Inside No 9 - Dead Line

That was not a television episode, that was a full on experience. Ye gods. Only just got home in time and I'm so glad I saw it live for the full effect. We completely fell for it (gullible as I am), and only found out it was wrong after my friend started screaming at the television. Spent the rest of the time behind a cushion and both adored and loathed every minute. I love that everyone who watched it will have had a different reaction to the continuity announcement and so everyone would have had a different experience. Wonderfully crafted.

Doh, forgot it was on!

Nooooo! It's still an amazing watch, to iPlayer with you.

It shall be done forthwith.

If anyone hasn't seen this episode yet, my sincere advice is "Don't bother".

I doubt there's a BCG member, past or present, who couldn't have come up with a better 30-minute script.

I'm a fan of "Number 9" but this was a seriously below-par effort.

I think the beauty of it was seeing it live and in the moment and not expecting the twists. That lack of expectation wouldn't apply now when watching it on catch-up because you know it's how it's meant to be. With there being such a focus on catch-up and online content it was a great treat to have an investment in live TV and see it used as a tool to craft the narrative. That and all the threads they've dropped in throughout the week which tied it together with the fake news article and interview. Fair dos if it wasn't your thing, but it was very much mine :P

Are you saying David Smith could have written a better script, Rood? Many forum users don't even think of themselves as writers.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 29th October 2018, 4:54 PM

Are you saying David Smith could have written a better script, Rood? Many forum users don't even think themselves as writers.

I was exaggerating for effect.

In fairness to the boys at Number 9, I hereby concede that there have probably been several BCG members who could not, in fact, have come up with a better script.

Reminds me of the first time I listened to Revolution 9 - lots of effort to produce for no discernible entertainment.

I thought Stephanie Cole's Irish accent was the best thing in it.

I felt it was neither the funniest nor the scariest, but it was the cleverest episode they've yet done.

Absolutely a TV experience.

Yes very clever. I did love the predictable Irish woman ringing her friend back.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th October 2018, 9:58 PM

the predictable Irish woman ringing her friend back.

Now, now, Chappers - this is not the 1970s!

I was taken completely by surprise when the Irish woman, whom I had assumed was a paragon of logical thinking, attempted to contact her friend by dialling the number of the lost phone.

I genuinely thought it was Reece doing a voice when she first spoke.

I'm writing this slowly as I know Chappers can't read very fast....

I enjoyed it, though didn't find it scary, more enjoyed the references to Twitter and the flashes of old programmes, very well put together as usual, I will have another watch as there was so much in it to saviour.