Sitcom Recommendations Page 2

I'd highly recommend Rising Damp, Home to Roost and Only When I Laugh - a good Eric Chappell script can be just the ticket.

Thanks everyone!

There is a lot to choose here!

"Love" (with Gillian Jacobs) is an astonishingly good US sitcom, with full screen faces and comedy in situations (not in phrases). There are only 3 series (2016-18), I watched them twice all over again.

I'd definitely have a go at Nearest and Dearest (my all time favourite) and if you like that, try Not On Your Nellie also starring Hylda Baker.

Hylda was really funny with her malapropisms
"I was sat sitting here"
I often use myself.

Hylda was a national treasure.

My favourite lines of hers is:

There's sights to be seen
That shouldn't be seen
Because they're obscene
If you know what I mean

This doesn't fit your 'not modern' remit but Detectorists is a wonderful show and for me has a very similar type of feel to those sitcoms you described. It's very gentle and easy to watch.

My endorsement for The Detectorists and, perennial favourite, As Time Goes By. In the same vein, you might like A Fine Romance, On the Up, Goodnight Sweetheart, May to December.

Interesting to see Goodnight Sweetheart put in that vein - or indeed to a slightly lesser extent, May To December. I wouldn't have dreamed of them as similar in that regard!

I see your point but I was thinking of series that are "gentle" as opposed to having any whiff of being mean-spirited. Just one opinion.

In that sense, they certainly match. As do most things before the current century, and very little since, alas.

We live -- and keep watching -- in hope!

Young Ones, Fawlty Towers, I'm Alan Partridge, The Office, Porridge.