Only Connect Page 43

Quote: Kenneth @ 5th November 2018, 5:34 AM

My question on the "Australians" born outside Australia won't bear scrutiny, as Mel Gibson is actually just an Australian permanent resident and not an Australian citizen. As for Olivia Newton John, probably Australian and definitely British.

So what is it......................I can't stand the tension. :(

Just famous Australians born outside Australia. Better to replace Mel Gibson with Angus Young (of the band AC/DC).

Quote: Rood Eye @ 6th November 2018, 8:52 AM

As far as religiosity is concerned, I am devoid of information concerning the above gentlemen.

I thought it was one of your questions, have I missed something ? OK I googled Poe and he was an atheist, I know two of the others are, and I'm guessing Jesse James was not God fearing either.

Nothing much to do with religion apart from belonging to the church of marry-your-cousin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5Y-9mQD_w

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th November 2018, 3:04 PM

STRUTH! They all get mistaken for being Australian.

Quote: Kenneth @ 5th November 2018, 5:34 AM

My question on the "Australians" born outside Australia won't bear scrutiny, as Mel Gibson is actually just an Australian permanent resident and not an Australian citizen. As for Olivia Newton John, probably Australian and definitely British.

Quote: Kenneth @ 6th November 2018, 9:54 AM

Just famous Australians born outside Australia. Better to replace Mel Gibson with Angus Young (of the band AC/DC).

How disappointing AND contradictory................... And isn't that virtually what I said at the weekend?

Calm yourself down, Doctor Not-the-Nine-O'Clock-News; we are men of science.

Edgar Allan Poe

HG Wells

Albert Einstein

Jesse James

Quote: Kenneth @ 6th November 2018, 11:16 AM

Nothing much to do with religion apart from belonging to the church of marry-your-cousin.

Kenneth has hit the nail on the head!

Each of the above married a first cousin.

I watched yesterday's episode hoping to see some real cartoonists in the Cartoonists team, but was sadly disappointed.
Why does Victoria have to add a scrap of boring information about each person? "Geoff was once spat at by a camel" - all it does is make them seem even duller.
I used to share a page on the Observer with her, I had a cartoon strip under her column. I chatted to her once at a party and David Mitchell was glaring at me the whole time. Hope that snippet makes me even more boring, too.

Edgar Allan Poe

HG Wells

Albert Einstein

Jesse James

Quote: Firkin @ 6th November 2018, 9:56 AM

I googled Poe and he was an atheist, I know two of the others are, and I'm guessing Jesse James was not God fearing either.

Contrary to Firkin's suggestion, the connection is not atheism.

Jesse James was a member in good standing at the 1st Baptist Church of Kearney, Missouri when he led a daylight bank robbery in Liberty, Missouri, a town about ten miles away. The church minutes record that deliberations to discipline Jesse were complicated by concerns that he might burn down the church building.

Quote: beaky @ 6th November 2018, 12:19 PM

Why does Victoria have to add a scrap of boring information about each person? "Geoff was once spat at by a camel" - all it does is make them seem even more boring.

The good thing that "boring info" (quirky story) about each contestant is that it's just for a couple of seconds, rather than some tedious horse dung stretched out for 1 minute per punter ala Pointless.

Quote: beaky @ 6th November 2018, 12:19 PM

Why does Victoria have to add a scrap of boring information about each person? "Geoff was once spat at by a camel" - all it does is make them seem even more boring.

I never watch Only Connect at the time of transmission. I always record it and for as long as I can remember, I have fast-forwarded through the introductions and begun watching from the moment the first clue appears.

The OC intros are so mercifully brief there's not enough time to make a coffee or clean the birdcage, whereas with Pointless, you can ride a one-legged camel to Ashkelon and back and still be in time for Round 1.

Sequences Round: You'll be seeing three picture clues. What would you expect to see fourth in this sequence?

I'm not expecting to see anything. I'm quite happy with three pictures.

Quote: Kenneth @ 6th November 2018, 12:36 PM

Sequences Round: You'll be seeing three picture clues. What would you expect to see fourth in this sequence?

A picture of (e.g. Chopin) ?

Why Chopin? If you're on a timber theme, you're barking up the wrong tree.