Buying out-of-print DVDs Page 2

It's a very American phrase.

'Out-of-print' could relate to DVD sleeves as well.

or it could mean you need some more ink.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th October 2018, 10:33 AM

I've looked into this matter a little further and it appears that the expression "DVD printing" refers to the process by which artwork is printed on the face of a DVD.

I am by no means convinced that the process by which the DVDs themselves are created is called "printing".

I have just looked a little further than you, across the hedge, past the statue of the Four Horsemen, I can tell you that DVD printing refers to both the manufacturing process and printing the artwork/text.

Quote: Kenneth @ 12th October 2018, 10:28 AM

I can tell you that DVD printing refers to both the manufacturing process and printing the artwork/text.

It sounds plausible but, having made even further enquiries, I have learned that the process of creating DVDs is known variously as DVD manufacture, DVD replication, DVD duplication, DVD pressing and DVD production but I can find no reference to DVD printing that refers to anything other than the placing of a graphic design on the face of the DVD.

If you can supply a link to a reputable source that describes the copying of data onto a DVD as "printing", this burning question (see what I did there?) might finally be answered.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 12th October 2018, 1:18 PM

If you can supply a link to a reputable source that describes the copying of data onto a DVD as "printing", this burning question (see what I did there?) might finally be answered.

Here you are: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/34636/2/#P1194613

My definitive answer on the argument about terminology is that a discontinued DVD should be referred to as having been "deleted". This is the industry standard term.

As to the original question re the acquisition of deleted titles, I go for eBay, musicMagpie and CeX. Occasionally Amazon Marketplace can come up trumps too. A few other sites were mentioned on the previous page that I've not heard of before, so will look them up shortly - thanks!

Found it on eBay for an affordable price, put in an offer, someone else's was accepted - looked at it afterwards and the winning offer was the same as mine, and put in two-and-a-half hours after mine, but they won >_< what did I cock up there?

Quote: Miss Reason @ 15th October 2018, 3:02 PM

Found it on eBay for an affordable price, put in an offer, someone else's was accepted - looked at it afterwards and the winning offer was the same as mine, and put in two-and-a-half hours after mine, but they won >_< what did I cock up there?

Are you sure your offer was submitted successfully? Was P&P included? Possible the other party wanted it as one of a number of things from the same seller ... or that they thought the offer wasn't good enough so got a friend to put one in and accepted it in order to nullify the transaction.

Quote: Miss Reason @ 15th October 2018, 3:02 PM

The most likely scenario is that the other offer, having been submitted two and a half hours after yours, appeared ABOVE yours in the seller's inbox. He therefore saw it first, read it first and, because yours wasn't higher, he accepted the 'first' offer even though it wasn't actually the first to arrive in his inbox.

Eugh I'm such a naive eBayer. Thanks for the insight though, at least I'll know for next time. I knew it was too good to be true when I saw the listing!

Quote: Miss Reason @ 15th October 2018, 3:25 PM

Eugh I'm such a naive eBayer. Thanks for the insight though, at least I'll know for next time. I knew it was too good to be true when I saw the listing!

I don't think that's naive at all. Missing out on something is better than paying way over the odds for it, believe me! Just keep an eye out for other listings. :)

I'm not sure it's much comfort but just re-watched this and really enjoyed it. It's in my list of sitcoms cancelled far too soon.

Did you find a copy?

I have owned this DVD for a few years now. Tim Brooke-Taylor is hilarious in it. It's just so mad. I hope you found a copy.