Newsjack Series 19 Page 24

Hi all. i'm just looking for some friendly advice. when do you guys start writing sketches? with the show going out on a Thursday i'm reluctant to start much before then as any news stories could pop up in the show. if i start Thursday / Friday those stories will be almost a week old by the time it airs. Sat & Sunday seem to be the right times, i that how you guys approach it?

Quote: Sheepstar @ 9th October 2018, 1:17 PM

Hi all. i'm just looking for some friendly advice. when do you guys start writing sketches? with the show going out on a Thursday i'm reluctant to start much before then as any news stories could pop up in the show. if i start Thursday / Friday those stories will be almost a week old by the time it airs. Sat & Sunday seem to be the right times, i that how you guys approach it?

Saturday and Sunday for me, then Monday morning if I have time.

I used to start on Sunday. This meant the topics could be about as up-to-date as possible, but the downside was that I'd be rushed to get two decent sketches done, and this left me less time for rewriting.

Now, I start Friday by scouring for stories, and add any that have potential to a text document. This takes about 15 minutes.

Saturday, I'll do another pass on the stories (another 10 minutes), and do a mind-map on any that seem to have sketch potential. By the end of Saturday, I'll have two sketches planned, with the premise and second-twist decided, but no jokes or actual dialog yet written. Maybe an hour of work, all-in-all.

Sunday is where I do the main body of writing. Because I've been planning for a few days, I find the process straightforward. It's like my primed brain has already been working on jokes behind the scenes, just waiting for me to sit at my keyboard. First drafts will also be rough, but being prepared early gives me lots of time to come back and re-write. Remember: good writing is re-writing. Sunday's writing takes me a couple of hours, I guess, but it's spread out through the whole day.

First thing Monday morning, I will give the sketches a read through and tweak; and then again at about 11:00-ish, when I finally submit.

I won't even think about one-liners until Monday evening, but I already have a lot of stories sourced to give me the raw material. And I keep an eye on the news in case anything crops up that I reckon is joke-worthy.

Don't worry so much about being cutting edge. Newsjack does cover the whole previous week, and in the past have even went back two weeks. My feeling is that news happening on the Friday onwards is fine.

Quote: Callooh Callay @ 9th October 2018, 2:05 PM

I used to start on Sunday. This meant the topics could be about as up-to-date as possible, but the downside was that I'd be rushed to get two decent sketches done, and this left me less time for rewriting.

Now, I start Friday by scouring for stories, and add any that have potential to a text document. This takes about 15 minutes.

Saturday, I'll do another pass on the stories (another 10 minutes), and do a mind-map on any that seem to have sketch potential. By the end of Saturday, I'll have two sketches planned, with the premise and second-twist decided, but no jokes or actual dialog yet written. Maybe an hour of work, all-in-all.

Sunday is where I do the main body of writing. Because I've been planning for a few days, I find the process straightforward. It's like my primed brain has already been working on jokes behind the scenes, just waiting for me to sit at my keyboard. First drafts will also be rough, but being prepared early gives me lots of time to come back and re-write. Remember: good writing is re-writing. Sunday's writing takes me a couple of hours, I guess, but it's spread out through the whole day.

First thing Monday morning, I will give the sketches a read through and tweak; and then again at about 11:00-ish, when I finally submit.

I won't even think about one-liners until Monday evening, but I already have a lot of stories sourced to give me the raw material. And I keep an eye on the news in case anything crops up that I reckon is joke-worthy.

Don't worry so much about being cutting edge. Newsjack does cover the whole previous week, and in the past have even went back two weeks. My feeling is that news happening on the Friday onwards is fine.

Thanks Callooh Callay, this gives a great insight into how others approach the timings. i know i only have one week left, but it helps with the structure!!

I start Saturday. I have a full time job so have to submit my work on Sunday evening. I sometimes have some gag writing time Monday evening. But I normally make sure I have 6 in place by then, just in case I can not think of anything new.

Due to having little time at home (newborn baby!) I usually have to rustle up some one-liners at work on Tuesday mornings. Not ideal!

This week it's:

BREAKING NEWS: Selfie deaths, Strictly snog, Only Fools musical
NEWSJACKIPEDIA: UFC, Pole/poll dance, Textbook racism

Been away for a little while but congratulations to AuditChris for getting a sketch in that's very good work. And well done to the others who got a credit or came close.

Quote: Kenny Bania @ 5th October 2018, 3:53 PM

The word you're looking for is 'intern'

Unpaid, of course

Just to say the person is NOT an intern and the position is definitely not unpaid. It's a Production Coordinator and they are usually you're first point of contact for queries and of course payment. It's always good to be nice to them!

parochial oneliners in along with some side-splittingly hilarious newsjackpedias, sketch was about NHS body parts but needed more time, all hinges on the voice acting IF it's even considered. It's the hope that kills!

bon chance amigos

Quote: Danno @ 10th October 2018, 9:34 AM

parochial oneliners in along with some side-splittingly hilarious newsjackpedias, sketch was about NHS body parts but needed more time, all hinges on the voice acting IF it's even considered. It's the hope that kills!

bon chance amigos

It's a valid point regarding the vocal skills of the performers. In the old days Lewis McLeod was a regular so you knew he would do brilliant impressions. The cast chops and changes so muck now it's a lucky dip.

Quote: StephenM @ 10th October 2018, 9:15 AM

Been away for a little while but congratulations to AuditChris for getting a sketch in that's very good work. And well done to the others who got a credit or came close

Thank you!

Quote: StephenM @ 10th October 2018, 9:15 AM

Been away for a little while but congratulations to AuditChris for getting a sketch in that's very good work. And well done to the others who got a credit or came close.

Just to say the person is NOT an intern and the position is definitely not unpaid. It's a Production Coordinator and they are usually you're first point of contact for queries and of course payment. It's always good to be nice to them!

I'm struggling enough to get something on ,and now I've only gone and insulted the production co-ordinator. That's my chance blown for the series

( apologies if any offence was taken )

Quote: Kenny Bania @ 10th October 2018, 11:26 AM

I'm struggling enough to get something on ,and now I've only gone and insulted the production co-ordinator. That's my chance blown for the series

I am sure they will not mind at all.

I now realise my sketch I spent more time on and that was finished was not as good a premise as I thought. The sketch I spent far too little time on was effectively unfinished though the premise was better. The oneliners are ones they will get hundreds on except for one that is maybe too old. Ah well. This realisation only seems to fully hit me once they are emailed.

Quote: Kenny Bania @ 10th October 2018, 11:26 AM

I'm sure people will understand an honest mistake.

Also I feel I should stick up for the Beeb as they always get the unpaid intern thing thrown at them but they are generally very good at paying writers rather than getting them to do it 'for exposure'. E.g. Newsjack and the additional material slots on The News Quiz. It might not be a king's ransom but it is pay!

Approaching the hour. Drum roll, please....

Sick bucket, please?

Good luck everyone.