Only Connect Page 41

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 5:20 PM

A bit wordy for the wall and, also, I personally doubt very much that it belongs in the group.

It's a picture Rolling eyes
But it's way too easy for a four on OC. Herc you can cancel the cheque for that one.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 6:59 PM

I think you might very well be right about the "King" connection but I think there's a problem with "potato" inasmuch that, in order to keep the connection going, it would have to make sense when preceded by "King", and it doesn't. To go from "potato" to "King Edward" is a double leap.

Okay then - A picture of a large sized potato with a pale yellowy brown skin easily recognisable as a King Edward

If I'd actually said a King Edward potato I fear I might've given it awayHuh?

Well done Firkin

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th November 2018, 7:31 PM

Okay then - A picture of a large sized potato with a pale yellowy brown skin easily recognisable as a King Edward

That doesn't work because "King" is already included in the name of the thing depicted.

It would work only if there were such a thing as a King King Edward.

Yes but it is in two of the others as well. A picture of a King Cobra snake is a King Cobra snake. A picture of a King Prawn is a King Prawn.

Herc that's another one you can cancel. Angry

What's the connection between these 4 clues?

Truman, Harry (US president)

Grant, Ulysses (US president)

Selznick, David (film producer)

Rowling, Joanne (author)

S?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th November 2018, 8:58 PM

S?

S(orry), that's not right.

Different Initial letter for middle name?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th November 2018, 9:05 PM

'Fraid not.

Haven't seen so many posts on one thread in a single day since the referendum!

Quote: Firkin @ 4th November 2018, 6:04 PM

Is Kenneth's Question , they were all Australian Nationals born outside Australia, wot like Rood said ?

Herc, so there can only be one connection? The guys below all broken the record for most expensive painting (and they're painters, and they're men ). Would that be 3 connections ? Kenneth makes a good case for a forth.

OK yes, that's fine BUT it would not be accepted for OC as it is "dated", that is by the time the programme goes out some other painting would break that record and the connection not work. It's like if you say did a Sequence on the Queen's great grandchildren, the odds are there would be another one in a year's time and again the sequence or connection would not work.

Yes, definitely only one connection and as I said before, just them being all painters and/or all men is not enough. There also needs to be a red herring of sorts or it needs to be far more complicated.

My question on the "Australians" born outside Australia won't bear scrutiny, as Mel Gibson is actually just an Australian permanent resident and not an Australian citizen. As for Olivia Newton John, probably Australian and definitely British.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 8:44 PM

Rowling, Joanne (author)

Is it linked to speaking out against anti-Semitism as J K did recently ?
Or J K upset people with her equestrian centre and Truman loved horses. So they all love horses ?
Or they are all incredibly attractive millionairs authors, except the men ?

Quote: Firkin @ 5th November 2018, 12:42 PM

Is it linked to speaking out against anti-Semitism as J K did recently ?
Or J K upset people with her equestrian centre and Truman loved horses. So they all love horses ?
Or they are all incredibly attractive millionairs authors, except the men ?

Unfortunately, it's none of the above.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 8:44 PM

Rowling, Joanne (author)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th November 2018, 9:05 PM

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 9:10 PM

'Fraid not.

Alf touched on it and in one sense he is right because they all are known with a middle initial.
NOW, if he's not right (in your eyes) then we have one of these that I have mentioned previous breaks the OC rules, that is, Alf is correct but you have a different agenda and as we are in the Only Connect thread we should stick by them? Yes/No? Wave

PS Alf, thanks for the PM and will get back to you as soon as I can - the next 48 hours are going to be V Busy for me!!

Presumably because they're all known by an initial for their second name? Or is that too obvious?