Laurel and Hardy Page 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtGn-JRdXVM

Looking V Good as far as I'm concerned and can't wait to see it!

If it's even half as good as it looks, it'll be great!

It's only in very recent years that I've come to realise that not everybody I meet in the normal course of everyday life has heard of Laurel and Hardy.

Indeed, it was only the other week that I was chatting with a friend of mine and his three twenty-something university-educated daughters and it came to light that not one of those girls had ever heard of Ken Dodd!

It seems we don't live in the world we think we live in.

I know this is off-topic but watch any TV quiz show these days and you'll see how badly educated they are these days.

Quote: Chappers @ 7th November 2018, 5:45 PM

I know this is off-topic but watch any TV quiz show these days and you'll see how badly educated they are these days.

The Chase my wife was watching tea-time today:-

Young (compared to me!) seemingly well educated chap - "Pine Marten" is it a Bird, a Mammal or a Fish. He said Bird. >_<

Quote: Chappers @ 7th November 2018, 5:45 PM

I think I can steer your post back on topic by saying that I watched a quiz show recently in which an apparently normal young woman was unable to give the forenames of The Beatles.

If there are adults who cannot name The Beatles, or remember Ken Dodd at all, it seems certain that millions of people walking the streets of Britain today have absolutely no idea who Laurel and Hardy were.

My favourite remains on Pointless, when they had a round on Famous Williams. One of the questions was "playwright who wrote Hamlet". The contestant didn't know the answer but, after some thought, decided to "plump" for William Tell.

There was one on tipping point this week that was asked in which Italian city was 'something or other' I forget.
But her answer was 'I don't know any Italian cities.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th November 2018, 8:48 AM

There was one on tipping point this week that was asked in which Italian city was 'something or other' I forget.
But her answer was 'I don't know any Italian cities.

I think was actually last night's prog. and oddly enough, given last night's football result, it was what Italian city does Juventus F.C. hail from.

I blurted out Milan. :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th November 2018, 9:25 AM

I think was actually last night's prog. and oddly enough, given last night's football result, it was what Italian city does Juventus F.C. hail from.

I blurted out Milan. :(

:)

I'll have to find my dvds and watch some this xmas as it's been a while. I just you tubed a couple and saw one I couldn't recall even watching but reminded me how funny the ones with their wives in can be. They're both always terrified of their wives who although pretty are dragon like bullies. Hardy in particular is hilariously servile to his bethrothed. The wives' insults are almost as good as the slapstick in these ones and Mrs Hardy came out with a belter 'Just because you have a mind of a four old you don't have to keep displaying it.' Laughing out loud

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st October 2015, 9:48 AM

"County Hospital" mentioned in the article there is one of my favourites - "hard boiled eggs and nuts" Laughing out loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oyt1fdU1k8

One of the classic pure slapstick shorts, no story, just straight in mayhem caused by Laurel made worse by Hardy. The sequence in which they get the doctor hanging out of the tenth floor window by the cord is a dream. If only that would happen in real life I'd be braking my legs just to get into hospital. Doctor, step this way please. Wooops, bye.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 13th November 2018, 7:29 AM

One of the classic pure slapstick shorts, no story, just straight in mayhem caused by Laurel made worse by Hardy. The sequence in which they get the doctor hanging out of the tenth floor window by the cord is a dream. If only that would happen in real life I'd be braking my legs just to get into hospital. Doctor, step this way please. Wooops, bye.

Just watched the YT link I posted and made the mistake of taking a drink from my coffee just at the bit when the cord breaks nearly choking myself. The doctor's face peeking over the windowsill, the mayhem that ensues! PRICELESS!

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Is anyone else looking forward to the Stan and Ollie biopic with Steve Coogan and John C Reilly? The trailer looked promising and it's been getting good reviews.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 13th November 2018, 10:55 AM

Is anyone else looking forward to the Stan and Ollie biopic with Steve Coogan and John C Reilly? The trailer looked promising and it's been getting good reviews.

Whistling nnocently

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th November 2018, 9:25 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtGn-JRdXVM

Looking V Good as far as I'm concerned and can't wait to see it!

Virgin Media doing one of their pathetic "tempting you to take a bigger package by offering a couple of free weeks that are not in you package in the forlorn hope you will spend more money with them" and I say eff off.

However, I have Talking Pictures for a while and am enjoying the L&H films, even though I have them all on DVD.

"Laughing Gravy" - excellent!! And last night the superb "Music Box" so, so, so, so funny. Those two are comedy gold, and I'd forgotten how funny the enraged husband Professor von Schwarzenhoffen played by a Billy Gilbert was, both when he meets them on the stairway and in his house - his fury is so comical.

And no one does physical hurt like Ollie does - you really feel his pain.

"Busy Bodies" this week in TPTV and one their funniest, set in a saw mill. The routine of Stan punching the other worker AND Ollie is SO funny. Laughing out loud