Only Connect Page 40

I'm new to this, but what do these four have in common (apart from being painters):

Gustav Klimt
Paul Cezanne
Willem de Kooning
Jackson Pollock

What do the following 4 clues have in common?

Jesse James

Buster Keaton

Daryl Hannah

Frodo Baggins

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th November 2018, 10:26 AM

This is a sequence one Herc if you think it's any good:
Stephen Charles Richard ...
I'll let you guess the last link and the reason for it.
It's a medium easy one I reckon.

I'm just brushing up a wall or two and post them later.

Some of the show's walls have been too hard imo, you have to give viewers a chance too or they'll lose interest and watch EastEnders. I also think the missing vowels round is too long so have a word with them will you, ta.

Oh.........well of course, none of them are meant to be easy, but oddly enough I have found the Walls easier in this new series and think the Missing Vowels is over too quickly. :D Each to his own,

Look forward to seeing your efforts Alf, so thank you in advance and will look at you sequence when I get mo - Sunday's always busy, busy for me. Cool

Quote: Firkin @ 4th November 2018, 10:06 AM

I'm new to this, but what do these four have in common (apart from being painters):

Gustav Klimt
Paul Cezanne
Willem de Kooning
Jackson Pollock

Your comment in brackets sums this up. Nothing wrong with it per se, but it would not be accepted as someone would say, after the last one "painters", which is true.............end of question.
What you would need is say the third one or even better the fourth one to be clearly not a painter but has a connection to the previous three.

Herc, did you ever get the electrical one accepted?

Olivia Newton-John
Nicole Kidman
Russell Crowe
Mel Gibson

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 4th November 2018, 1:51 PM

Herc, did you ever get the electrical one accepted?

Good God, I'd forgotten about that one and by some miracle I just found it in the ones I pitched last year and there it was in the Excel spreadsheet, so YES! :D It was accepted and should appear in the current (Laughing out loud Yes/No? Please yerself) series, and made it through as a Picture Round Two Sequence. You know what it is but I had better not expand on what it was for fear of spoiling it for someone reading this thread.

Your guess is as good as mine as to when it will appear. They don't tell us that.

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th November 2018, 2:51 PM

Olivia Newton-John
Nicole Kidman
Russell Crowe
Mel Gibson

STRUTH! They all get mistaken for being Australian.

Quote: Firkin @ 4th November 2018, 10:06 AM

Gustav Klimt
Paul Cezanne
Willem de Kooning
Jackson Pollock

None of them could paint a decent picture to save their lives and were known as the Post-Bollockists.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 10:09 AM

What do the following 4 clues have in common?

Jesse James

Buster Keaton

Daryl Hannah

Frodo Baggins

A corker, but way too hard, even for the OC mob. Jeremy Beadle and Radar from MASH? Or Luke Skywalker and the painter in Escape From Alcatraz.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th November 2018, 3:04 PM

They all get mistaken for being Australian.

It all depends how we define nationality. Ian Hislop, for example, fervently denies being Welsh even though he was born in Swansea. His father was Scottish and his mother from Jersey and he left Wales when he was 5 months old. Does that make him Welsh? Paul Merton says it does but Ian says most emphatically that it doesn't.

Nicole Kidman is a similar case, being born in Hawaii to Australian parents who were in the USA on student visas. She has dual American/Australian nationality but she identifies entirely as an Australian.

It's a decent question though, and decent answer.

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th November 2018, 3:31 PM

A corker, but way too hard, even for the OC mob. Jeremy Beadle and Radar from MASH? Or Luke Skywalker and the painter in Escape From Alcatraz.

I've got to hand it to you, Kenneth. You've put your finger right on it! :D

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 3:45 PM

It's a decent question though, and decent answer.

Right? I was only joking.
Rolling eyes

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 3:45 PM

I've got to hand it to you, Kenneth. You've put your finger right on it! :D

Are you two playing silly buggers again?
Unimpressed

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th November 2018, 4:51 PM

Right? I was only joking.
Rolling eyes

I wondered whether or not you were joking when I first saw your answer but, after a moment's thought, I decided your answer was very probably the one Kenneth is looking for.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th November 2018, 4:51 PM

Are you two playing silly buggers again?
Unimpressed

No, not this time. Kenneth was indicating that he'd spotted a link without actually saying what it was, and I responded with similar consideration for anybody who might still be trying to work it out for himself.

Half Nelson wrestling move

Seems a bit too precise for the wall?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th November 2018, 4:53 PM

A Half Nelson wrestling move

A bit wordy for the wall and, also, I personally doubt very much that it belongs in the group.

I demand the answers to these conundrums forthwith!

Is Kenneth's Question , they were all Australian Nationals born outside Australia, wot like Rood said ?

Herc, so there can only be one connection? The guys below all broken the record for most expensive painting (and they're painters, and they're men ). Would that be 3 connections ? Kenneth makes a good case for a forth.

Gustav Klimt
Paul Cezanne
Willem de Kooning
Jackson Pollock

Is this correct ?

Tiger - King Tiger
Cobra - King Cobra
Prawn- King Prawn
Potato - King Edwards

Quote: Firkin @ 4th November 2018, 6:04 PM

Is Kenneth's Question , they were all Australian Nationals born outside Australia, wot like Rood said ?

They're not all Australian nationals, but they all have a strong connection with Australia and, as Herc joked, they are all widely believed to be Australians. If that is indeed the intended answer, the problem is that Nicole Kidman is arguably Australian, even though she was born in the USA. I'll tell you one thing: I wouldn't like to be standing anywhere near Kenneth when he tells her to her face she's not Australian. :D

Herc, so there can only be one connection? The guys below all broken the record for most expensive painting (and they're painters, and they're men ). Would that be 3 connections ? Kenneth makes a good case for a forth.

Gustav Klimt
Paul Cezanne
Willem de Kooning
Jackson Pollock

Herc knows a lot more about Only Connect than I do but I don't think Victoria would accept a connection that was relatively obvious. I think your suggestion that they all broke the record for the world's most expensive painting is probably correct.

Is this correct ?

Tiger - King Tiger
Cobra - King Cobra
Prawn- King Prawn
Potato - King Edwards

I think you might very well be right about the "King" connection but I think there's a problem with "potato" inasmuch that, in order to keep the connection going, it would have to make sense when preceded by "King", and it doesn't. To go from "potato" to "King Edward" is a double leap.

Personally, I'm waiting to find out the 4th in the sequence: Stephen - Charles - Richard