert was better than Grandad.

Choosing between Grandad and Albert is like choosing which Grandad you prefer either side of your family! It is truly difficult.

But I've always found Albert funnier and more dynamic than Grandad.

There is no doubt that Grandad had some absolute worldie one-liners and delivered them exceptionally. But it was bitter sweet when the show had to move on because this brought about improving the show even more so.

If Merryfield had been alive for the 01/02/03 specials, they'd have been significally funnier - and you can add Kenneth Macdonald into the mix.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 21st November 2018, 9:44 PM

Choosing between Grandad and Albert is like choosing which Grandad you prefer either side of your family! It is truly difficult.

But I've always found Albert funnier and more dynamic than Grandad.

There is no doubt that Grandad had some absolute worldie one-liners and delivered them exceptionally. But it was bitter sweet when the show had to move on because this brought about improving the show even more so.

If Merryfield had been alive for the 01/02/03 specials, they'd have been significally funnier - and you can add Kenneth Macdonald into the mix.

I would have found it hard to imagine Grandad in the later episodes with Damien and Raquel ect. He was better suited just with Del and Rodney.

Also if Buster had survived then the ending of the last special would have had to been something different

Some of you might be interested but. But I found bits of some grandad/Lennard Pearce scenes. regarding the Hole in One episode, he died at the time of shooting this episode. Aaron might be interested and a few others.

https://www.ofah.net/blog/grandad-in-hole-in-one/

Bits of the original script with Grandad in

https://www.ofah.net/blog/only-fools-and-horses-cuts-%E2%80%93-bonus/ Some photos

https://www.ofah.net/blog/hole-one-grandad/ Some photos of the last location shoot with Grandad. Looks like they are filming the bit where they go past the cellar and Mike is down there.