Game On Page 6

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 12th May 2008, 1:17 AM

Noticed there wasnt a thread for this, so thought Id start one because I just picked up the first series DVD for cheap. I loved this when it was on, though I know it was generally savaged by the critics. I find it really funny and warm, even the theme tunes great. Probably one of those shows youre biased about because you loved it when you were a kid, but I do think its a small, overlooked gem. Though Ben Chaplin should never have been allowed to leave; Neil Stuke was good, but not a patch on the original.

Any other fans out there?

I've just been rewatching this lately and I still find it funny.

I cannot fathom the opinions on here that original Matt was funnier? Am I watching the same comedy? It was general consensus amongst everyone I knew that replacement Matt was considerably funnier. He just was.

You're all crazy.

The only thing I remember about Samantha Janus is that, at some point, she changed the pronunciation of her surname from "Jaynus" to "Jannus".

Samantha J was incredibly sexy when she was in her early 20s.
She's not anywhere near sexy now.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 11th October 2018, 11:03 PM

Samantha J was incredibly sexy when she was in her early 20s.
She's not anywhere near sexy now.

That selfish bitch.

Quote: zooo @ 11th October 2018, 11:40 PM

That selfish bitch.

She was a 9.5 in the 90s and I will backtrack here, she is still sexy.

I'll tell you who the real bitch was - Claire. F**king hell was she a selfish cow.

-Took Martin's virginity so she could lose her own.

-Dumps him for no apparent reason during the peak of their relationship and very insensitively.

-Gives birth to his child and hides her from him for the first year or so

-Lies to his face and keeps it from him that she is his daughter

-Gives him limited access to his child

-Takes all his life savings to fund her debt and barely appreciates it

-Moves some bloke into her home who plays Daddy and admits it's just some piece of shag

-Planned to emigrate to Australia with her new fella

Just binge watched, the 3 series and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Think I am also in the minority, in that I prefer Neil Stuke, he was IMHO the funnier character, Ben Chaplin was just too serious to be funny.

Samantha J was particularly foxy and good enough reason to watch again:P

Yeah, it's a great series. Personally for me I did prefer Ben Chaplin but Neil Stuke was also great. I would have preferred it if they'd written him as a different character rather than playing the same person. All in all, a cracking 90s sitcom, which is a tad underrated.

Quote: smc4761 @ 20th October 2018, 5:19 PM

Just binge watched, the 3 series and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Think I am also in the minority, in that I prefer Neil Stuke, he was IMHO the funnier character, Ben Chaplin was just too serious to be funny.

Samantha J was particularly foxy and good enough reason to watch again:P

Glad somebody on here recognises Neil Stuke was funnier! You're right in saying that Ben Chaplin played it a bit too seriously and comparing the two actors, Neil Stuke simply delivered his put-downs to Martin in a much funnier and nasty way. Funnier facial experessions. I think it helps that Neil Stuke is a funny looking bloke whereas Ben Chaplin looked a bit of a model. Good looking people are never funny - that's why I am hilarious. ;-)

Quote: lofthouse @ 20th November 2011, 6:07 PM

The guy who played Martin didn't go on to do much did he?!

Ginger tosser...

Quote: Aaron @ 20th November 2011, 6:11 PM

Actually he's a successful and very busy theatre actor.

Currently touring, until April 13th, in the Tom Stoppard farce "Rough Crossing", which I am going to see at the Theatre Royal, Windsor tomorrow.

Quote: lofthouse @ 20th November 2011, 6:07 PM

The guy who played Martin didn't go on to do much did he?!

He's about to pop up in episodes 4 and 5 of "Pure".

He played a cop in an episode of Drop The Dead Donkey, too.

Ben Chaplin for me everytime.
I recently watched a couple of episodes on YouTube and his brooding menace towards Martin and fear of Mand was great unspoken comedy.

This was such a great series. I wasn't an avid telly watcher at the time it was being aired...being mostly covered in children and sick and a constant assortment of furry pets I couldn't help buying. But I watched this and it was such a welcome breath of fresh air (see above).

I think both actors did a great job with their own take on Matt's character. When the actor was changed, it felt a bit weird at first, but it didn't take long before I couldn't imagine Game On without Neil Stuke. I don't want to put it down to my being easily pleased, because that would devalue the point I'm trying to make, maybe. But, in general, I am easily pleased.

They really ought to do a reunion special of Game On - I'd like to think they're all still flat sharing, in a 'can't live with them, can't live without them' way. They could go off to Australia to visit Martin's now adult daughter or something - assuming that Matthew has overcome his agoraphobia. I was re-watching the second series the other week - the one where Eddie Marsan holds them all hostage is my favourite (so far).