For Facts Sake

New six-part panel show starting next Monday (15th) fronted by Brendan O'Carroll. The idea sounds good, I'm looking forward to it.

So long as the usual panel show guests aren't on it.

Never been a fan of Mrs Brown's Boys but will be interested to see Brendan as a presenter. If the fast wit and Irish charm are there it could be a hit.

Quote: beaky @ 6th October 2018, 9:44 PM

So long as the usual panel show guests aren't on it.

Apparently, there will be two teams competing under Brendan's chairmanship. Each team will be captained by one of the cast (on a rotating basis) from Mrs Brown's Boys and the team members will be chosen from the audience.

Does that sound like a winning formula?

He's f**king milking the brand a bit, isn't he?

Brendan O Carroll is a naturally funny man. It's a shame then that he subjects us to some of, in my opinion mind, the worst television in recent memory. This was cringe inducingly awful.

Didn't watch it but is it basically Duck Quacks Don't Echo and Ask Rhod Gilbert?

Brendan O'Carroll is a very special comedian indeed. You can put him into a sitcom which, on paper, lacks almost every ingredient required to succeed and it will turn into solid gold (if the purity of comedy gold can be measured by the size of the audience it attracts and how much that audience say they love it).

I wasn't surprised, therefore, when he was put into a panel show which, on paper, should struggle to attract any sort of audience even in the middle of the afternoon yet which the BBC had decided to broadcast in a prime-time post-watershed slot.

Having just watched the first episode, I wouldn't be surprised if he was about to pull it off (Ooooh, missus!) again.

I must admit after being a big fan of Mrs Brown's Boys, I really wanted to like this but I struggled with it too. Maybe the second episode might be a bit better?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th October 2018, 11:58 PM

a sitcom which, on paper, lacks almost every ingredient required to succeed

Has he been in a sitcom I've not heard of?

Mrs. Brown's Boys
- Working class
- Broad humour
- Family
- Domestic setting
- Gag-orientated
- Smut
- Physical humour and pratfalls
- Running gags
- Warm tone
- Ensemble cast

In what way is it anything but a checklist of components that make Britain's most popular ever sitcoms?

As for For Facts Sake, yes, it reminded me of Duck Quacks Don't Echo. A few oddities but enjoyable.

Quote: Aaron @ 19th October 2018, 12:40 AM

Mrs. Brown's Boys
- Working class
- Broad humour
- Family
- Domestic setting
- Gag-orientated
- Smut
- Physical humour and pratfalls
- Running gags
- Warm tone
- Ensemble cast

In what way is it anything but a checklist of components that make Britain's most popular ever sitcoms?

I didn't say it lacked components shared by Britain's most popular ever sitcoms. I said it lacked almost every ingredient essential for success.

If we think about a house constructed in typical fashion by Laurel and Hardy, as it collapses about their ears we cannot but acknowledge that it includes a great many components shared by almost every successfully-built and enduring house in the civilised world.

The reason for its failure, however, is not what was put into its construction but rather what wasn't.