Only Connect Page 36

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st October 2018, 12:31 PM

Oh I can't be bothered with anything complicated like that, referencing was the bain of my studenting days. Write write write is all I want to do, freedom baby. Reading's a chore. And I made about five walls so that's stuffed it. But they are easily converted into those sequences of four so maybe I'll let you have 'em as you're already on the payroll.

Dunno about payroll, that's summat else I was going to mentch but forgot........................ Teary

Yes, by all means post them here or PM me with them Alf, as they would be most appreciated and IF in a couple of years they get used I will certainly let you know...................as long as they are not filthy Angelic like Kenneth's wall. (Anal sex indeed, as if)

It seems incredible that neither team got the "V" connection as I got it as soon as I saw the second one (Centre of gravity) and finished up shouting at the TV, and then one team ummed and arred for ages (it seemed) over fictional spaceships/keepers, only also not know at the death that it was keepers! Words fail............as they did. >_<

The board game one was one of mine by the way - didn't twig it right away as they had changed the photos (why!?) and there was some doubt whether they could use the photo of Ludo as it would be either too expensive or even not allowed.

Nevertheless, the team that missed "keepers" got an impressive 31.

They'll certainly take some beating.
I'd have a few quid on them ending up champs.

The "V" question and the "board games" question are, I feel, the sort of puzzles that viewers want to see on Only Connect.

The sort of puzzles that viewers don't, in my view, want to see are puzzles that require knowledge that even the most knowledgeable people in Britain (excluding perhaps quiz freaks) are unlikely to possess and even less likely to give a damn about.

Populations of cities in New Zealand? I couldn't give a flying flip and neither could any other normal person who lives any distance from the South Pole.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd October 2018, 11:36 AM

.................and the "board games" question are, I feel, the sort of puzzles that viewers want to see on Only Connect.

I have a fan :D ............thank you, and couldn't agree more with you re the style of the connections, but I'm sorry to say that some of the setters are up their own arses and think it is not only VERY clever (as they also consider themselves) ; but what the public want when they post/pitch obscure connections, and look down on oiks like me who submit connections that are fun and not too arcane.

I don't know if Vicky was joking when she said that NZ question was sent in from someone in Australia, but as you say "who gives a flyin' ****"

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd October 2018, 11:36 AM

Populations of cities in New Zealand?

Easy question, albeit boringly so. It was about NZ's largest cities by population (knowledge of precise population numbers was not required). The show sometimes has such geography questions unrelated to the UK.

Thank you Hercules, I got the board game one :) Also the wicket/park on the wall. Two right in a show is some sort of record for me ;)

I hate it when no one gets the answer and when they show it you're non the wiser, it makes me feel dim, when I'm only borderline dim. And as for the classical music that's constantly on University Challenge, whats that about?

Quote: fasty @ 23rd October 2018, 12:50 PM

Thank you Hercules, I got the board game one :)

Another fan. :D Thank you fasty, and I love your Flag Hippo. Laughing out loud

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 24th October 2018, 7:53 PM

I hate it when no one gets the answer and when they show it you're non the wiser, it makes me feel dim, when I'm only borderline dim.

You are not alone............you are amongst friends. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd October 2018, 12:06 PM

I'm sorry to say that some of the setters are up their own arses and think it is not only VERY clever (as they also consider themselves) ; but what the public want when they post/pitch obscure connections, and look down on oiks like me who submit connections that are fun and not too arcane.

I'm very impressed, Herc!

The thing I don't like about Only Connect is its inherent bias towards posh contestants (by which I mean any contestant whose knowledge of classical music extends beyond an ability to recognise the first four notes of Beethoven's fifth).

I would much prefer it if all the questions were answerable by highly intelligent people of average socio-economic and educational background.

Given the BBC's ongoing obsession with giving a televisual chance to actors and performers from historically oppressed minorities, I would have thought they'd want to extend a similar opportunity to contestants and viewers whose primary and secondary education has been paid for by the public purse.

I don't think they're particularly posh - most of them middle class, I suppose...

Quote: beaky @ 25th October 2018, 8:28 PM

I don't think they're particularly posh - most of them middle class, I suppose...

I think most of the contestants are middle-class rather than posh.

My complaint is that only posh people can tell one piece of classical music from another and that, accordingly, classical music questions are heavily biased towards posh contestants.

I base that assertion on my lifetime's experience - although it may well be that I've been associating with the wrong type of people.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th October 2018, 9:32 PM

I think most of the contestants are middle-class rather than posh.

My complaint is that only posh people can tell one piece of classical music from another and that, accordingly, classical music questions are heavily biased towards posh contestants.

I base that assertion on my lifetime's experience - although it may well be that I've been associating with the wrong type of people.

I completely disagree! Why on earth should classical music be considered "posh"? Music is universal, anyone can enjoy it, it's available for everyone to listen to and enjoy and enrich their lives. This sort of comment saddens me.