Dad's Army - The Lost Episodes

Ok, let's get this thread started. Here's the story behind it https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5048/dads_army_episodes_recreated/

My polite requests:

1. Please, Please, please do not have anyone from the remake film any where near this
2. Please audition for character actors who can play the original actors, playing the characters - as in 'We're Doomed - The Dads Army Story.
3. Please do not decide the cast is not diverse enough and think it ok to diversify any of the characters.

Finally, please make it good. I can't take another disappointment like the remade AYBS.

Press release for new DA remakes *Black female actor in wheelchair to play Mainwaring".

David Jason in line to play Captain Mainwaring, Hugh Laurie Sgt Wilson & Danny Dyer Walker:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6233657/Dads-Army-set-make-comeback-50-years.html

:$

Jesus, I hope it's not any of them. David Jason is too old for s start. I would rather they used amateurs. I've been to a couple of local productions of a stage show where they did 3 episodes. They were better cast than the names bandied about by the mail.

The lack of imagination is beyond breathtaking.

I would rather they animated it and got impressionists to do the voices.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 3rd October 2018, 11:22 AM

David Jason in line to play Captain Mainwaring, Hugh Laurie Sgt Wilson & Danny Dyer Walker:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6233657/Dads-Army-set-make-comeback-50-years.html

:$

I kept reading that as John Laurie so I got a bit confused.

Quote: Will Cam @ 3rd October 2018, 12:51 PM

I would rather they animated it and got impressionists to do the voices.

That's what I would have suggested.

Quote: Will Cam @ 30th September 2018, 10:48 PM

Ok, let's get this thread started. Here's the story behind it https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5048/dads_army_episodes_recreated/

My polite requests:

1. Please, Please, please do not have anyone from the remake film any where near this
2. Please audition for character actors who can play the original actors, playing the characters - as in 'We're Doomed - The Dads Army Story.
3. Please do not decide the cast is not diverse enough and think it ok to diversify any of the characters.

Finally, please make it good. I can't take another disappointment like the remade AYBS.

Number 3 is by far the most important. Has to be one of the biggest pet hates.

According to today's Mail, it's going to be Kevin McNally (Pirates of the Caribbean) to play Captain Mainwaring, Robert Bathurst (Cold Feet, Downton Abbey) as Sgt Wilson (he played John Le Mesurier in "Hattie") and Bernard Cribbins as Jones.

Cribbins as Godfrey, no?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th November 2018, 11:05 PM

According to today's Mail, it's going to be Kevin McNally (Pirates of the Caribbean) to play Captain Mainwaring,

Very surprised you hadn't mention instead the superb job he did of The Lad Himself in the superb Missing Hancocks.

Having said that I think Arthur Lowe is irreplaceable and I will only be watching as a matter of curiosity. I suppose after the success of the HHH revivals it was inevitable, but I'd rather they hadn't bothered.

Sorry, you're right. Bernard Cribbins as Godfrey; not Jones. It was late when I read it. As soon as I read the name, Bernard Cribbins, I automatically saw him as Jones rather than Godfrey.

I didn't mention Kevin McNally's role as Hancock because, although I did watch that, I didn't recognise the name and so didn't realise it was the same person. I merely quoted how the Mail described him.

The 3 episodes will be filmed early in the new year by UKTV for the Gold satellite channel.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th November 2018, 8:25 AM

I didn't mention Kevin McNally's role as Hancock because, although I did watch that, I didn't recognise the name :O and so didn't realise it was the same person. I merely quoted how the Mail described him.

The 3 episodes will be filmed early in the new year by UKTV for the Gold satellite channel.

Well that's what you get for reading the Mail ;)

And on Gold you say? That's good 'cos I can't get that, so will save me from watching it.

According to the Metro today, the cast has now been fully assembled ready for filming and transmission by Gold later in the year:

Tom Rosenthal - Private Pike
Kevin Eldon - Jones
Robin Bathurst - Sgt Wilson
Bernard Cribbins - Godfrey
Matthew Horne - Walker
Kevin McNally - Capt Mainwaring

It's got promise. Not sure about Mathew Horne, Kevin Bishop did a great Walker in the Perry/Croft Dad's Army biopic.