The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 19

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th October 2018, 11:02 AM

Ray Galton *gulp*

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"

I've never heard or read a line of dialogue funnier than that - ever!

There's so many, and this is one that never fails with me from one of my top ten of HHH.

"Almost a Gentleman"

Hancock must prove he can mix with high society, so Sid gets him an "invite" to a posh do. Hostess (played by Hattie Jacques) is in idle chit-chat with Tony.............
(This is not verbatim by the way) :-

Hattie (posh voice) "Oh look, the dancing has started........(to Hancock) Can you do Sir Roger de Coverley?

Tony (still trying to make an impression) "Why, has he upset you? I'll have him outside!"

Let's hope they are together again

RIP

I am pleased to own this framed poster, signed by both of them.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 8th October 2018, 12:26 AM

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"

I've never heard or read a line of dialogue funnier than that - ever!

It's definitely one of the greatest bon mots in sitcom. Doubtful we'll see their like again, even if such writers exist. The Beeb just aren't interested in finding them anymore. :(

Goodbye Dave. I've finally been disconnec............................................................................................................

Douglas Rain RIP

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th November 2018, 2:38 PM

Goodbye Dave. I've finally been disconnec............................................................................................................

Douglas Rain RIP

Had to Google that.
Yes RIP.

Stan Lee. RIP.

He did change the Worlds.

Babs Beverley, aged 91, leaving just Teddie remaining. The Spice Girls of their day.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th November 2018, 8:34 AM

Babs Beverley, aged 91, leaving just Teddie remaining. The Spice Girls of their day.

Far more sophisticated than that! ;)

And they were twins of course. Yes, RIP Babs and many condolences to Teddy - she must be feeling distraught right now having also lost the third sister Joy three years ago.

Referring to the Beverley sisters, the BBC News website says "The group were one of the most popular acts of the 1950s and '60s" which was a pretty good trick when you consider that, as that same website reports only two sentences later, "The group effectively retired after Joy married Billy Wright, then captain of the England football team, in 1958".

In any event, they were a huge name in British showbiz and a pretty decent turn to boot.

Bye Bye Babs and RIP.

Condolences to Teddie, of course.

RIP Pete Shelley of Buzzcocks fame.

Never mind.

Paddy Ashdown. Not an entertainer but a good man, nevertheless.
Where's the Grim Reaper when arseholes like Mogg, Johnson, Farage and Davis are allowed to roam free?

When they have aged, he will eventually come. Guaranteed.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 22nd December 2018, 8:44 PM

When they have aged, he will eventually come. Guaranteed.

Not soon enough! :(:(:(:(

Quote: Briosaid @ 22nd December 2018, 8:36 PM

Paddy Ashdown. Not an entertainer but a good man, nevertheless.
Where's the Grim Reaper when arseholes like Mogg, Johnson, Farage and Davis are allowed to roam free?

I don't know, he entertained a few women evidently. Good man but a highly trained Special Forces killer, as was his good friend David Davis. Both considered very amiable and friendly people and it came across on camera. Mogg couldn't hurt a fly but just happens to have a political conviction some don't like.