Why do you like surreal humour? Page 6

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 3rd October 2018, 10:57 AM

Sorry, I didn't realise we were updating/re-defining the English language. I thought you, particularly, like me, were against such things. :)

I am! That's why I'm so surprised that you seem to have redefined Surreal.

Since when did 'Surreal' definition mean something that NEVER would happen on a day by day basis?

Moments during OFITG are definitely surreal, no matter how you perceive it. Of course any scenario is possible if the tv show or film isn't supernatural themed. But just because it's not impossible for a plant pot to not be planted in a downstairs toilet, doesn't make it a non-surreal moment. Of course it's surreal. It's bizarre and unusual. That is what surrealism is.

surreal adjective
uk ? /s??r??l/ us ? /s??ri?.?l/
? strange; not seeming real; like a dream:

Here are the words associated with 'Surreal' or 'Surrealism' in the thesauras:

aberrant abnormal; add; bizarre; curious; incongruously; interesting; interestingly; joker in the pack; idiom; kinky; presence; preternatural quaint queer random way-out weird weirdly; weirdness; whacky

Boy I take this subject seriously.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 3rd October 2018, 7:40 PM

Since when did 'Surreal' definition mean something that NEVER would happen on a day by day basis?

It's down to personal taste but isn't that the reason for the name? If something never happens on a day to day basis then if it does happen it would be unexpected and sur-real. I think absurd is a better description and the surreal label has to be for when something is consistently out of this world and doesn't just add elements of it from time to time. An example would be a sitcom with a regular character that's a Prarie Dog. A heavy smoker with a deep voice and persistant cough. Surly and always tired but a helluva poker player.

Red Dwarf is surreal because the regular theme is based on events that couldn't be recreated in real life. Perhaps the sci-fi tag automatically qualifies it as surreal so that might be a bad example. In summary, anyone fancy a pint?

But all of these things COULD happen in real life. They're not impossible.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd October 2018, 11:50 PM

That makes it not surreal then?

Haven't you or people you know uttered the phrase "that was so surreal"? Because if you have (I know I have many times and heard people also use this phrase) then a comedy can be surreal/have surreal moments that can also happen in real life.

I really don't understand the logic that if it can happen, it's not surreal? Surreal doesn't have to be something that's impossible. It can be just weird! Unusual. Bizarre etc.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 2nd October 2018, 9:59 PM

Dead cat in a freezer?

Being asked to dog-sit a stuffed dog?

Live turtle burial?

The alien abductions?

Margaret's ghost caravan?

Gorilla costume mix-up?

Brothel beneath the chinese takeaway?

You should look up the definition of 'Surreal'.

There's a difference here, Tommy. You are right that there are somewhat surreal plots in One Foot In The Grave, but it's not actually surreal humour. It's all very much rooted in the real world, however extreme it may be!

Quote: Aaron @ 15th October 2018, 1:42 AM

There's a difference here, Tommy. You are right that there are somewhat surreal plots in One Foot In The Grave, but it's not actually surreal humour. It's all very much rooted in the real world, however extreme it may be!

I think we can agree that like you say, surreal plot points. There's nothing fanatical about the sitcom, so by definition, it isn't surreal in that sense, but I don't know how anyone couldn't view this and not see that there's plenty of surreal humourous moments throughout the series.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 15th October 2018, 3:49 PM

I don't know how anyone couldn't view this and not see that there's plenty of surreal humourous moments throughout the series.

I don't think anyone who knows the show would; the problem was the thread has been talking at crossed purposes, between surreal stories and surreal humour - which is much more along the fish-riding-bicycles kind of lines.

Quote: Aaron @ 15th October 2018, 1:42 AM

You are right that there are somewhat surreal plots in One Foot In The Grave,

...which is exactly what I said at the outset all those posts ago:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th September 2018, 10:49 AM

I have always considered some of the plotlines very surreal.

This thread is surreal

When people say surreal, they usually mean quirky.

Illogical to my mind.

True surrealism tonight in Vic and Bob's Big Night Out. Nothing makes sense but it's just so funny!

Yeah I'm siding with Beaky and Chappers on the term being much misused and overused in comedy if not for OFITG. There are probably more apt terms like offcentre, out of place, whacky, quirky, unexpected or absurd for the visual gags in OFITG than surreal, maybe, which is surely meant to have a dream like element like Chappers' cod on a bike or the floppy clock.

Reeves & Mortimer are the closest to being properly surreal imo. The effect of the visual gags in OFITG are some of the best in sitcom but are they really surreal? Hmm...closely related to it but they may need a definition of their own I fancy.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd October 2018, 11:50 PM

I agree, surreal ie. not real. Picking up a sausage dog in place of a phone looks strange and out of place but it could happen. It's very close indeed to looking surreal but still not sure it actually is, to be anal about it.